TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Alcantara with Pano Roof - Why?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by KensingtonPark, Sep 30, 2013.

1. KensingtonPark

To those who have the Alcantara headliner, I am wondering how much of the roof is even there to be lined with so much glass. Since the price of the headliner doesn't go down if you order the pano, do you think that it's still worth it? I'm getting ready to finally place my order after having it on hold for over a year now.

2. ipryor

ipryor Member

I thought the same thing when I was ordering mine. I quickly decided that th alcantara wasn't worth it because I wanted the pano roof so bad. I think if you had no pano roof and really wanted to make the interior swanky! then add the alcantara and the interior lighting. Otherwise they are just additions based on your own preference.

get that order placed so you can start the best part - waiting! :smile::smile:

3. HHHH

HHHH Member

There is still the areas around the pano roof that I chose to have in alcantara. I think it's worth it, especially when you are spending as much as this on a car.

4. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

I love my alacantra and there's quite a bit of it even with the pano. That said, it was part of the Perf package at the time and isn't now so I don't know if I'd pay for it ala carte.

5. jacobp

jacobp Member

+1. The alcantara is much nicer, IMHO, to the regular material.

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

IMHO, I would have paid extra for the fabric over the alcantara. I think Tesla has chosen a very nice cloth headliner and it looks fantastic in my car (with pano roof). I guess that's why they have options...

7. KensingtonPark

Thanks, everyone. Very helpful.

8. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Count me in as another who got Alcantara as part of the old performance package but would have preferred to opt out and get cloth instead. I not a huge fan of the fuzzy fake suede look. It's a personal preference. I'd stick with the fabric liner and put the money into other options.

9. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

because it was free!! (sorry, now that's just bragging LOL)

10. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

I agree with EarlyAdopter on this one. I had a P85 loaner for a few days and I really didn't think it added anything plus I thought it looked kind of funny since it was fuzzy.

11. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I received Alcantara as part of the P85 package. I also have the pano roof. With the pano roof it is probably not worth it now that it costs an extra $1,000, and you also get this dark plastic bar that goes across your ceiling that divides the opening and non-opening portions of the pano roof. Believe it or not, this bar is not covered in Alcantara but is bare plastic. You'd think Tesla could have covered this piece, especially for $1,000 upgrade price.

With that said, I prefer the look of the Alcantara over the fabric. One of my loaners had fabric and it looked cheap. Also, the A and B pillar pieces didn't seem to fit together as well as the Alcantara trim pieces, but that could be my imagination. Maybe the fabric just made the joints more noticeable.

12. austinEV

austinEV Active Member

I got cloth (and pano) and I am in the camp that thinks the cloth looks cheap. I don't think the change is worth it, but if it had been cheaper I would have opted for it. Because I had placed a pre-price increase order, I basically had to choose between alcantara and parking sensors. I chose the sensors. I try not to let the cloth bother me but it is there in the back of my mind.