Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Albany, NY to Boston, MA - How much battery usage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Contemplating purchase of Model S 75D. Twice a week we drive from Schodack, NY (10 miles east of Albany) to Wakefield, MA(north of Boston). Driving distance is 170 miles, BUT we are going over the Berkshires. Also doing this year round, so cold weather is a factor. All but three miles are on I-90 and I-95, at 70mph. I've used the estimators Green Race and EVtripplanner, which give wildly different results, from barely making it in good weather to no problem any time. I realize that there are three supercharger locations along the Mass pike, but am hoping to avoid making a stop. Will be able to level 2 charge overnight at both ends.

My fiddling around with the two estimators gives me the impression that I can make it in good weather (50F or higher) but not below 40F.

But I'd really like to know if anyone has done this route and how was the KWH consumption? Specifically, Miles driven, KWH used, ambient temperature, MPH.
Also I would be interested in comments from users of these two estimators about their accuracy on trips in the mountains and in the cold.

I don't know anything about that particular route but I can say that I my experience EVtripplanner has been very accurate IF I set the speed multiplier to 1.15 or 1.2. i find the estimates with the speed multiplier set to 1.0 to be a little optimistic.

Also, is a 10 minute charging stop on a 2.5 hour drive really a deal breaker? If you are close without charging then 10 minutes of supercharging would probably be plenty.

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and Rocky_H
It looks to be a 165 mile trip. A good rule of thumb I read in this forum is add 20% and 20 miles. In this case it would be 165 + 33 + 20 = 218 miles of rated range consumption... if that is such a thing. This is a simple rule of thumb...to cover things like rain, head winds, & speeding. Now if you start off in on a cold winter day with an equally cold battery pack then you would need to pull in for superchargering or drive real slow.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I've found the results of EVTripplanner to be very reliable. It says that if you're driving 81mph on the highway, and its 10 degrees out you'll use 228 rated miles of charge. Which would leave you a buffer of about 30 miles. Even with a headwind or inclement weather that should still be plenty. Particularly since there are superchargers you could stop at if you really needed to.

• Informative
Did that a few times in S 85. In August, 24C, 5 people in the car, Boston to Albany was 210Wh/km (105km/h average.) In October, 10C, 2 people, Albany to Boston was 199Wh/km, also 105km/h average; same time, Boston to Albany was 220Wh/km. You should probably get better rating with the 75D.

• Informative
I realize that there are three supercharger locations along the Mass pike, but am hoping to avoid making a stop.
When I still see these kinds of questions come up it just blows my mind. Sure, three years ago there were a lot of routes that didn't have Superchargers, and people needed to ask for advice and expertise to see if they could make some difficult stretch, but this? You have access to the fastest method of charging that exists in the world, and you refuse to use it because you want to "avoid making a stop" ! You want to turn this into a risky, nail-biting, stressful, close call on a two and a half hour drive just to avoid taking a short break in the middle? Why?

We've done that in the winter and it works fine, but be sure your fully charged and the battery is warm. It is frightening how fast a cold battery uses energy particularly when it's hilly!

There are plenty of Superchargers so it's easily done, but keep your wits about you.

Going back is actually harder because you're gaining altitude going East to West.

... You have access to the fastest method of charging that exists in the world, and you refuse to use it because you want to "avoid making a stop" ! You want to turn this into a risky, nail-biting, stressful, close call on a two and a half hour drive just to avoid taking a short break in the middle? Why?

Twice a week, two and a half hour drive turns into three hours, it would get tiring. I'd be asking the same question with $30k on the line between 75D and 100D...

Twice a week, two and a half hour drive turns into three hours, it would get tiring. I'd be asking the same question with $30k on the line between 75D and 100D...

That was my point behind my question, maybe I didn't express it as well. Also, I've just noted a thread here that indicates a slowdown in the supercharging is programmed into the Model S after a certain number (300?) of DC charging events. Didn't read the entire thing yet, (got to page 28 of 74 - Yikes!) but that would put me in the supercharging penalty box after just three years, if I had to SC on every trip.

So thanks to Cede for the real world experience numbers and DRasheed for the tip on the Evptripplanner parameter. I've put them together, and feel comfortable that I can make it without a stop in the 75D at a minimum 75% of the time. That should keep me out of the Supercharger penalty box for the life of the car, plus extend the battery life.

• Informative
That was my point behind my question, maybe I didn't express it as well. Also, I've just noted a thread here that indicates a slowdown in the supercharging is programmed into the Model S after a certain number (300?) of DC charging events. Didn't read the entire thing yet, (got to page 28 of 74 - Yikes!) but that would put me in the supercharging penalty box after just three years, if I had to SC on every trip.

So thanks to Cede for the real world experience numbers and DRasheed for the tip on the Evptripplanner parameter. I've put them together, and feel comfortable that I can make it without a stop in the 75D at a minimum 75% of the time. That should keep me out of the Supercharger penalty box for the life of the car, plus extend the battery life.
I had read a lot of the first dozen or so pages of that thread, and the so-called "penalty" isn't much. It's limiting to 90kW maximum speed. When you're Supercharging without that artificial cap, it slows down to that 90kW level anyway because of tapering by about 30-40%, which you get to within about the first 7-8ish minutes or so anyway. So yes, the "penalty box" exists apparently, but it really is like a 2 minute hockey penalty, as far as the difference in the charging time for that session. And if you're already above 40% state of charge when you arrive, you won't even see any difference.

• Informative
I drive between Boston and Hanover, NH frequently. A bit shorter time and distance, with less elevation change (peak on my route is around 1200' vs 1700' on the Pike). I stop at Hooksett (about midway) both ways for a bathroom/coffee break, and almost always plug in.

In the 10 min I'm there, I can add around 10%, even if I left with a near full battery and arrive around 60-70%.

Do you really plan to drive straight through (2.5-3 hours) without a bathroom break? Auburn and Lee aren't that far off the Pike. West Springfield is a bit out of your way, however.

With the MA DOT adding Chademo to the rest areas, you could also get a Chademo adapter and charge without exiting the Pike (pay for it with your savings vs buying a 100D)

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H

Two or three other things you might want to consider.

First, everything I have read indicates that charging to 100% is stressful for the battery and should only be done when needed. Tesla says you can do it, but maxing out the battery charge 4 times per week could degrade the battery. So while you are trying to stay out of what you call the "Supercharging penalty box," you may be putting yourself into another box, of faster battery degradation.

Second, snow and rain increase energy consumption, sometimes by a large amount. Your approach could put you into a dangerous situation if you find yourself running out of energy prematurely on a cold, snowy day in the Berkshires. So please bear that in mind.

And third, regardless of what overall energy consumption might prove to be when crossing a mountain, you need extra to get to the peak. You can recover a good deal on the way down, but you need to get to the top first.

And as a 70D owner, I'd offer that we have made several long trips, mostly in moderate weather, and I do not think I have ever achieved the low energy consumption quoted by Cebe. Those are incredibly low numbers! i do not think of myself as having a heavy foot but it is a rare trip for me that uses less than the EPA average of 292 wh/mi for my 70D.

Otherwise, good luck with your car and I hope you enjoy those trips!

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
And as a 70D owner, I'd offer that we have made several long trips, mostly in moderate weather, and I do not think I have ever achieved the low energy consumption quoted by Cebe. Those are incredibly low numbers! i do not think of myself as having a heavy foot but it is a rare trip for me that uses less than the EPA average of 292 wh/mi for my 70D.
I'm seeing around 370-ish highway (P85+, 21" Pilot Sports, RWD, 72-75mph)