Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alaska Highway Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PLUS EV

Running on Empty
Sep 16, 2016
Seattle
Just received some GREAT news from my source with Tesla Alaska. As Elon promised, the AlCan is going to be joining the supercharger highway! My source couldn't guarantee any specific dates, but he did say that there would be a big effort to complete the project during the spring/summer construction season so hopefully it will be completed in September or October.

The list of sites is as follows (number of stalls in parenthesis):

-100 Mile House (8)
-Quesnel (8)
-Prince George (16, urban)
-McLeod Lake (8)
-Chetwynd (8)
-Dawson Creek (20)
-Fort St. John (8)
-Buckinghorse River (8)
-Fort Nelson (8)
-Toad River (4)
-Liard River (4)
-Watson Lake (8)
-Tesla (8)
-Whitehorse (20, urban)
-Haines Junction (8)
-Burwash Landing (8)
-Beaver Creek (8)
-Tesla Junction (40)
-Delta Junction (8)
-Fairbanks (18, urban)

Clearly they have really put some thought into this rollout and have appropriately provided urban superchargers for the throngs of current and future Tesla owners in the larger cities along this route. My main concerns are the likely chokepoints of both Toad River and Liard River (only 4 stalls each!) as well as the 160+ mile gap between Watson Lake and Teslin. That could be a really tough leg in the winter in a 60.

And did I mention that the towns of Teslin and Tetlin Junction both agreed to alter their names in an effort to attract a supercharger? How cool is that? At the now-named, Tesla Junction, they are in the process of re-purposing an old gas station, building out a 40-stall mega supercharger along with a fast food barbecue restaurant complete with carhops who, in addition to taking your food order, will also plug in your car for you. This is a wonderful location for a 40-stall mega charger as it will also serve the crossroads, enabling electric travel to popular destinations such as Gakona and Chicken.

Lastly, the source says that the Parks Highway should not be far behind so Anchorage will eventually get some supercharger love as well. No word yet on when the Dalton, Dempster and Cassiar highways will be lit up, but we sure can dream!

Ha ha.
'Twould be a funny April Fool's had you remembered to include the vital Paxson SpC (junction of Richardson & Denali Hwys).

That said, your list is effectively identical to the map I long ago shared with Tesla; differences that I see right away are the very trivial Destruction Bay vs Burwash Landing (Yukon Elec has a power plant and transformer there; I think the lines then go to Burwash; also, it has the errr.....amenity....of the cafe at the Talbot Arms), and - sorry, nomenclature folks - there really isn't any "Tesla Jct"...or even Tetlin Jct. So in my map I plopped it at the Northway spur from the AK Hwy (you really, really don't want to go off the AKHwy and down into the village of Northway itself).

Also, my map has SpCs on the shorter, better-surfaced Cassiar Hwy as well as along just the AK Hwy. BCHydro put in a massive high voltage line along the southern 2/3s or so of the Cassiar 3 years back - a few gazillion kW - so tapping into electrons there is easier than on almost any stretch of the AKHwy. It also, of course, has the appropriate sites throughout Alaska. You don't want to be able to drive only to Fairbanks and then have to turn around.

In theory.

Good job, Plus EV!

Reactions: MarcoRP
I'll post the precise locations as soon as I get them. Looking forward to your mileage numbers for each of the new superchargers!

Well, given the rumored deal they'll obviously put them at the Tim Horton's where possible. The other locations are a guess.

I agree with Audie that Destruction Bay, YT is a better location than Burwash Landing, YT so I think that Tesla is just going to call it Burwash Landing, YT because they want to avoid joke about Autopilot crashes.
Also, despite Tesla Junction, AK agreeing to change their name, nearby Teslak, AK is a better location and will get the Supercharger.
Also, you missed Cache Creek, BC.

Cache Creek, BC
63.7 mi. About 1 hour 9 mins
100 Mile House, BC
127 mi. About 2 hours 17 mins
Quesnel, BC
74.9 mi. About 1 hour 25 mins
Prince George, BC
86.9 mi. About 1 hour 36 mins
McLeod Lake, BC
104 mi. About 2 hours 4 mins
Chetwynd, BC
62.2 mi. About 1 hour 12 mins
Dawson Creek, BC
44.9 mi. About 56 mins
Fort St John, BC
127 mi. About 2 hours 20 mins
Buckinghorse River, BC
109 mi. About 1 hour 51 mins
Fort Nelson, BC
118 mi. About 2 hours 28 mins
Toad River, BC
72.7 mi. About 1 hour 39 mins
Liard River, BC
129 mi. About 2 hours 49 mins
Watson Lake, YT
162 mi. About 3 hours 25 mins
Tesla, YT
111 mi. About 1 hour 59 mins
Whitehorse, YT
95.8 mi. About 1 hour 41 mins
Haines Junction, YT
65.6 mi. About 1 hour 16 mins
"Burwash Landing ;)", YT
115 mi. About 2 hours 23 mins
Beaver Creek, YT
109 mi. About 2 hours 8 mins
Teslak, AK
108 mi. About 1 hour 50 mins
Delta Junction, AK
95.5 mi. About 1 hour 46 mins
Fairbanks, AK

10% of profits from Supercharger fees on this route will be donated to conversation efforts related to the endangered black spruce.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
Just received some GREAT news from my source with Tesla Alaska. As Elon promised, the AlCan is going to be joining the supercharger highway! My source couldn't guarantee any specific dates, but he did say that there would be a big effort to complete the project during the spring/summer construction season so hopefully it will be completed in September or October.

-100 Mile House (8)
-Quesnel (8)
-McLeod Lake (8)
-Chetwynd (8)
-Dawson Creek (20)
-Fort St. John (8)
-Buckinghorse River (8)
-Fort Nelson (8)
-Toad River (4)
-Liard River (4)
-Watson Lake (8)
-Tesla (8)
-Whitehorse (20, urban)
-Haines Junction (8)
-Burwash Landing (8)
-Beaver Creek (8)
-Tesla Junction (40)
-Delta Junction (8)
-Fairbanks (18, urban)

Clearly they have really put some thought into this rollout and have appropriately provided urban superchargers for the throngs of current and future Tesla owners in the larger cities along this route. My main concerns are the likely chokepoints of both Toad River and Liard River (only 4 stalls each!) as well as the 160+ mile gap between Watson Lake and Teslin. That could be a really tough leg in the winter in a 60.

And did I mention that the towns of Teslin and Tetlin Junction both agreed to alter their names in an effort to attract a supercharger? How cool is that? At the now-named, Tesla Junction, they are in the process of re-purposing an old gas station, building out a 40-stall mega supercharger along with a fast food barbecue restaurant complete with carhops who, in addition to taking your food order, will also plug in your car for you. This is a wonderful location for a 40-stall mega charger as it will also serve the crossroads, enabling electric travel to popular destinations such as Gakona and Chicken.

Lastly, the source says that the Parks Highway should not be far behind so Anchorage will eventually get some supercharger love as well. No word yet on when the Dalton, Dempster and Cassiar highways will be lit up, but we sure can dream!

Is there any word on the status of this work? Nothing shows up on the Tesla map on the Alcan after Prince George, and it is Sept 7... Have someone on Model 3 Owner's Club FB group that can only get delivery (a few weeks from now) in Seattle and lives in Anchorage. Any recommendations on how to drive it in his new Model 3, or if it is even possible (on any public charging - Chargepoint, etc.)?

Is there any word on the status of this work? Nothing shows up on the Tesla map on the Alcan after Prince George, and it is Sept 7... Have someone on Model 3 Owner's Club FB group that can only get delivery (a few weeks from now) in Seattle and lives in Anchorage. Any recommendations on how to drive it in his new Model 3, or if it is even possible (on any public charging - Chargepoint, etc.)?

Note the date of original post ;)

• Funny
Reactions: gglockner
It seems that people have done it, since there are a handful of chargers along the way. Just don’t forget your 14-50 adapter. PlugShare has the info you need. Note that most of these are at campgrounds

Attachments

• E1B1CBE1-A7D2-4AEC-8900-F09B0296A468.jpeg
    E1B1CBE1-A7D2-4AEC-8900-F09B0296A468.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 360
  • 5F39CADA-C95F-4F04-BB6A-2D46764EEE17.jpeg
    5F39CADA-C95F-4F04-BB6A-2D46764EEE17.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 176
  • Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
I'll post the precise locations as soon as I get them. Looking forward to your mileage numbers for each of the new superchargers!
I doubt this will come either this year or the next, because seriously, I don’t think there’s that many Teslas that even use that highway stretch in an entire year... yet. Still, Tesla still hasn’t completed the Trans-Can in the Prairies. It won’t happen this year that’s for sure.

-100 Mile House (8)
-Quesnel (8)
-McLeod Lake (8)
-Chetwynd (8)
-Dawson Creek (20)
-Fort St. John (8)
-Buckinghorse River (8)
-Fort Nelson (8)
-Toad River (4)
-Liard River (4)
-Watson Lake (8)
-Tesla (8)
-Whitehorse (20, urban)
-Haines Junction (8)
-Burwash Landing (8)
-Beaver Creek (8)
-Tesla Junction (40)
-Delta Junction (8)
-Fairbanks (18, urban)

I didn't see the original post date and was just reading along, moderately dubious. Until I got to "Whitehorse (20, urban)" and cracked up laughing. Thanks.