Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

album shows up multiple times on USB music

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have compilations of songs from the 80's and 90's in separate directories on the USB stick. The ID tag has the artist name and title of song for each, but the album is listed as 80's or 90's. Each and every song is individually identified as 80's or 90's album. Is this a deficiency in the interface?
All my other albums are listed only once and clicking on them brings up all the songs on that album, but the 80's and 90's albums, among a few other compilations show up multiple times, one for each song.

Are you using Folder view? That should work correctly.
Yeah, that worked, but I tried some other things like making album artist "Various" among other things to see if any of those would allow the compilations to be grouped together. Oh well.
Also, it's weird, I had some old images in those files. I replaced them with new ones. iTunes shows the new ones. Tagscanner shows the new ones, but Tesla still shows the old ones. How is that possible?

The car uses embedded album art for usb. I don't know about itunes or tagscanner, but it's possible you didn't actually replace them, just added them, leaving the old art - most tag editing software is really bad at this stuff. Although tagscanner looks pretty nice on it's web page.

The car uses embedded album art for usb. I don't know about itunes or tagscanner, but it's possible you didn't actually replace them, just added them, leaving the old art - most tag editing software is really bad at this stuff. Although tagscanner looks pretty nice on it's web page.

I can't figure it out. I tried now 5 different mp3 tag editors and every single one of them show the same art as iTunes, yet my Tesla still shows the art that I used to have loooong ago, before I actually did remove it then replace with new art. I didn't just replace it, I first removed it then put in a new one. Tesla somehow still finds that old art.

I tried, but it will only allow images to be uploaded. I renamed it to a .jpg extension, but it is smart and determined that it was not an image. If you private message me, I can email it to you.

OK, I just tried again and renamed it to .txt. Just rename it to .jpg.

When you get it, all my programs show the art as "WLIR" radio station, but Tesla shows a stained glass looking piece of art.

Attachments

• 01 A New England.txt
    2.6 MB · Views: 50
Ah yes, WLIR! Used to listen to them a lot when I lived in NYC (a long time ago).

And when I put it in my car, it just displays the WLIR aa (album art). Two possible reasons for your situation come to mind: that one of the tracks in this folder, most likely the first one, that shares the same album title, which is 80's in this case, has that different aa that you're seeing - for some reason the tesla usb audio system gets stuck on the first aa for a group of files if the album tag doesn't change. The fix is to change the album tag for each track, and only use folder view (which is what I do). The other possibility is unlikely - that somehow you're actually playing the files through bluetooth, which would cause a similar problem, as aa isn't received via bluetooth (a tesla anomaly), and instead the car grabs the aa from an online database.

Of course there's a third possibility - that the USB audio system is rudimentary at best, and is an addon they threw in without actually putting any thought or effort into it, and it just plain doesn't work right, or in a logical fashion. However, it does sound great, and is the best option for playing hi end audio, but other than that, it's hard to love.

Ah yes, WLIR! Used to listen to them a lot when I lived in NYC (a long time ago).

And when I put it in my car, it just displays the WLIR aa (album art). Two possible reasons for your situation come to mind: that one of the tracks in this folder, most likely the first one, that shares the same album title, which is 80's in this case, has that different aa that you're seeing - for some reason the tesla usb audio system gets stuck on the first aa for a group of files if the album tag doesn't change. The fix is to change the album tag for each track, and only use folder view (which is what I do). The other possibility is unlikely - that somehow you're actually playing the files through bluetooth, which would cause a similar problem, as aa isn't received via bluetooth (a tesla anomaly), and instead the car grabs the aa from an online database.

Of course there's a third possibility - that the USB audio system is rudimentary at best, and is an addon they threw in without actually putting any thought or effort into it, and it just plain doesn't work right, or in a logical fashion. However, it does sound great, and is the best option for playing hi end audio, but other than that, it's hard to love.

ok, odd. I think I am going to try what I mentioned earlier. I am going to make a new directory, move all the files into that directory.
I have tried to use folder view instead of album view and it made no difference. Bluetooth is definitely not in play here because the screen shows that it is using USB device, but to be sure, I will remove that entire directory from my phone.
I'll let you know how things go.

I've found the repetitive album problem across many devices and I think it has more to do with how the files are encoded when initially ripped. This happens to me a lot when importing an album with various artists into iTunes. Every track will show in album view as a separate album. Seems to happen randomly regardless of whether I check that it is compilation or not. What seems to work best for fixing (but not always) is changing the "album artist" field to be consistent across the album.

Hi Guys...

WLIR....Long Island Progressive Rock Station in the 70's

I produced a live radio concert series for WLIR. We broadcast live on each Tuesday Night, from locations such as Ultra-Sonic Recording Studios (where I was an engineer), My Father's Place, Calderone Concert Hall, CW Post and Hofstra Universities, and others. Fond memories. Any of you guys listen to the concert series?

ok, odd. I think I am going to try what I mentioned earlier. I am going to make a new directory, move all the files into that directory.

So, my unconventional thinking worked. I removed the directory from my phone to see if it was a bluetooth transmission. No difference.
I made a new directory on the jump drive, moved all files to it and removed the old directory. It worked! Is it possible Tesla someone builds a database and keeps using it until a change from no art to art will update, but changing pictures has no effect?
Or it is more likely that there is art associated with a directory and it reads it from there?
I don't feel like doing any more tests, but I am wondering if that is only the case for compilations.
Live and learn. Maybe someone else will find this helpful.

Hi Guys...

WLIR....Long Island Progressive Rock Station in the 70's

I produced a live radio concert series for WLIR. We broadcast live on each Tuesday Night, from locations such as Ultra-Sonic Recording Studios (where I was an engineer), My Father's Place, Calderone Concert Hall, CW Post and Hofstra Universities, and others. Fond memories. Any of you guys listen to the concert series?

Prog rock in the 70's. but then they couldn't "out Styx" the other local stations, so they went alternative and new wave and made a new face for themselves in the 80's. Great choice. That's how I found out about all those great bands in the 80's. I spoke at length with Nancy, Larry and Ben about it.
I do remember those shows, probably being there myself.

I've found the repetitive album problem across many devices and I think it has more to do with how the files are encoded when initially ripped. This happens to me a lot when importing an album with various artists into iTunes. Every track will show in album view as a separate album. Seems to happen randomly regardless of whether I check that it is compilation or not. What seems to work best for fixing (but not always) is changing the "album artist" field to be consistent across the album.

Album artist is always set to Various for my compilations. Made no difference.
A trick I used was set the Genre to the album name and then just searched by Genre. QED.