TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Alaskan Airlines article

Discussion in 'News' started by Orthonos, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Orthonos

Orthonos Member

In case anyone wanted to read, Alaskan Airlines' Feb 2013 magazine had an article on the Model S. It was reasonable length and didn't seem overly biased although I did want to add a couple more facts here and there.

ParadigmAlaskaAirFebruary2013

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Thanks for sharing this, Orthonos.

I found Download link at the bottom (PDF form) easier to load.
    http://www.journalgraphicsdigitalpublications.com/epubs/PARADIGM%20COMMUNICATIONS%20GROUP/ParadigmAlaskaAirFebruary2013/9DE88C268C39007EC0DE8260D3F6D15A/Paradigm_Alaska%20Air_February.pdf

In the PDF, it's page 145 / 172.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently they're making the same "California mistake" as Tesla regarding weather effects.

3. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Hmm, a bit of infrastructure work to be done in Alaska -- Stanley Nissan in Fairbanks appears to be the only public EV plug in the state! Two points, though:
    1. Alaskans generally don't drive long distances in cars, but instead rely heavily on small aircraft. As an around-town car, range isn't a big issue for the Model S.
    2. Alaska Airlines serves the entire west coast, not just Alaska. So a lot of its customers are indeed in the prime Model S market.

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

In a lot of cities they don't even worry about cars getting stolen as you can only drive a few miles in any direction then the road just ends.

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Alaska Air flys all over.

Not sure it's worth all the hoopla. It's a subset of a subset in the big picture of car sales.

Drivers that want to drive long distance.
    Drivers that want to drive long distance when/where it's cold.
    Add in:
    Drivers who want to drive long distance when/where it's cold and don't have a clue on how to do it properly.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

@vfx - I guess my point is: if you offer a statistic, especially empathically, it should be backed by supporting evidence and be a reasonable approximation of correct. If range driving isn't a real concern, then don't mention a number. But if you do mention a number and say "regardless of conditions" then it should be one you're willing to stand by.

7. PV-EV

PV-EV Member

Wow. Have you ever been to Alaska? The distance between the two major cities (Anchorage and Fairbanks) is 365 miles by road. Anchorage to Haines is about 750. The roads are there for the cars, not the planes. Saying Alaskans don't drive long distances in cars is like saying it never snows in Boston:wink:. While small aircraft are indeed popular, they are generally used for getting to places that have no road access. My wife routinely drives 110 miles one way to Anchorage to go to work. In our Roadster. Year round, unless its a blizzard and then she takes the dog team and overnights in an igloo:biggrin:

As far as infrastructure, sure it needs work. However there are now two 48 amp J1772 free public charging stations in Anchorage courtesy of Alaska Urological Institute. One for each of the two Roadsters now in the state! Maybe we'll get some more when the Model S start showing up. Until then, I'll keep topping off with PV electrons every chance I get.

8. Herbys

Herbys Member

Add to that:
    Drivers that don't have an indoor place to park their car overnight (the road temperature doesn't really matter, what matters is the temperature of the battery pack when you start your trip).