Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Album Art over bluetooth not displaying

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very minor problem.. but a bit frustrating as I am listening to music over Bluetooth 90 percent of the time I am driving...

I would say about 70% of the time, the album art doesn't load when playing music/podcasts over Bluetooth. Has anyone else experienced this and have any suggestions on how to improve?

I had a brief discussion over mail with the programmer of Overcast regarding, he is also a Tesla owner. He suggests this is a programming choice by Tesla, and has notified them of the issue.

My discussion with him about this was several months ago....I’d recommend that you “bug” it with Tesla as well.

Reactions: Joey_82
I've been running the beta ios13 for a month or so now... in my experience, this isn't happening - although I use it for listening to Sirius and Podcasts.

I think it requires the receiving device to support it as well. So Tesla would need to support it on their side as well for this new feature to work. Also requires support from the app, so Sirius, Spotify, etc... would need to support sending the album cover.

Reactions: focher
The issue isn’t from the device. both iOS and Android support artwork over Bluetooth. It’s Tesla’s software in the car. It doesn’t use the artwork from the phone. It looks up the track online to get the artwork. Sometimes it matches right, often times it matches wrong.

Reactions: Joey_82
The issue isn’t from the device. both iOS and Android support artwork over Bluetooth. It’s Tesla’s software in the car. It doesn’t use the artwork from the phone. It looks up the track online to get the artwork. Sometimes it matches right, often times it matches wrong.
Strange choice.. wonder why that is. oh well! I imagine this will be a quick fix one day.

I haven't used bluetooth audio for several months, as they've fixed the USB audio system, so I can't guarantee that my observation still stands. And I should reword what I wrote, so that it means what I actually meant - while your phone may be transmitting the AA, the car isn't using that, it's taking the artist and album title from the tag and then looking up the AA from an online database.

Not entirely convinced this is true, but I'll try and play songs over BT when I'm in a parking garage without signal, and see what happens next time.

FYI, I've had issues where BT music wouldn't display ANY cover art until I rebooted the car.
Yes, as is the case most of the time for me, it is just the standard grayed out music note. If it's true that they rely on an online database rather than pulling directly off the phone, seems a bit odd and nonsensical.

This has been my experience in every car I’ve ever had a Bluetooth connection and infotainment display so it makes me think it’s more of a tech limitation than a Tesla specific issue.

CarPlay in my old Mazda 3 was really the most consistent I’ve ever experienced with displaying correct album art.