Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alcantara

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a bit surprised not to see any threads discussing the alcantara headliner/door accents. I absolutely cannot stand the two tones of colour that result from anyone touching suede-like materials, and after taking a few tesla taxis recently, I'm even more adamantly against this material. It makes the car look dirty/terrible in my eyes. The only way to avoid the alcantara is to not get the premium material seats (which I do want). I can't recall if you could select your headliner separate from your seat material in the S before options were packaged together. I've heard that you could still special request combinations of options for the S, any chance that will carry forward to the model 3 once they're out of "production hell"? (I'm Canadian, so late 2018 delivery is estimated).

I'm a bit surprised not to see any threads discussing the alcantara headliner/door accents. I absolutely cannot stand the two tones of colour that result from anyone touching suede-like materials, and after taking a few tesla taxis recently, I'm even more adamantly against this material. It makes the car look dirty/terrible in my eyes. The only way to avoid the alcantara is to not get the premium material seats (which I do want). I can't recall if you could select your headliner separate from your seat material in the S before options were packaged together. I've heard that you could still special request combinations of options for the S, any chance that will carry forward to the model 3 once they're out of "production hell"? (I'm Canadian, so late 2018 delivery is estimated).

Then don't touch the material, or take it to a shop and get the material replaced. Depends on how badly you want the car. Your call.

I've got about 50 forms of OCD, but this isn't one of them. I rarely notice the color differences when the alcantara in our X lays in multiple directions, but it doesn't bother me. And if it did, it would take 2 seconds of swiping my hand over it to correct it. In reality you don't touch the alcantara surfaces often, which is a good thing cause I'm more than a year in, and haven't yet figured out how to properly clean the stuff. And it hasn't been a problem - it doesn't really get dirty, cause it doesn't really get touched, even with 4 kids 8 and under (but oh boy do they kick and scuff and touch other parts. Quick shout out to the ultra white fake leather as the most amazing material to clean ever).

• Funny
Reactions: dss33
I've got about 50 forms of OCD, but this isn't one of them. I rarely notice the color differences when the alcantara in our X lays in multiple directions, but it doesn't bother me. And if it did, it would take 2 seconds of swiping my hand over it to correct it. In reality you don't touch the alcantara surfaces often, which is a good thing cause I'm more than a year in, and haven't yet figured out how to properly clean the stuff. And it hasn't been a problem - it doesn't really get dirty, cause it doesn't really get touched, even with 4 kids 8 and under (but oh boy do they kick and scuff and touch other parts. Quick shout out to the ultra white fake leather as the most amazing material to clean ever).
I like to write messages on the ceiling of my Model S....

Funny, I like the alantara because I find it less reflective than the leather dash, but I also find it interesting that many uber super luxe cars are putting alcantara everywhere and anywhere... it's like an alpaca scarf made a baby with a submarine gauge cluster.

• Funny
Reactions: ccutrer
I've had my S for a year and there is no sign of two tone "problem." I doubt Tesla taxis are representative of overall car use and abuse. Why would you be touching those area anyway? A drunk taxi customer is a different animal.

OP, I am with you in disliking the material. I took a ride in my friend's S and immediately noticed it. I find it to be a very, very strange choice.

That said, while I would choose something else if they offered it, I'll cope. It's definitely not a deal-breaker for me as far as getting PUP.

OP, I am with you in disliking the material. I took a ride in my friend's S and immediately noticed it. I find it to be a very, very strange choice.

That said, while I would choose something else if they offered it, I'll cope. It's definitely not a deal-breaker for me as far as getting PUP.
Most high end cars use Alcantara for the headliner and many other spots in the interior. It's a well wearing material and is generally accepted as a premium material (it retails for over $100 a yard).

Most high end cars use Alcantara for the headliner and many other spots in the interior. It's a well wearing material and is generally accepted as a premium material (it retails for over $100 a yard).

Premium material? Please, from a car company, think "cost reduction". With all due respect, it is thought of that way by those who don't know much about it. Read here:

http://jalopnik.com/what-the-hell-is-alacantara-anyway-1604799947

Also, it's a bit of a pain to maintain compared to "vegan leather" if it does come in repeated contact with human skin (oils) or is otherwise soiled:

Alcantara daily cleaning & maintenance | Alcantara

I'd happily do without it anywhere if possible...at least partially on the principle of the phoniness of the marketing to hype synthetic ultrasuede to some imaginary premium status. For some reason, these days, I'm becoming increasingly less tolerant of the phoniness of marketing elevating things to high levels where they don't belong. PT Barnum's words live on...

• Informative
Reactions: WhiskySTL
Yeah, but isn't it going into the headliner and some door trim? Stuff that should rarely be touched. And a lot of cars use REALLY cheap material for headliners such that alcantara is most definitely an upgrade. Especially in the price class that the M3 is in, you're NOT going to see a full leather headliner.