Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alaska Highway Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received some GREAT news from my source with Tesla Alaska. As Elon promised, the AlCan is going to be joining the supercharger highway! My source couldn't guarantee any specific dates, but he did say that there would be a big effort to complete the project during the spring/summer construction season so hopefully it will be completed in September or October.

The list of sites is as follows (number of stalls in parenthesis):

-100 Mile House (8)
-Quesnel (8)
-Prince George (16, urban)
-McLeod Lake (8)
-Chetwynd (8)
-Dawson Creek (20)
-Fort St. John (8)
-Buckinghorse River (8)
-Fort Nelson (8)
-Toad River (4)
-Liard River (4)
-Watson Lake (8)
-Tesla (8)
-Whitehorse (20, urban)
-Haines Junction (8)
-Burwash Landing (8)
-Beaver Creek (8)
-Tesla Junction (40)
-Delta Junction (8)
-Fairbanks (18, urban)

Clearly they have really put some thought into this rollout and have appropriately provided urban superchargers for the throngs of current and future Tesla owners in the larger cities along this route. My main concerns are the likely chokepoints of both Toad River and Liard River (only 4 stalls each!) as well as the 160+ mile gap between Watson Lake and Teslin. That could be a really tough leg in the winter in a 60.

And did I mention that the towns of Teslin and Tetlin Junction both agreed to alter their names in an effort to attract a supercharger? How cool is that? At the now-named, Tesla Junction, they are in the process of re-purposing an old gas station, building out a 40-stall mega supercharger along with a fast food barbecue restaurant complete with carhops who, in addition to taking your food order, will also plug in your car for you. This is a wonderful location for a 40-stall mega charger as it will also serve the crossroads, enabling electric travel to popular destinations such as Gakona and Chicken.

Lastly, the source says that the Parks Highway should not be far behind so Anchorage will eventually get some supercharger love as well. No word yet on when the Dalton, Dempster and Cassiar highways will be lit up, but we sure can dream!

Have you heard any updates on the Alaska Highway network expansion?
Thanks.

Two interesting things:
  • Tesla is now including a quarter in most of their estimated opening dates for new Superchargers.
  • They have an estimated date of Q3 2021 for a Supercharger in Alaska.
Alaska Supercharger.png

Locals have known about plans at Whistle Hill in Soldotna for some time. Unfortunately this is nowhere close to the Alaska Hwy.
I thought the Whistle Hill reference is to the Destination Charger there. Isn’t this SpC different?

And in other, related locations, the new map shows the 2021 SpC net finally heading north to Prince George. That’s good progress.

Palmer has a Destination Charger!

This is behind the Downtown Deli. It has been active since at least Wednesday (27 Jan 2021). As of this posting, it does not show on the tesla.com map page, which still contains only the WhistleStop site in Soldotna.
CB7F21AF-F341-4515-9AC8-D2E42992AE4A.jpeg

So, at long last, we're finally getting a tiny amount of the 21st century here in Alaska. Yay.

Palmer has a Destination Charger!

This is behind the Downtown Deli. It has been active since at least Wednesday (27 Jan 2021). As of this posting, it does not show on the tesla.com map page, which still contains only the WhistleStop site in Soldotna.
View attachment 632477

So, at long last, we're finally getting a tiny amount of the 21st century here in Alaska. Yay.

The first reported charge at this location was June 3, 2020. It appears to be a popular location.

PlugShare - Turkey Red, Palmer, AK