TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Alas, new problem: Windshield Stress Fracture. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Vger, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Vger

Vger Active Member

While washing the car yesterday, I noticed a significant crack in our new (2+ week-old) windshield.

I believe that this is a stress fracture, and hence a manufacturing defect, and not related to a road hazard or other accident. Note that the crack proceeds from the free edge of the glass at its mounting, that it is forked from that side, and that there is absolutely no indication of an impact. There is no crater, circular mark, missing chip, etc.

I believe that this happened over the weekend while driving near Whistler, BC. I was alone in the car at night on a quiet road with no traffic, and heard a sudden "pop" somewhere in the car (could not place it at the time). It may be of note that this was the first time the car was subjected to freezing temperatures (-6º C).

Tesla has been contacted, and is being typically very cooperative. Update when I know more.

S02001 Windshield 1.JPG

2. rogbmw

rogbmw Member

Sounds like something may have hit the windshield even though you can see no signs of impact - that happened to me once unfortunately. Glad to see Tesla working with you.

3. keys

keys Member

Oh man, I would hate to have that happen to me! Indeed nice that Tesla is cooperative. Hopefully it'll be replaced soon.

4. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Yep, happened to me too. Noticed it after a couple hundred miles, but was very hard to notice from inside the car so don't know when exactly it popped up. Not as big as your's, coming up from bottom center.

Made a point of leaving the DS the hell alone for the last part of the year to do their deliveries and sent them a pic just the other day. Got a fairly prompt response that it had been passed on to service.

image002.jpg

5. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

One of our future Atlanta Model S owners reported that his car is being delayed due to a crack in the windshield that occurred during transit accross country.

6. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Does anyone have a clue as to how common spontaneus (or at least near spontaneus) cracks in the front windshield are in newly manufactured cars from established brands? I would think that you'd have a certain rate of this with all brands? And if it hasn't happened after the first few months, especially if these months includes periods with temp below freezing, it won't happen. Correct?

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The way to determine if it is a stress fracture or not is to run a ballpoint pen along the crack. If it sticks anyplace, it's a chip. If it doesn't, it's a stress fracture.

8. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

9. Dien Kim Nguyen

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    My windshield just showed a crack so similar Vger! I drove to work this morning and didn't see any crack, but when I got home late tonight and saw a crack at a similar location to Vger. I didn't hear any pop or a rock hitting the windshield at all -- wondering whether stress must have something to do with it? Vger, please let me know what is your resolution from Tesla. Thanks.

View attachment 15014

10. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

I had one happen on the driver's side when the BGC was about 3 weeks old. I drove with it until the San Diego service center opened, and they replaced it no problem.

11. Vger

Vger Active Member

Tesla has agreed to replace the windshield under warranty. They agreed that this was a stress fracture, and no fault of mine. It is taking some time to arrange, but it will happen in the next few weeks.

Get in touch with them right away. Apparently quite a few of these have happened, so Tesla Service overall should be aware of the problem.

12. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Of course, now I'm curious how widespread this problem is. The windshield isn't made in house, is it? Surely it's from a subcontractor? I wonder if it's an assembly problem or a bad batch of glass or a storage problem or what. Hopefully for Tesla's profits it's either not very common or the responsibility of a subcontractor...

13. Laumb

Laumb smrtass.

This happened to my friends A4 shortly after getting it.
    He was backing up into the self service wash (a small, steep "bump" in) and when the car was at the top it had a weird angle to the suspension, then it cracked.

Also experienced it In a Hyundai. My guess would be a bad batch of glass from the manufacturer.

_____
    Tapatalkin' from iTalatut.

14. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

Mine has a crack exactly like Vger's except on the drivers side. My Speedometer screen has a Needs service alert and when I called ownership and told them about the 10" crack that just developed overnight, she knew exactly where it started and what it would look like. Spot on. They are ordering a replacement. They are still looking through the logs though on why I have a servie alert message on my screen.

15. smd

smd Member

This has happened to a number of windshields and is almost always in the lower passenger side. I found it on mine a week ago and it will be replaced under warranty next week. Some speculate that the robot arms are placing the windshield down too forcefully during assembly.

16. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

A saw a car getting it's windshield replaced at the service center when I as picking up my car... not a pretty sight as to what they have to do to replace it....

17. 85KWh

85KWh Member

OMFG, I just noticed exactly the same thing on mine today and I have only had it less than 2 weeks. It is in exactly the same spot as yours and looks exactly the same !!!! No chips or damage otherwise either.
    Waiting to hear back from Tesla, what have you heard ?
    c

IMG_5258.jpg

18. Andrew18

Andrew18 Member

My windshield just did the same thing today in the same place. I live north of Chicago , VIN 680.

19. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

My replacement windshield arrived at my local service center. Expect a day and half for installation, not sure why so long, but possibly for the adhesives to cure properly. I'm guessing they'll have to remove the hood too.

85KWh, Tesla seems to be aware of the issues with the windshield, they'll replace as part of the warranty.

20. Sig698

Sig698 Model S Sig Perf #698

I just got mine fixed, it started at eye level on the drivers side and consisted of 2 cracks that made in X shape. Tesla was very good in taking care of it for me.