Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Album art is back!!!!!?!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes.... though mine still often 'forgets' where it was before. I think it has to do with how much the car "shuts down". A quick trip into a store it does fine remembering. Overnight, with charging, not so much. Also...it still pausesbetween every song, even when there's no pause in the original recording. Still a pretty antiquated USB player... but I'm ecstatic about having art again

Last edited:
I'm not seeing either of those issues the forgetting I used to have but have never had long pauses between songs. Maybe something with your music formatting?
Not "long" pauses. It's a very small pause, but it's between EVERY track, even on albums that have NO pause at all in the original recording. So, an album like Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon , where each song flows into the next, with no pause, has an artificial pause between every track. It's not the formatting. If I playback on my home computer, or in any other vehicle, it doesn't do that. Only in the Tesla.

Not "long" pauses. It's a very small pause, but it's between EVERY track, even on albums that have NO pause at all in the original recording. So, an album like Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon , where each song flows into the next, with no pause, has an artificial pause between every track. It's not the formatting. If I playback on my home computer, or in any other vehicle, it doesn't do that. Only in the Tesla.
The term you are looking for is "gapless playback" and I don't think Tesla supports that.

Correct. I know what it is...I was trying to explain it to him. Like USB players from the early 2000's, ours does not support it. My $39 Kraco head unit from 2006 in my boat does, however. I guess I was simply assuming my $70,000 Tesla would too.

Correct. I know what it is...I was trying to explain it to him. Like USB players from the early 2000's, ours does not support it. My $39 Kraco head unit from 2006 in my boat does, however. I guess I was simply assuming my $70,000 Tesla would too.
Understand...I feel the same way about the very minimal support for HDRadio in Tesla. My 10 year old VW's standard radio has album artwork, station logos and more all from an FM signal. No internet.

Reactions: vdiv and brad787
It took me awhile to "catch up" to the same 2021.44.25 software as everyone else since I'm running the FSD Beta in my 2020 Model X Performance: 2021.44.25.6. (Tesla has been applying FSD updates to older base software.)

The good news is that the album art on my USB drive (w/3000 songs) now shows up again! But it only shows up correctly on the MCU (center screen).

On the smaller screen in front of the driver -- where I've elected to show the song playing on the left side -- when the song title changes, the album art image remains stuck on the first song's image. Album art on the driver's screen shows up OK when streaming from Slacker -- it's only songs from the USB drive that don't properly update after the first song.

Has anyone else experienced this?

(Separately, USB album art still doesn't work at all on my 2015 Model S with an upgraded MCU running 2021.44.25.2 :()

It took me awhile to "catch up" to the same 2021.44.25 software as everyone else since I'm running the FSD Beta in my 2020 Model X Performance: 2021.44.25.6. (Tesla has been applying FSD updates to older base software.)

The good news is that the album art on my USB drive (w/3000 songs) now shows up again! But it only shows up correctly on the MCU (center screen).

On the smaller screen in front of the driver -- where I've elected to show the song playing on the left side -- when the song title changes, the album art image remains stuck on the first song's image. Album art on the driver's screen shows up OK when streaming from Slacker -- it's only songs from the USB drive that don't properly update after the first song.

Has anyone else experienced this?

(Separately, USB album art still doesn't work at all on my 2015 Model S with an upgraded MCU running 2021.44.25.2 :()
And unfortunately I have to now also say that thanks to the holiday update, USB artwork is still there, but is so incredibly SMALL the joy of having it appear is greatly diminished!! :(

Can anyone explain why the boxes to select between Bluetooth phones or usb drives is 3x larger then. The cool album art above it??

Or why we have now lost the album title??

Aargh

Album art still doesn't show up at all on my Model S (with upgraded MCU2) running 2022.4.5.

And on my Model X running 2021.44.30.15 (part of the FSD Beta), artwork shows up correctly on the small screen in front of the driver -- but only for the first album you play -- then never changes for subsequent albums.

Tesla has had YEARS to fix this, and still seems to care only about streaming music artwork (which does display correctly on both cars).

There's a very simple reason for this. Money. Streaming (at least through the car) requires a connection. A connection requires a subscription. Simple as that.
As far as bringing back the artwork...yeah...but what's the point? It's so small you can't see it anyway. But 40% of my screen is still taken up by a graphic showing a car driving in it's lane. Sigh.

Reactions: DadRS99 and leaftoy
There's a very simple reason for this. Money. Streaming (at least through the car) requires a connection. A connection requires a subscription. Simple as that.
As far as bringing back the artwork...yeah...but what's the point? It's so small you can't see it anyway. But 40% of my screen is still taken up by a graphic showing a car driving in it's lane. Sigh.
This has been one of my pet peeves with the Tesla UI. Why not provide a way to display larger album art/song info when most of the screen is showing for the most part useless info?

Reactions: DadRS99