Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Album artwork selection is still hilariously bad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla automatically picks album artwork for music/podcasts/audiobooks that are playing over bluetooth. Whatever algorithm they use to do this is completely nuts, even after the V9 update.

I'm listening to an audiobook about the fall of the Roman republic, and it displays the cover art from some obscure compilation of cheesy love songs. I guess one of the songs on that album has a title loosely matching the name of the audiobook.

Does anyone else have any examples of ridiculous album artwork showing up?
album artwork.png

Tesla automatically picks album artwork for music/podcasts/audiobooks that are playing over bluetooth. Whatever algorithm they use to do this is completely nuts, even after the V9 update.

I'm listening to an audiobook about the fall of the Roman republic, and it displays the cover art from some obscure compilation of cheesy love songs. I guess one of the songs on that album has a title loosely matching the name of the audiobook.

View attachment 343898

Minor as this is, it boggles my mind that they don’t have a line of code to check file artwork before going to “album art r us” to display the wrong artwork. It’s my number one non-safety/non-workflow desire that they fix this.

It’s particularly frustrating since I put significant effort into tagging my music (including but not limited to artwork). Sometimes the artwork even changes between songs on the same album. But, yes, podcasts are particularly bad — and funny in the process.

Aesthetics aside, it’s a shame since I believe that the “art” is actually a valuable visual cue that can help in peripheral view when driving a death chariot at high speeds or in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Reactions: renambot

View attachment 343898
not surprising but looks like no progress on this very old bug, some other examples in this thread started a few years ago
Humorous Album Art

I made an (involuntary) test this morning.
Yesterday night I was listening to one of my MP3s from the USB stick, the cover art displayed was NOT the one embedded in the file. I parked in an underground parking space 2 floors below street level where there is no cellular connection or wi-fi of any kind.
This morning I got to the car, my mobile phone was off, so the car was completely isolated from any connection. Started the car and BOOM the cover art embedded in the file was displayed!
Drove out of the parking lot, and a new song starts as I'm getting into the street, again embedded cover art is displayed! (cellular connection was not yet re-established)
After a few minutes of driving a third song starts playing and BOOOHO the cover art displayed is NOT the one embedded in the file.
So the car is clearly getting the cover arts from the internet whenever there is connection, and reading the embedded one only when connection is missing.

To add some more info to the previous post.
I made another experiment: removed the USB stick with the MP3s, and copied them with my home PC from the USB stick to my phone (android).
Went to the car, connect the phone to the car via bluetooth, NO USB stick, and start playing music from the phone.
First thing I notice is that, despite having on the phone the same exact collection of file as it was on the USB stick, the functions available are even less then before: i.e. no selection per album / folder / singer etc. and no possibility to play them sequentially/random/repeat. It plays random and that's it.
Second thing about the art covers: it clearly gets the covers from the web, because my phone was displaying the embedded cover, and at the same time Tesla screen was showing a different art cover (sometime a cover completely out of context, like it was playing "Kiss" by Price (*) and the car was showing a cover art from a '90s disco mix!!!)
Not only, but if for whatever reason it could not find a cover on the web (connection was good, it was really a problem of finding a match) it was displaying an empty rectangle, instead of the embedded cover.
This is a further confirmation that the embedded artworks ONLY gets displayed when connection is missing. If a connection is available it will always retrive from the web, and if it can not find a match it will display an empty space.

Sorry tesla, I love your cars, but in the media player you badly suck!

(*) comments on my music taste will be directed to dev/null. :)

I've previously asked for one simple thing here, to at least let us tap the image to turn it off, to at least temporarily switch that one (crazy) auto selection to a generic (safe) image. They're too busy working on the next set of icon designs lol

First thing I notice is that, despite having on the phone the same exact collection of file as it was on the USB stick, the functions available are even less then before: i.e. no selection per album / folder / singer etc. and no possibility to play them sequentially/random/repeat. It plays random and that's it.

I stand partially corrected.
After fiddling a little more with the media player, I found out that the above functions are still available, but they have to be controlled by the PHONE media player, not by car's one! Basically, when playing MP3s from the phone memory it is really the phone playing them, not the car.
The car is just a gigantic bluetooth external speaker with the bare minimum controls: back / forward / play pause
All the rest is done with the phone mediaplayer.

Well apparently this is not true...
strava | July 25, 2018
I did turn on the Max Audio Quality as described by @TeslaTap.com but didn't notice much difference. According to Slacker's reply, Tesla doesn't play higher bitrate audio no matter plus or premium membership.