Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Albuquerque

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First: Congratulations on your order.
Next: My sage advise, To ensure you have an appropriate welcoming home for your new car, Please be sure you have the NEMA 14-30 outlet, NEMA 14-50 outlet or HPWC installed.
Life is so much easier with a fully charged car each morning.
(Primary Charging at home with 110V is possible/doable, but not advised as your sole power source.)

purplewalt - Absolutely! Once I confirm the order and I get the HPWC I will get it installed before delivery. I will be getting bids before then to determine what it will take to add a 100 Amp breaker to the panel. The Dryer's breaker is unused since we use a gas dryer but it is unclear if there is enough capacity to support a 100 amp breaker.

I've waited 30 years for this car to become a reality, the next two months are going to take forever!

Config: S85, Blue/Black, 19" Std, Twin Chargers, Tech Package, Air Suspension, Sub Zero.

Service Center & Service Plans

I talked to a Tesla rep with regards to service centers and service plans.
They told me that we should be getting a service center in Albuquerque within the next two months and that service plans will be retroactively available once the paperwork goes through with the state. Apparently NM and Connecticut are the only two states that require the car manufacturer to have a service center in their state before they will allow service plans to be offered to their customers.

If true then we should have a service center about the time I get my car.
Sweet - Now all we need is a super charger station(s) to get us in/out of here and we'll be all set for touring.

S85 | Black | Black Roof | Std Interior | 19" | Dual Chargers + HPWC | Tech | Air | Sub Zero
Reserved: 9/15, Confirmed 9/24, Estimated Delivery: "November"

Thanks,

The plan is to wrap it in Xpel Ultimate and tint the windows once it arrives.

I'm envisioning many a road trips in my future.

Here is suggestion for an early road trip! Take a look at Incredible Pagosa. Its a little over 200 mi to Pagosa from Albuquerque, a perfect and beautiful max range trip! In a week or two, it should be peak fall color in Pagosa. Contact them and ask for the owner, Steve. I know that he is in the process of installing a 70A J1772 at his rental cabins in the center of town. The arrival of a customer with a Model S might up his priority to install the J1772!

Have fun!

Road Trips

Here is suggestion for an early road trip! Take a look at Incredible Pagosa. Its a little over 200 mi to Pagosa from Albuquerque, a perfect and beautiful max range trip! In a week or two, it should be peak fall color in Pagosa. Contact them and ask for the owner, Steve. I know that he is in the process of installing a 70A J1772 at his rental cabins in the center of town. The arrival of a customer with a Model S might up his priority to install the J1772!

Have fun!

That is an excellent idea for a road trip! - I love touring through the mountains.

S85 | Black | Black Roof | Std Interior | 19" | Dual Chargers + HPWC | Tech | Air | Sub Zero

I talked to a Tesla rep with regards to service centers and service plans.
They told me that we should be getting a service center in Albuquerque within the next two months and that service plans will be retroactively available once the paperwork goes through with the state. Apparently NM and Connecticut are the only two states that require the car manufacturer to have a service center in their state before they will allow service plans to be offered to their customers.

If true then we should have a service center about the time I get my car.
Sweet - Now all we need is a super charger station(s) to get us in/out of here and we'll be all set for touring.

And keep in mind that the first NM Supercharger is up in Farmington. Odd place for it to land first, but it probably has something to do with Elon's road trip according to other posters.

Your configuration is very close to my current thoughts. Please post how much you like it in our climate after you've had it for a while, please.

And keep in mind that the first NM Supercharger is up in Farmington. Odd place for it to land first, but it probably has something to do with Elon's road trip according to other posters.

Your configuration is very close to my current thoughts. Please post how much you like it in our climate after you've had it for a while, please.

Will do.

I like your footnote. I too could not wait for Gen III/Model E. So here I am ready to receive my Model S :)
S85 | Black | Dual Chargers + HPWC | Tech | Air | Sub Zero
Reserved: 9/15, Confirmed 9/24, Delivery: Scheduled for "11/29"

Add another Telsla to the ABQ club!

YES! - She's finally arrived in all her sleek black glory. She looks better in person than her photos on the web :)
Once again there is harmony in the universe (No more - Is it here yet? Is it here yet?..... -or- I could be regenerating right now if....).

It was good to see that the car was delivered in a covered car carrier from the Denver SC so she showed up with only a little dust and few water marks.

And talk about fresh out of the factory: 17mi on the odometer. Very nice.

I asked Denver rep how many Model S we have in the area now, his best guess is around 30. Perhaps this will motivate the deployment of of an ABQ Service Center within the first quarter of 2014.

Reserved: 9/15, Confirmed 9/24, Production 11/22, Delivered 11/29

Cold Weather Driving in NM

December Update:
Well it took until the 10th of Dec to get the HPWC + Power meter install, but boy has it been worth it. Being able to charge at ~1mi/min has made it easy to juice up in short order when needed. I've also been able to monitor the amount of power the car consumes both while charging and when it is being preheated or sleeping.

I've been doing a mixture of driving these past three weeks. Most of the runs were from 1 to 30 mi at temps as low as 22 deg F. And I've done three full charge road trips to Santa Fe and surrounding area at temps in the 37+ deg F. I've used both the seat heaters and HVAC. The seat heaters work really well. So well in fact, that I often didn't bother with the HVAC on the short trips when wearing gloves and a jacket. On my road trips up to Santa Fe with the Mrs, the HVAC was cranked up to 73 deg plus the seat heater. In all of these trips totaling ~1K miles, I've averaged 336 Wh/mi. Which is 12% above the rated range power level. Based on the forum's reports on winter driving this is normal. I've logged the trip statistics for all of my commute trips to work, shopping and trips to up to Santa Fe. When I drove normally (ie: When not doing 0-60 tests) the car consumed around 314 Wh/mi (~40 mph) for the city driving and 336 Wh/mi for the highway driving (75 mph). Using 33.7 KWh/gal conversion this equates out to 100 MPGe. Not to shabby. My estimated range on a full charge also tracks with these numbers. The round trip to Santa Fe is 134 miles. When I returned, the predicted remaining range was 100 miles, which tracks with 12% cold weather overhead and 2K altitude changes.

Driving behavior on N14 was excellent. Steering (set to sport) was firm and responsive. Passing was effortless and smooth. The acceleration is unreal even at highway speeds. There is no hesitation of any kind. Find yourself going too fast? No worries, let up on he pedal and you decelerate quickly to match the local traffic. I love the fact I can practically drive this car with just one pedal.

Once either Farmington or Gallup opens up, I will take it on an extended road trip to see how it handles longer trips and a supercharge.

Cheers

Reserved: 9/15, Confirmed 9/24, Production 11/22, Delivered 11/29

Any hotels in Albuquerque with charging capabilities?

My wife and I are traveling from AR to AZ via I-40 April 2 - April 4 and without superchargers this might lead to long days with slow charging. Hopefully we can find a Tesla owner around OK City with a HPWC but don't think we can find any in Texas off I-40. We did find some RV spots with the NEMA 14-50 (28 mph) through Texas and eastern NM. Our hope is to be in Albuquerque on Wednesday night, April 3rd and hope to find an overnight hotel with some charging capability.

Any help would be appreciated.

My wife and I are traveling from AR to AZ via I-40 April 2 - April 4 and without superchargers this might lead to long days with slow charging. Hopefully we can find a Tesla owner around OK City with a HPWC but don't think we can find any in Texas off I-40. We did find some RV spots with the NEMA 14-50 (28 mph) through Texas and eastern NM. Our hope is to be in Albuquerque on Wednesday night, April 3rd and hope to find an overnight hotel with some charging capability.

Last spring we charged at Sacred Power, a solar power company in Albuquerque. They were really nice to us but they close their gate in the evenings. Our motel was a ways away. Maybe if you contact them before hand they would have someone let you in.

I do not know of any hotels with EV support, but I would be happy to provide you access to my HPWC (80A) to help you on your way. I'm only a couple miles from I-40 on the eastside of Albuquerque. This would put you 154mi from Gallup SC. PM me if this would useful, and we will work out the details.

Happy travels.

A quick Google map check indicates about 763 miles distance, which you could cover in about 2 days to Albuquerque.
Without Superchargers, you will need at least one overnight.
You did not state, but I made calculations based on an 85 kWh battery pack.
If you have twin chargers and an 85 and you locate a willing owner with a HWPC in OKC, this is a much easier trip, at least on Day One.
Should you have a S 60, you will need to scrap the following and start all over.
Below is only one Option for your itinerary:

OKC is about 224 miles from Bella Vista, and you could make it with a full range charge, should you choose to drive effectively (read slowly ~61 mph to 58 mph).
There is a KOA just East of OKC, and maybe grab a signifiant day charge there (park fully re-opens Mar. 15, limited services Dec. 1- Mar. 15.)
(800) 562-5076, koa.com/camp/oklahoma-city
and continue on.
They should have a 14-50 outlet available for you to charge at.
If you are able to get a full charge rate @ 28 miles per hour, you need to have at least (my suggestion) 215 miles of range before you leave, so plan on a minimum 6 1/2 hours of charging, probably 7 hours.

A couple of quick tips:
The more range in your battery vs the amount of distance you need to cover, the faster you can drive.
The faster you drive, the quicker you use the range in your battery.
If you drive fast at the beginning of each leg, you may have anxious moments near the end.
Please take a couple of minutes (hours) to read others and their views on distance covered and range.
Keep in mind, most of them are traveling with the aid of Superchargers, so reality dictates you drive like you really need every kWh in your battery, because you do.
Once it is gone, it is only available at the next (slower-rate) charge station (14-50 outlet).
If you drive effectively at the beginning of a leg, and feel you have extra range toward the end of a leg, and traffic conditions, etc. permit, go for it.
Superchargers will spoil you from driving effectively.
Until SpC are ALWAYS at your next intermediate stop, probably better to just drive effectively.

If you become a member at KOA and Good Sam (there is a nominal fee), you will get a discount at all other same brand RV parks.
Might not make much difference if you only charge, but it certainly makes a difference if you spend the night in one of their Kabins.

Shamrock, TX is about 166 miles further.
There is a Good Sam's RV park there to charge your car overnight using a 14-50 outlet, and lots of Motels/hotels (I counted at least 10) to choose from for you to spend the night.
West 40 RV Park in Shamrock: (806) 256-3719
[email protected]

Day One total: 390 miles

Charge all night, awake to a full range charge ~ 265 miles of range.

Next morning, drive to Tucumcari, NM 206 miles away.
Surprise, there is both a KOA and a Good Sam RV Park there, so take your pick:
KOA: (800) 562-1871
Good Sam: (575) 461-9628
Again, you will need at least 7 hours charging, probably a bit more due to the mountains in New Mexico.
And mountains/terrain eat range.

Albuquerque is 173 miles further down the road.

Day Two total: 379 miles

Overnight in ABQ.
Once in Albuquerque you can probably start being within range of Superchargers (Gallup, NM is soon to be open) and make some serious miles happen as you travel on to AZ.

Hope (you have an 85 and) the above is helpful.
Good luck.

Since SE NM is going to be in a Supercharger desert for a few more years I'm looking into installing HPWCs or equivalent in Capitan and Carlsbad. Please PM me if you're interested in assisting. I have a HPWC in Eunice I'm more than happy to allow anyone to use so this would enable travel between ABQ and Midland/Odessa.

Remember with the 5.8.4 firmware update, you are NOT guaranteed that the 14-50 at any RV park will pull 40 amps. My most recent experience was that it was throttled back to 30 amps. Not a problem if time is not an issue.

Hi everyone,

I finalized an order for a black S85 for my wife on Jan 12 with an anticipated delivery of mid-March. I'm wondering if any of you have had a film protector (such as XPEL) or Opti Coat put on your car. I've never had either done and want to try to find someone with experience with a Model S.

Also, any idea on when the service center will be opening? It has been "opening soon" since July now.

Thanks for your help.
Jorge

Hi everyone,

I finalized an order for a black S85 for my wife on Jan 12 with an anticipated delivery of mid-March. I'm wondering if any of you have had a film protector (such as XPEL) or Opti Coat put on your car. I've never had either done and want to try to find someone with experience with a Model S.

Also, any idea on when the service center will be opening? It has been "opening soon" since July now.

Thanks for your help.
Jorge

Congrats and welcome to the family :).

I had XPEL Ultimate installed on it as soon as I received it in December.

Since I plan on many a road trips I wanted as much paint protection as I could get, so I had the following kits installed:
* Hood, Fender and Mirror Kit
* Bumper Kit
* Luggage Area Kit
* A-Pillar and Roof Kit
* Rocker Panel Kit

Kit Details

I wanted to get the full hood kit installed but the installer didn't have a plotter that could handle our hood size. The install went well. The only challenging area for them was the nose of the car.

As far as when the ABQ SC will open is still a mystery. When I asked ownership back in December, I was told we will get on this year. But I'm not holding my breath. For now all of our servicing is handled by the Denver SC. I've not needed any service yet, but the interactions with the staff in Denver has been satisfactory in answering my questions and helping with setup of Homelink, Wifi, and remote access.

S85 | Black | Dual Chargers & HPWC | Tech | Air | Sub Zero

I can vouch for the challenges of charging in Albuquerque so far. The Sacred Power gate was closed on the weekend when I got there and the other Chargepoint station in downtown shut off mysteriously shortly after it began charging. My attempts to restart it were unsuccessful on either plug. The local Nissan dealer refused my request to use their charger, so I ended up limping along with 120 volt charging at my hotel and the good graces of a Tesla owner in the northern part of town to help me charge up enough to get back to Durango. Plugshare does list a few other options north of I-40 that were promising if you're in that part of town. Here's hoping Tesla opens a service center there soon!

I can vouch for the challenges of charging in Albuquerque so far. The Sacred Power gate was closed on the weekend when I got there and the other Chargepoint station in downtown shut off mysteriously shortly after it began charging. My attempts to restart it were unsuccessful on either plug. The local Nissan dealer refused my request to use their charger, so I ended up limping along with 120 volt charging at my hotel and the good graces of a Tesla owner in the northern part of town to help me charge up enough to get back to Durango. Plugshare does list a few other options north of I-40 that were promising if you're in that part of town. Here's hoping Tesla opens a service center there soon!

When we stopped by Sacred Power last June, we couldn't get in at night and had to stop by the next morning. Frustrating, but walking around old town Albuquerque was pretty nice!

The folks at Sacred Power were very nice though. They gave us a tour of their plant!

There was someone in town listing a Roadster HPWC on Plug Share, but they were doing construction on their driveway so no luck either. Some businesses around town there should put in more L2 chargers! Maybe an S HPWC.

Congrats and welcome to the family :).

I had XPEL Ultimate installed on it as soon as I received it in December.

Since I plan on many a road trips I wanted as much paint protection as I could get, so I had the following kits installed:
* Hood, Fender and Mirror Kit
* Bumper Kit
* Luggage Area Kit
* A-Pillar and Roof Kit
* Rocker Panel Kit

Kit Details

I wanted to get the full hood kit installed but the installer didn't have a plotter that could handle our hood size. The install went well. The only challenging area for them was the nose of the car.

As far as when the ABQ SC will open is still a mystery. When I asked ownership back in December, I was told we will get on this year. But I'm not holding my breath. For now all of our servicing is handled by the Denver SC. I've not needed any service yet, but the interactions with the staff in Denver has been satisfactory in answering my questions and helping with setup of Homelink, Wifi, and remote access.

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize you could look up prices for the pre-cut kits. It's very helpful for planning purposes. Can you share who your installer was? I'd like to go with someone who has experience with Model S. Would you recommend them? Also, did you have Opti Coat done on the remainder of the car (or the entire thing)? I asked my DS about timing of the Service Center so I will post if I can get any info. Thanks again.

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize you could look up prices for the pre-cut kits. It's very helpful for planning purposes. Can you share who your installer was? I'd like to go with someone who has experience with Model S. Would you recommend them? Also, did you have Opti Coat done on the remainder of the car (or the entire thing)? I asked my DS about timing of the Service Center so I will post if I can get any info. Thanks again.

The company I used was Tint Masters and overall I'm pleased with the workmanship.
My car was their first Tesla so technically they now have experience!