Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alaska Highway Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There would have to be enough vehicles willing & capable to travel that route before Tesla would invest in expanding to connect the lower 48 to AK.

Bragging rights?

Past supercharger build patterns might suggest a 3rd criterion: that sites only get built after other higher priority sites get built (or, alternatively, they get built in large multi-site deals with chain hosts). In recent years, I'd guess that 95%+ of supercharger stalls are built to expand capacity (relieve overcrowding), rather than to expand coverage (see, for example, California). I understand that Tesla has been working to increase supercharger hardware production, as well as human capacity for permitting, etc. But with Tesla selling cars like hotcakes and poised to open superchargers to non-Tesla EVs, more effort than ever will be required to mitigate overcrowding.

For better or worse, the most immediate issue for Tesla with increasing production (Cybertruck or no Cybertruck), will continue to be expanding overall capacity, rather than expanding geographic coverage. Let's hope they get out ahead of this, but I'm not holding my breath. More likely, gaps will be filled in with 3rd party, slower, CCS chargers before they get superchargers.

I can't wait for that trip up the AK highway superchargers in 2028! :)

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz
This is how I see the Supercharger network taking shape through BC, YT and AK. I combed through hundreds of miles of roads and power lines on various maps and I think all of these locations have grid power (a few might be on diesel micro grids). The longest gaps are around Watson Lake with 161 miles to the west and 202 miles to the east... there just isn’t much out there.

Just is a work in progress. I’ll keep exploring other highways and connecting the dots as I come across potential Supercharger candidates.

View attachment 647720

I put together what I consider to be a reasonable Supercharger plan for the Cassair Highway. It appears that the HV grid does not run any farther north than the Red Chris Mine, stopping just short of Iskut. This could have changed, as I'm not sure what the dates are on the satellite maps I'm using.

Click the attachment link in the quoted post to see my original map of the Alcan Highway.

Anyway, here it is:

Cassair Highway Superchargers (pins).png
Cassair Highway Superchargers (names).png

Not Superchargers, but Plugshare is now showing new 50kW CCS\CHAdeMO chargers in Yukon along the Alaska highway at Watson Lake, Teslin, and Haines Junction. There's also a new one in up in Dawson City. All free of charge for the time being. There are older ones along the highway as well in Whitehorse and Marsh Lake, and another South of Whitehorse in Carcross on the route toward Skagway.

Watson lake: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You (274km NW of Rockies Lodge at Muncho lake with a level 2 option)

Teslin: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You (260km West from Watson Lake, 178km East of Whitehorse which has two older 50kw locations, as well as one in Marsh Lake 125km West of Teslin)

Haines Junction: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You (125km West of Whitehorse. Was used last August for the first time)

Dawson City: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You (532km North of Whitehorse)

Not Superchargers, but Plugshare is now showing new 50kW CCS\CHAdeMO chargers in Yukon along the Alaska highway at Watson Lake, Teslin, and Haines Junction. There's also a new one in up in Dawson City. All free of charge for the time being. There are older ones along the highway as well in Whitehorse and Marsh Lake, and another South of Whitehorse in Carcross on the route toward Skagway.

Watson lake: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You (274km NW of Rockies Lodge at Muncho lake with a level 2 option)

Teslin: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You (260km West from Watson Lake, 178km East of Whitehorse which has two older 50kw locations, as well as one in Marsh Lake 125km West of Teslin)

Haines Junction: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You (125km West of Whitehorse. Was used last August for the first time)

Dawson City: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You (532km North of Whitehorse)
Wow, amazing! I think this means that the Yukon has completed basic Level 3 charging infrastructure for their section of the Alaska Highway, at least for longer range EVs! Though they might need another one to split the 200 miles between Haines Junction and the Alaska border. Now we need BC to do their section from Dawson Creek to the Yukon border!!

It is great that 50kW now is “drivable “ all the way to Haines Jct. Yes, it is absolutely mandatory that the next one be placed along Kluane Lake - Yukon Electric has generators sufficient for the purpose either at Destruction Bay or Burwash Landing - before Beaver Ck on the YT-AK border. Burwash (and on reflection I think its just a transformer substation of the D. Bay generator) is slightly preferable as the stretch to the west perennially has some of the worst (no; THE worst) road conditions between any highway systems and either Fairbanks or Anchorage.
More specifically, YukonElec’s genset sits on a hillock at the local welder’s immediately adjacent and to the east of The Talbot Arms at Destruction Bay, for those familiar with that country. The welder has told me he is amenable to having a plug-in emplaced there.
I don’t know anyone specifically living in Beaver but from having scouted out the village many times, the jobber who owns the tow truck service seems the best-placed property.
Regardless, things get trivky to the west. There’s absolutely nothing at the Border station, aka “Port Alcan” (USBP is quite proprietary of their spot and ‘never’ have been receptive of sharing it with anything remotely beneficial to motorists of any stripe. There IS a service center just three miles further west but, unfortunately, it has been open only intermittently over the past 5-6 years - that lonely site is really a tough spot for someone to run a business.
So the only even potentially possible site for reliable electricity is at the junction to Northway; this is a 60-mile hop from Beaver Ck.
From that intersection it is 50 miles to Tok, the first “real” town in Alaska.
I would never counsel making light of the “only”. 110 miles between Beaver and Tok. The road surface is usually gnarly, its curves and the kind of pavement (chip seal) eats up kWh like popcorn, and in winter ….well, then it’s like popcorn in gromt of both me AND Gus.

It is great that 50kW now is “drivable “ all the way to Haines Jct. Yes, it is absolutely mandatory that the next one be placed along Kluane Lake - Yukon Electric has generators sufficient for the purpose either at Destruction Bay or Burwash Landing - before Beaver Ck on the YT-AK border. Burwash (and on reflection I think its just a transformer substation of the D. Bay generator) is slightly preferable as the stretch to the west perennially has some of the worst (no; THE worst) road conditions between any highway systems and either Fairbanks or Anchorage.
More specifically, YukonElec’s genset sits on a hillock at the local welder’s immediately adjacent and to the east of The Talbot Arms at Destruction Bay, for those familiar with that country. The welder has told me he is amenable to having a plug-in emplaced there.
I don’t know anyone specifically living in Beaver but from having scouted out the village many times, the jobber who owns the tow truck service seems the best-placed property.
Regardless, things get trivky to the west. There’s absolutely nothing at the Border station, aka “Port Alcan” (USBP is quite proprietary of their spot and ‘never’ have been receptive of sharing it with anything remotely beneficial to motorists of any stripe. There IS a service center just three miles further west but, unfortunately, it has been open only intermittently over the past 5-6 years - that lonely site is really a tough spot for someone to run a business.
So the only even potentially possible site for reliable electricity is at the junction to Northway; this is a 60-mile hop from Beaver Ck.
From that intersection it is 50 miles to Tok, the first “real” town in Alaska.
I would never counsel making light of the “only”. 110 miles between Beaver and Tok. The road surface is usually gnarly, its curves and the kind of pavement (chip seal) eats up kWh like popcorn, and in winter ….well, then it’s like popcorn in gromt of both me AND Gus.
Interesting info, thanks. Per this map from the Yukon government, fast chargers are eventually planned for Beaver Creek and Burwash Landing: https://yukon.ca/sites/yukon.ca/files/emr/emr-electric-vehicle-charging-stations-handout.pdf

Great link - thank you. Apologies for the rather interesting typos in my above post, although I could get quite attached to "gromt".;)
And I had meant to explain why I used parentheses around 'never' when referring to Port Alcan. The personnel attached there rotate out very frequently. Don't take this as the last word, but I think it's about a three-year stint. That can mean that a single commanding officer there might have a different opinion....but however the USBP heirarchy is structured, it is rather apparent that servicing traffic in any fashion - whether EVs, ICE, mule sledge... - is anathema to their mission.

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
It looks like the Alaska Energy Authority is planning on using VW funds for fast chargers in Delta Junction, Tok, and Glennallen: Electric Vehicles. Delta Junction and Tok would result in chargers every 100 miles or so from Fairbanks to the (future) charger at Beaver Creek, YT, thus covering the Alaska portion of the Alaska Highway. Glennallen would split the 300 miles between future Tok and Chugiak chargers on the Tok Cut-off and Glenn highways.

I remember well my days surveying in Burwash Landing and Haines Junction in the early 90's before EVs were even a thing except in some visionaries minds. If Burwash Landing gets a Level 3 or a Supercharger that means there is hope for everyplace in the Western world.
Wow, amazing! I think this means that the Yukon has completed basic Level 3 charging infrastructure for their section of the Alaska Highway, at least for longer range EVs! Though they might need another one to split the 200 miles between Haines Junction and the Alaska border. Now we need BC to do their section from Dawson Creek to the Yukon border!!

More than Healy or Trapper Creek, I need 'em in Delta Jct and Glennallen, but anywhere is better than nowhere.
It is super-rare for me to use the Parks Highway in the past decade or two.

Moderator note: Moved a handful of posts about a new Supercharger site (in permitting as of this writing) to this thread:

Bruce.

I remember well my days surveying in Burwash Landing and Haines Junction in the early 90's before EVs were even a thing except in some visionaries minds. If Burwash Landing gets a Level 3 or a Supercharger that means there is hope for everyplace in the Western world.
Regarding Burwash Landing and Beaver Creek, it looks like those DC fast charger locations should be activated by the end of the year according to the linked press release and pdf map that came out at the end of February. Those two locations along with another between Whitehorse and Haines Junction should complete the route through Yukon for CCS\CHAdeMO. Just need BC to come through with putting some in the NE to make it viable to get to as far as the Yukon/Alaska border on the alaska highway route.

"Just need BC to come through with putting some in the NE to make it viable to get to as far as the Yukon/Alaska border on the alaska highway route."

Just a bit of an edit as it occurred to me that since Beaver Creek is on the Alaska/Yukon border, one could fully charge there and get 250-500km into Alaska depending on model of car, road/weather conditions, and possession of an adapter ;)

Fairbanks is 501km from Beaver Creek, Delta Junction 348km, and Glennallen 399km. Plugshare says the Caribou Hotel in Glennallen has 14-50 charging in the RV park for $25USD. So once Yukon finishes their last CCS/CHAdeMO, one could maybe go from Watson Lake to Anchorage with only one level II charge in Glennallen, 288km East of Anchorage. There is also a garage in Fort Nelson BC that allows 14-50 charging (513km SE of Watson Lake, 381km N of Fort St John). Of course, getting from Prince George or Edmonton to Watson lake is still an issue even with the 14-50 in Fort Nelson and several level II options in Fort St John. PG looks better with a 25kw DC charger coming to Mcleod Lake, and one already in East Pine rest area.

I've emailed PluginBC to inform them of the Yukon government's progress and to find out if there are any plans for DC fast chargers in Northeast BC, and to suggest to them that if there aren't that they install level II chargers along the route to Watson Lake as a relatively quick to install stop gap. Others who are interested in the route could contact them as well with similar questions/suggestions. If they get enough input, perhaps it could get things moving. There is already a level II charger at the ServiceBC government office in Fort St John, as well as at the city hall. There is a service BC office in Fort Nelson where one could be installed (same location as the local Chamber of Commerce and public library). Service BC Location: Fort Nelson Home - Fort Nelson & District Chamber of Commerce, BC

Last edited:
I cannot imagine being able to get from Beaver Creek to Glennallen without charging. The two stretches of road - the AK Hwy from Beaver to Tok, and the "Cutoff" between Tok and Glennallen, rank, as I've indicated before, as some of the worst North America has to offer. I have sometimes recorded half the diesel mpg vs normal on either of those stretches. They also are tread-eaters.

For me, a high-level charger in Tok is an absolute must.

"Fast charging stations are rarely more than 150 km apart within a built-out route: HWY 16’s charging stations are now online. HWYs 37 and 97 north charging stations remain to be built."

No timeline of course, but nice to see those routes specifically mentioned.

Last edited:
Just a slight update, though it's still not supercharger related. The city of Fort Nelson replied to me to let me know they've installed and activated a nema 14-50 plug at their local park, so now there's an option outside of asking the local mechanic's shop for an overnight charge.