Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alas, new problem: Windshield Stress Fracture. Anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Add mine to the list!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363903544.727456.jpg

Appointment to get it fixed on the 28th with the 3rd row seat installation.

photo (23).JPG

My wife discovered an L shaped crack that starts at the lower right of the windshield yesterday. Argh! I've had my car for almost 3 months now and have put 3,000 miles on it.

I've contacted my local Tesla service center here in Houston and hopefully they'll take care of it. Like others, I'm the only one that's been driving my car and I haven't heard anything hit the windshield. Best I can tell, it showed up overnight one night!

Mine was also replaced for the same reasons but the Tesla Techs noticed a blemish in my windshield and have asked me to bring it back to replace again. I appreciate the attention to detail and will happily bring it back to get it done right.

View attachment 19300

My wife discovered an L shaped crack that starts at the lower right of the windshield yesterday. Argh! I've had my car for almost 3 months now and have put 3,000 miles on it.

I've contacted my local Tesla service center here in Houston and hopefully they'll take care of it. Like others, I'm the only one that's been driving my car and I haven't heard anything hit the windshield. Best I can tell, it showed up overnight one night!

Exactly like my spontaneous crack - I reported it on 3/12; got the windshield replaced on 3/30. The auto glass installer said that he has replaced 12 windshields to date....

Mine cracked on the driver's side in the same two curved line fashion last Friday. No road debris, just a click noise and a pretty crack that is growing day by day. I am scheduled to get it replaced Tuesday morning, as they have an installer coming in to do other cars. Bummer is I had just had the car hand washed at lunch, and the crack happened on the way home from work.

Mirror attachment in wrong place?

Just had the windshield replaced. Took almost 2 hours, done in my garage. When all done they said we have a problem, the rearview mirror mounting plate is in the wrong location and the plastic cover will not go on. Anyone else have this issue?

I must be really unlucky with the windshields. My original one cracked in Jan and was replaced at the Fremont Service Center. A couple of days ago, another crack in my new windshield appeared in the lower right corner as it sat in my garage overnight. I called Fremont and tried to get valet service for my car. They said valet service is only offered from the center closest to my home, which is the new San Rafael center. Now I have to wait 2 weeks for them to have a loaner car available so I can get valet/loaner service to replace the windshield as well as try to fix the panoramic roof creak that I also have. :crying:

Mine cracked on Thursday on the driver's side after 7000 miles. Orange County service center has us scheduled for June 3--I hope it holds until then. The lower of two cracks has grown to about 18". They said it will take 3 days to replace but I will get a model S loaner.

Do we have any idea how common this is? Less than 1%??

Wondering that myself. We're seeing a lot of "me too's", but it is probably still a small percentage. I notice when cleaning the car that the windshield has a curve, almost a ridge at about the half way point, and then there's that distortion at the bottom. I'm assuming this has something to do with the car's aerodynamics and wonder if the glass design (as opposed to some installation problem) has more to do with it.

I have never heard of this type of thing with other auto manufacturers. Anyone ever heard of similar with another brand?

I did this to my Grand Cherokee lately. There's a band of plastic trim that covers the lower inch or so of the windshield at the bottom. I noticed where two screws were missing at each of the outer corners, so I replaced them... and tightened them down. Not overly so, but to what I felt was secure. 24 hours later I had a crack start at the driver's side. As I've driven the car over the next couple of weeks, that crack stretched and ran up about 4 to 6" but all the way across to the other corner now. I'll be replacing this glass this coming week.

I'm wondering if Tesla is over tightening at the corners... that and/or if the windshield seat is not formed to the glass shape properly (or vice/versa)?

First post, and sad to say, reporting another cracked windshield. I was sitting at a red light, Wed, May 29, no cars passing me, nothing fell on windshield, just heard a small pop, and from the passenger side, close to the top, a crack went about an inch (or two) straight across. First day it veered almost straight downward, but has since also continued across the top of the windshield (about 10 inches down and also about 10 inches across). Just passed 5800 miles on my silver bullet (since Feb 25 Fremont pick-up, and very happy about my 331Wh/mi).

Scheduled to have it serviced at local SD Service Center June 12, hope this crack does not grow too much farther before then, or worse.

Dropped mine off at Fremont this morning for windshield replacement. No big deal. Replacing it goes quickly but it needs to sit for X hours and cure. I was told I could pick up around five. Got a rental from Enterprise as part of the deal. All on warranty.

And feast your eyes of the view from their parking lot. Easily 100+ Model S waiting for treatment and owners...

View attachment 15609

Don't want to jinx myself, but just to add some good news to this thread that since getting the windshield replaced on February 1, I've driven about 6000 miles without any cracks.

How long did it take for people to get their windshield replaced once they dropped the car off? I dropped my car off for windshield replacement and other things.

No loaners were available so I got a dino mobile. I was so sad inside driving the thing. Can't wait to get my car back.