Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alas, new problem: Windshield Stress Fracture. Anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After everything tesla is trying to blame this on me. Service manager is trying to tell me that it is possible for a rock to hit the widnshield underneath the wipers and where hood is covering any possible way for a rock to hit.

A crack as the result of debris impact will generally bave at least a small impact crater in the crack initiation region. The stress cracks many have been getting will have no crater, but instead will start at an edge and propagate inward.

If the characteristics reflect the latter and not the former, fight back, and take it up the chain if needed. Unfortunately there is a well-established history of windshield stress cracks, so they don't have much ground to stand on.

Unfortunately, I have to add another "me too" to this discussion. Happened Monday afternoon. Drove the car to lunch no rocks or impacts, parked the car, came out to leave for the day and I had a crack running from the driver's side edge and it curves down to the bottom of the windshield. It hasn't gotten worse but I haven't driven the car at speed since it happened.

Unfortunately, I have to add another "me too" to this discussion. Happened Monday afternoon. Drove the car to lunch no rocks or impacts, parked the car, came out to leave for the day and I had a crack running from the driver's side edge and it curves down to the bottom of the windshield. It hasn't gotten worse but I haven't driven the car at speed since it happened.

So, do we know how common this problem is? Obviously TMC must know and hopefully have a 'fix'/plan to prevent? Anyone who has had the crack asked? Thanks

Mine happened 2 weeks ago - I heard it happen while not driving, but in my driveway. Loud pop that nearly had me duck for cover - but no crack anywhere that I could see. Until 12 hours later. Mid-way up, passenger side, crack starts from edge, no crater that I cant tell. Each day for the first week it spread 3-4 inches up and down. Scheduled for Tuesday replacement.

Mine is a sweeping Y shape, started at the passenger side mid height and came across about 2" then split in 2; one sweeping up the other sweeping down, each about 3" before I had a crack repair outfit stop it and inject it. Car was parked and when I came back 1 hour later, there it was. Can hardly see it, so I'm good for now.

count me in. 5500 miles; car 4.5 months old. 2/3 of the way down on the passenger side, starting on the edge. no crater or pitting. does anyone know if Tesla can do a mobile replacement? if not, how long did the replacement take at the service center? thanks in advance.

I just developed the same crack as in in the picture in the initial post of this thread. I think it actually happened at the Villa Park (IL) Service Center. I was getting my tires rotated and some due bill/bulletin items. They moved my car outside to get out my Roadster loaner (yay!). They called me a couple of hours later and told me about the crack. I'm pretty sure it hadn't been there before, and it spread significantly in the 18 hours between when they sent me a picture and when I saw it in person. They initially thought it was a non-warranty item, but then determined that it was covered by the warranty. They indicated that the warranty coverage was VIN-specific, as they had remedied the problem (too thin glass?) for more recently produced cars. Mine is VIN 3287, Jan. 2013 delivery, 4500 miles. By the way, the Villa Park Service seems like a good shop and the people I've interacted with there have all been great.

I just developed the same crack as in in the picture in the initial post of this thread. I think it actually happened at the Villa Park (IL) Service Center. I was getting my tires rotated and some due bill/bulletin items. They moved my car outside to get out my Roadster loaner (yay!). They called me a couple of hours later and told me about the crack. I'm pretty sure it hadn't been there before, and it spread significantly in the 18 hours between when they sent me a picture and when I saw it in person. They initially thought it was a non-warranty item, but then determined that it was covered by the warranty. They indicated that the warranty coverage was VIN-specific, as they had remedied the problem (too thin glass?) for more recently produced cars. Mine is VIN 3287, Jan. 2013 delivery, 4500 miles. By the way, the Villa Park Service seems like a good shop and the people I've interacted with there have all been great.

This issue has been resolved in production, but I don't know for how long. Over at TM forums someone indicated that the fractures were due to the edge of the windshield having a chamfered edge, creating a weak point that would crack towards the center from the edge. New Model S owners are reporting that the edge of the windshield is no longer chamfered, but squared off.

I take mine back. Mine was actually due to a rock that got trapped under the windshield wiper arm. What a weird angle for a rock to come in...

I think that Tesla should have designed the windshield to have a rubber trim surrounding it. The edges are the weakest part to glass and having a rubber molding around it like other cars can potentially save it at least from rocks.

This past week, my windshield cracked from bottom of passenger side corner sweeping up in an arc to the top corner. At first, I saw no impact mark, but upon closer inspection (with magnifying glass), I saw 3 impact marks, one directly above the crack. My VIN is relatively early (P01564) so it's an older windshield. But there are impact marks so I am going to have to pay the piper.

I wonder though, if the high stress of the early windshields leave the glass more susceptible to cracking with the smallest impacts (I needed a magnifying glass to see the mark). If that is the case, I hope what is being reported is true, that Tesla has resolved the problem. In any case, the windshield will be replaced by Tesla tomorrow.