Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

alcantara Headliner

ACDC ev

Jul 4, 2020
china
cost me about 1000usd back china ,we have to laser detail those buttons
ED02654F-9702-4DF8-9306-01DF14F9E3EC.jpeg
338AE1F4-D6AD-4B58-9FFD-8E6F52D49AA4.jpeg

andrew1039

Feb 2, 2020
Vancouver
If find this route, it's better to look for a wrecked 2017. They discontinued alcantara late in 2017 or in the 1st month of 2018 (can't remember exactly). So most 2018 will not have alcantara.

oh ok, prob won’t find any of those here in Canada.. I think the model 3 came out in the US a while before here

andrew1039

Feb 2, 2020
Vancouver
I've done a couple of large car headliners myself. It's a royal pain for a typical car to get the old headliner out, scrap off the old glue and foam, and get it back in without damaging it.

On the Model 3, it's a piece of cake. It's tiny considering the whole roof is glass, and it's divided in many sections. That makes it a super easy job to recover. It would be a simple DIY arts and crafts project to pull out the pieces, recover with the material of your choice that you buy in bulk, and reinstall. You'd have to be nuts to pay thousands for that job.

that’s what I was thinking..

James Cole

Apr 29, 2020
Texas
How do you make the plastic pieces hold up as they are now painted... for example the sun visor hook and the seatbelt height adjustment? They are bound to scratch...

teacupmiso

Jul 30, 2020
Irvine California
Hey guys was wondering if I can get some of your opinions on this matter
Was considering changing out the headliner out from the gray to a black alcantara
I was wondering if anyone knows if this is a hard/labour intensive process/ how hard is it to take out the headliner?
I want to get it done but I don’t want to spend thousands on it.
so I was curious if/ when I take it to a upholstery shop approx how much it might be and what I might be looking at in terms of labour.
It’s pretty expensive, don’t think it’s worth the cost imo

andrew1039

Feb 2, 2020
Vancouver
This is something I desperately want as well although I’ve unfortunately come to this same conclusion.

I personally don’t think it should cost that much, like someone else has posted here is more simple than other headliners because they come off in pieces and wrapping them is easier than most others...

andrew1039

Feb 2, 2020
Vancouver

I found a YouTube video of some of the process and how difficult it might be If anyone is interested
Doesn’t look all to crazy, I definitely wouldn’t**** pay 2k for it

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Fadiawesome

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC