Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alas, new problem: Windshield Stress Fracture. Anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious to know whether the replacement windshields work with parking and EZPass transponders. My parking transponder doesn't work in the supposedly uncoated area of my windshield. Since some people's do work, that makes me think there is a manufacturing defect in some windshields--which could qualify for a warranty replacement.

Curios to know ..... anyone who has received a new windshield:

Is the OEM blacked out areas the same?
Is there any distortion in the lower inch or so? Worse/better?

Rock trapped under wiper

I take mine back. Mine was actually due to a rock that got trapped under the windshield wiper arm. What a weird angle for a rock to come in...

I had the same thing happen to mine, first noticed the crack on the 31st of dec, called Tesla on the 2nd of jan. By the time I took it in it looked exactly like the pic Trnsl8r posted on the first page of this thread. This was during a time of extreme cold at night here in CA

Tesla claimed it was due to a rock hitting the windscreen behind the wiper blade so I was charged full price for the replacement.

Now that I'm seeing other people with the exact same crack as mine I'm really wondering if the small chip they claimed was an impact was really the cause of the crack or a result of it, and perhaps the cold and stress were to blame.

Tesla claimed it was due to a rock hitting the windscreen behind the wiper blade so I was charged full price for the replacement.

The service advisor at Fremont wanted to charge me full price also by claiming that it was due to a tiny chip which you could barely see and had to feel to initially find it. I argued that a chip that small should NOT be causing cracks unless the windshield was flawed. There are tiny chips all over all kinds of cars WITHOUT cracks. He went back to the manager and got it approved to cover under warranty in a few minutes.

I had the same thing happen to mine, first noticed the crack on the 31st of dec, called Tesla on the 2nd of jan. By the time I took it in it looked exactly like the pic Trnsl8r posted on the first page of this thread. This was during a time of extreme cold at night here in CA

Now that I'm seeing other people with the exact same crack as mine I'm really wondering if the small chip they claimed was an impact was really the cause of the crack or a result of it, and perhaps the cold and stress were to blame.

How much are they charging for a replacement?

Mine cracked yesterday, in exactly the same place as the original poster. Spoke with Tesla Seattle service and they have a windscreen on order.

Shame, as I love the car, but I also have a problem with the rear drivers side handle not recessing as well....

One more here :mad:

I think this may push me over the edge. I've blown off or made light of so many issues, but this cracked window staring at me (and everyone else) is really discouraging....

Drove the car yesterday and put it away last night with perfect windshield then got in to take my daughter to her basketball game today and there it was...

I'll give Tesla a chance to fix it, but they've been pretty silent on most everything else so far. If they don't open the local Service Center soon and get on this growing list I'm going to feel compelled to take some sort of action.

Apparently, my car has been built, and I am waiting for delivery. This issue concerns me greatly because I live so far away from any Tesla service center. It sounded like one poster was able to have the windshield replaced elsewhere and did not require a long drive to get it fixed. Is this right? Is it something that a ranger can fix? There is a "Windshield World" right in town, and I'm wondering if they would qualify to fix it. Thanks in advance--hopefully, whatever the answer, I will never need to put it into practice!

We need George B. to chime in on this. I'm reasonably near a service centre but I don't want to be taking the car there on a monthly basis for a new windshields. Did that with the VW TDI (not for windshields though).

Has anyone had to have multiple windshields replaced?

We need George B. to chime in on this. I'm reasonably near a service centre but I don't want to be taking the car there on a monthly basis for a new windshields. Did that with the VW TDI (not for windshields though).

Re: ranger replacement... I don't see why not. I've had 2 guys replace the windshield on my van in my driveway before.

> I've had 2 guys replace the windshield on my van in my driveway before. [mnx]

But these guys do this all day, every day, and are really good at it.

Cracks 'always' originate from a chip or tiny nick in the very outer edge (upper edge or lower edge). I used to protect good antique windshields before installing by carefully sanding these 2 edges all around. Using 400 grit paper. Had to completely remove each imperfection. Really paid off.

Clear off snow from windshield asap!! Worst case = snow on bottom half & top half getting hot from morning sun. In WY 'all' windshields eventually get multiple cracks flying in all directions. Luckily no vehicle inspection here, otherwise we'd all go broke trying to maintain perfect glass.
--

Clear off snow from windshield asap!! Worst case = snow on bottom half & top half getting hot from morning sun. In WY 'all' windshields eventually get multiple cracks flying in all directions. Luckily no vehicle inspection here, otherwise we'd all go broke trying to maintain perfect glass.

Interesting. In 30+ years of vehicle ownership, I've had to replace exactly one windshield. My wife's car caught a stone, and the chip turned into a large crack after about 1 1/2 years. Otherwise, never even had the slightest problem with windshields. All kinds of snow/ice/ flying debris issues here in Canada too!