Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alaska Tesla Adventure!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's too bad the ferries have gotten so expensive. In 2005, two of us and my car traveled from Skagway to Bellingham for under $1k. And we had a modest interior cabin too (very small room with a bunk bed and tiny bathroom but it was great to have our own shower and toilet).

I agree with Tacoma Dave that the ferry trip is pretty great. It's like a poor man's cruise. The scenery was spectacular and we saw an incredible amount of wildlife. There was also a park ranger of sorts on duty during the day to answer any questions about the terrain or wildlife.

I considered it, but the ferry is both much more expensive and much slower than us flying home (if you discount the time that the car spends making its own way back). According to the Alaska Ferries website, it would have taken 4.5 days and $7464 (!) to get from Whittier to Bellingham. Much more than the car transport ($1400) + $400*6 for the plane flights.
I can understand your thinking. For us, it's just two of us, so the cost isn't as much higher. I'm considering the ferry as part of the experience and the 4.5 days as a bonus rather than a negative.

Reactions: IdaX
Picked up the car at the Port of Tacoma on Thursday. Flew into SeaTac and took a Lyft down to the Port. The car transport office opens at 8am, and closes at 3pm. Once they opened they checked my drivers license after I gave them the transport number. The car was only under a large, roofed area next door but they sent a guy to pick it up and bring it by. East pickup there, and the car was in the same shape in which we left it.

Back now from the adventure — tell below if you try your own Alaska trip!

Nice job. Thanks for inviting others to share details of their Alaska trips. My wife and I did the trip in a new Model S refresh that we picked up at the Lynnwood, WA service center and drove back home on the 6-15th of October, 2021, following basically the same route, but with stopping at hardly any of the same stops. The road was snow-covered and temperatures generally around freezing from not far north of Boulder Creek Rest Area, BC, almost all the way to Palmer, Alaska. RV parks were generally closed at this time of year, and we rarely got any charge from the fewer DCFC stations that were online back then.
The trip was 2407 miles from Bellingham to Fritz Creek, AK (outside of Homer), and used about 635 kWh (263 Wh/mile). We drove conservatively mostly at or even below the posted speed limit, and with the seat heaters on 2, the yoke heater, and climate set to 64 degrees and defog. Tires were the stock Continental all-season radials at 40-41 psi cold pressure. At home over the past year-and-a-half we have averaged 289 Wh/mile mostly because we are more generous with the heat in winter!

Anywhere to Prince George is easy. Superchargers every few inches. However, on October 7th, 2021 there was no supercharger in Prince George, and that morning we discovered that the destination charger at the hotel had tripped the breaker an hour or so after we had plugged in the night before. So we searched around and got a few hours of Level 2 at the forestry ministry, and limped 305 miles to Boulder Creek Rest Area using level 2 chargers in rest areas along route 16 (mainly at Savoy West). We had a chademo adapter but it would not work, or barely work at the DCFC stations. After the trip we learned that it needed a software update that could not be done over-the-air...

Iskut, BC and Red Goat Lodge were off-limits due to COVID in October 2021. So after sleeping in the car on mostly level 2 charging to 100% overnight at Boulder Creek Rest Area, we drove 161 miles to Bell 2 Lodge and spent two nights in a cabin there gaining a total of only 30% more SoC on a wobbly generator at a maximum of 12 amps and 108v for a full 48 hours (from 51-81%). That works out to an average of only 625 watts/hour! Some of that loss was due to cold weather, but by far most of it was due to the non-load following generator and the variable load at the lodge, because the next night we got closer to the predicted maximum amount of energy overnight parked outside at a 112v receptacle (1.18 kW/hr vs 1.34 kW/hr). However, that was enough energy at Bell 2 to easily make it another 149 miles to Dease Lake, BC. Bell 2 Lodge has a NEMA 6-30 208v receptacle in their shop that they might allow you to use, especially if you make prior arrangements. We didn't have a 6-30 adapter.

We overnighted in Dease Lake on a 112v engine heater receptacle at Northway Motor Inn, which gave us enough juice (39%-56%) to make it another 159 miles to Watson Lake, YT, where there was no DCFC yet (arrived with 14%). We charged to 100% overnight on a NEMA 14-50 receptacle at the Downtown RV park (and a stay in a motel across the street). Having a TT-30 extension cord would have saved driving back east 14 miles to Watson Lake, and back west the next morning because Nugget City has 30 amp service and cabins to stay in, but none of the receptacles at Nugget City are close enough to each other for a TT-30 Y-splitter to work without an extension cord (see below). The extra 28 miles driving was worth saving a day charging!

From Watson Lake we made it 245 miles to the DCFC in Marsh Lake, where our Chademo adapter seemed to work fine, even though we had plenty of remaining energy (22%) to make it the additional 27 miles to Whitehorse. The road was very slushy climbing out of Watson Lake, and the navigation suggested that we might not make it to Whitehorse at times... In Whitehorse we could not get the chademo adapter to work for more than about 10 minutes at any of the DCFCs, so ended up staying in a BnB and charging to 100% overnight with an adapter on the J1772 level 2 EVSE at the Ford dealership.

From Whitehorse we drove 95 miles to Haines Junction, YT (arriving with 70%) where we tried DCFC using the chademo adapter again, with no luck. We gained a 3% SoC at a TT-30 outlet in a small RV park adjacent to the FasGas station in Haines Jct. before continuing another 183 miles to 1202 Motor Lodge in Beaver Creek, YT where we spent two nights (arrived with 15%).
If I had discovered on the first day in Beaver Creek that I could have used our TT-30 Y-splitter at RV sites 88 & 89, we would have only needed to spend one night there. The Y-splitter has two TT-30 plugs that combine the 110v and 30 amps of the separate legs of power serving two adjacent campsite receptacles into 220v at 30 amps at a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. (At 30 amps, the car needs to be set to draw 24 amps. By default it will draw 32 amps with the NEMA 14-50 adapter plugged in- which *should* trip a breaker, or if it does not, it will be unsafe). I used the splitter on the second night, set the charging amps on the screen to 24, and we were at 100% in the morning. An intrepid traveler might figure out a way to do this sort of thing safely at other types of receptacles, which would have been useful on this particular trip.

From 1202 Motor Lodge we drove 247 miles to the Caribou Hotel in Glennallen, AK (arriving with 24%), where we hiked around on their nearby community trails while the car spent a few hours charging at one of the hotel's 50 amp RV receptacles (to 54%). Those receptacles no longer work for EVs, but a DCFC station has since been installed in Glennallen. There is also now "restricted access" charging with a CCS adapter at 20-24 kW in a bus barn in Tok, AK, if you make prior arrangements (see PlugShare). The added charging at the hotel gave us enough energy to easily make it another 137 miles to Turkey Red in Palmer, AK (arrived with 19%), which has Tesla destination chargers and great food! We stayed at an inn down the street and charged to 100% overnight.

After a fine breakfast at Turkey Red, we drove 274 miles home to Fritz Creek, AK (arrived with 20%). The superchargers in Chugiak/Eagle River and in Soldotna were not yet online in October 2021.
Hopefully, posting about this trip will soon become a non-starter because the supercharging network will be built out. If the newer DCFC options now available are all working and you have a supported CCS adapter, it's almost already that way in the summer months.

Last edited:
While we were in Fairbanks, a group of intrepid EV explorers started a drive north from Fairbanks over the Brooks Range of mountains and up to Prudhoe Bay and the Arctic Ocean. They call their trip the Arctic Road Rally. They installed four temporary chargers on the way up for use this week only. 10 total drivers supposedly. We were too late to join at the last second, but the trip looks super exciting and there may be opportunities to join in for future years!
I was on that trip, which they also referred to as ELF- Electrifying the Last Frontier. My profile picture here was taken at Atigun Pass, the highest point of the trip, in the Brooks Range. That's right- low snow levels in August. It was snowing at the Arctic Ocean. See below for a recap of the trip we took from Seattle to Alaska in the same Model S in October 2021.

• Informative
I can understand your thinking. For us, it's just two of us, so the cost isn't as much higher. I'm considering the ferry as part of the experience and the 4.5 days as a bonus rather than a negative.
It is a great trip. Living in Alaska I have taken multi-day ferry trips many times aboard the Kennicott, the one that usually makes the Bellingham to Whittier run. Last summer we put my mom and her car on it back to Bellingham after she drove up. Unfortunately for this year, the schedules just came out and the cross-gulf sailings are not available- yet. The Marine Highway System is having trouble hiring experienced staff. The cross-gulf trips are the portions across the Gulf of Alaska- e.g. from Juneau to Whittier. They might become available later this season...The ferry to Haines will save you a lot of the charging hassle, but not all of it. Haines to Tok is 438 miles. There's DCFC in Haines Junction, but that's still 290 miles from Tok....

Reactions: Tinkerin and IdaX
My wife and I did the trip in a new Model S refresh that we picked up at the Lynnwood, WA service center and drove back home on the 6-15th of October, 2021, following basically the same route, but with stopping at hardly any of the same stops.
Wow no kidding! It's amazing how much more infrastructure there is now after just another year than you had back in 2021. And more still coming, as there are some new DCFCs from Recharge Alaska, like the ones in Delta Junction and Glenallen. With all of those 120V charges and in October you definitely did the trip in Hard Mode!!

Reactions: MikeGracz
Wow no kidding! It's amazing how much more infrastructure there is now after just another year than you had back in 2021. And more still coming, as there are some new DCFCs from Recharge Alaska, like the ones in Delta Junction and Glenallen. With all of those 120V charges and in October you definitely did the trip in Hard Mode!!
Thanks,
Not as Hard as Guy Hall in 2014, the real EV pioneer of this trip, but probably later in the season than anyone to date?

It is a great trip. Living in Alaska I have taken multi-day ferry trips many times aboard the Kennicott, the one that usually makes the Bellingham to Whittier run. Last summer we put my mom and her car on it back to Bellingham after she drove up. Unfortunately for this year, the schedules just came out and the cross-gulf sailings are not available- yet. The Marine Highway System is having trouble hiring experienced staff. The cross-gulf trips are the portions across the Gulf of Alaska- e.g. from Juneau to Whittier. They might become available later this season...The ferry to Haines will save you a lot of the charging hassle, but not all of it. Haines to Tok is 438 miles. There's DCFC in Haines Junction, but that's still 290 miles from Tok....
I am making the final plans for my trip this summer. The Kennicott is still showing as not running. Any idea if this is going to change? If not, I am planning to do Haines instead. Also, any idea if the DC charger at Tok Transportation is available? The last check in I see from there is on 3/19. I sent them an e-maill on Wednesday but have not heard back.

I replied via email, but others may be interested.
As far as we know the ferry Kennicott will not be running this season (summer 2023).
As far as I know "Stretch", the Tok Transportation electric school bus owner is still in operation.
However, things got a little easier: Two new chargers ("DCFC" at 25 kW) have been added April 24th 2023, at key locations along the Alcan in the Yukon: Burwash Landing and Beaver Creek.
Now, the widest public DCFC gap between Anchorage, AK and Watson Lake, YT is "only" 247 miles between Glennallen and Beaver Creek (excluding the privately owned Tok Transportation Services site).
There are two route choices to AK in northern BC, the Cassiar Hwy (Route 37) and the Alcan (Route 97). Both have wider DCFC gaps: 467 miles along the Cassiar between Boulder Creek Rest Area and Watson Lake, YT and 561 miles along the AlCan between Fort St John, BC and Watson Lake (there are a few level 2 options along these routes, and you've gotta spend the night somewhere!).
The PlugShare map, below, shows only CCS plugs.

Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 9.13.23 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: GleanerC and IdaX
I replied via email, but others may be interested.
As far as we know the ferry Kennicott will not be running this season (summer 2023).
As far as I know "Stretch", the Tok Transportation electric school bus owner is still in operation.
However, things got a little easier: Two new chargers ("DCFC" at 25 kW) have been added April 24th 2023, at key locations along the Alcan in the Yukon: Burwash Landing and Beaver Creek.
Now, the widest public DCFC gap between Anchorage, AK and Watson Lake, YT is "only" 247 miles between Glennallen and Beaver Creek (excluding the privately owned Tok Transportation Services site).
There are two route choices to AK in northern BC, the Cassiar Hwy (Route 37) and the Alcan (Route 97). Both have wider DCFC gaps: 467 miles along the Cassiar between Boulder Creek Rest Area and Watson Lake, YT and 561 miles along the AlCan between Fort St John, BC and Watson Lake (there are a few level 2 options along these routes, and you've gotta spend the night somewhere!).
The PlugShare map, below, shows only CCS plugs.

View attachment 935203
That's great news. Thanks for the information.

I've got my trip all planned. My daughter (17) and I will be heading up to Alaska in mid-June, following much the same route as @IdaX . We are leaving from Tacoma on 6/17. Our overnight stays will be 1. Quesnel, BC, 2. New Hazelton, BC, 3. Dease Lake, BC, 4. Whitehorse, YT, 5. Delta Junction, AK, 6. Denali, AK, 7. Anchorage, AK (2 nights- will take a trip down to the Kenai peninsula), 8. Tok, AK. Our last day, we will drive to Haines, AK and take the ferry back to Bellingham.
The new fast chargers allowed us to go the more direct route rather than to Dawson City. I was still tempted to go to Dawson, but chose the more direct route. Unfortunately, the ferry from Whittier is not running this year, so we have to backtrack to Haines for the trip home.
We will be doing the trip in my 2022 Model 3 LRD.
I will try to post some updates/pictures during the trip.

Last edited:
I've got my trip all planned. …… Our overnight stays will be 1. Quesnel
FYI, if you overnight in Williams Lake, the Super 8 has a free J1772, on the way into town. Nice breakfast too, though not luxurious by any means. The night clerks often park in the spot to keep it available for EVs, so just ask them to move. This allows you to skip a side trip to the SC. SC in Quesnel is near Starbucks for better coffee. There was a free DCQC in 100 Mile that helped out when the navigation energy estimate wasn’t making sense to me.

• Informative
Reactions: GleanerC and IdaX
I've got my trip all planned. My daughter (17) and I will be heading up to Alaska in mid-June, following much the same route as @IdaX . We are leaving from Tacoma on 6/17. Our overnight stays will be 1. Quesnel, BC, 2. New Hazelton, BC, 3. Dease Lake, BC, 4. Whitehorse, YT, 5. Delta Junction, AK, 6. Denali, AK, 7. Anchorage, AK (2 nights- will take a trip down to the Kenai peninsula), 8. Tok, AK. Our last day, we will drive to Haines, AK and take the ferry back to Bellingham.
The new fast chargers allowed us to go the more direct route rather than to Dawson City. I was still tempted to go to Dawson, but chose the more direct route. Unfortunately, the ferry from Whittier is not running this year, so we have to backtrack to Haines for the trip home.
We will be doing the trip in my 2022 Model 3 LRD.
I will try to post some updates/pictures during the trip.

Sounds great! Would strongly recommend picking up a spare tire, if you don't have one already.

Looking forward to hearing the trip report!