Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alcraft GT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JohnSnowNW

Feb 13, 2015
Minnesota
When I first saw the pictures of this concept (only exists as a 1/3rd scale model) I thought it was a Lucid product. Anyway, yet another start-up looking for investment. Though they do have some well known names, such as Charles Morgan.

Britain's made a 600bhp electric shooting brake

hero_front_3_4.jpg

So, it doesn't exist, and it's going to be more than a full second slower to 60 than a P100D Model S, and it's being promoted by a company dependent on crowdfunding. I think I'll stick with Tesla.

Probably will cost a lot less than $135k.

As with any new automaker, they will be asking people to take a large leap of faith buying a vehicle from a startup where there is a strong possibility of the car being orphaned.

I'd rather risk my car purchase money on Bollinger Motors B1.

Probably will cost a lot less than $135k.

Is there a basis for this? Unless we assume that Tesla is gouging buyers on the price of the Model S, I don't see how a start-up that will have to begin with low volume (as Tesla did with the Roadster) can produce a car with those specs cheaper than Tesla can do with a big modern factory.

I wish them luck because the more companies there are building electric cars, the better. But the linked articles speak of the car in the present tense, when at this stage it's just a concept and the specs are pure speculation on the part of the designers.

Is there a basis for this? Unless we assume that Tesla is gouging buyers on the price of the Model S, I don't see how a start-up that will have to begin with low volume (as Tesla did with the Roadster) can produce a car with those specs cheaper than Tesla can do with a big modern factory.

This isn't 2008. Suppliers for EV powertrains are much more extensive. Tesla originally contracted a Thai BBQ grill maker to manufacture the Roadster battery packs.

Tesla made a massive mistake in trying to convert an ICE roadster into a Tesla roadster. Elon has admitted this and said if he haid to do it all over again he would of started from scratch.

All new EV startups can learn from Tesla's successes and failures. Then again startup Tesla did not have to compete against current day Tesla. Smart to target niches Tesla has no interest in. Serious off road vehicles and shooting brakes are two such niches.

Tesla charges a $40k premium for P over standard 100D. Massive profits plus 8 year infinite mile warranty reserve. Compact 2dr vs Full size 4 dr etc.

Tesla made a massive mistake in trying to convert an ICE roadster into a Tesla roadster. Elon has admitted this and said if he haid to do it all over again he would of started from scratch.

Certainly, the Roadster Mk II will be all-Tesla. But when they built the original Roadster, it was much easier to buy the rolling chassis and just concentrate on the drivetrain.

And in my not-so-humble opinion, they did not make a mistake in choosing the Lotus Elise for the body of the Roadster. It's an absolutely gorgeous car, and my biggest complaint about mine is the aftermarket Alpine "infotainment" system, which was an option I ended up with because I bought an existing car from inventory, and it was the least-optioned one available. I honestly don't think that at the time, when they were just starting, they could have built a better rolling chassis. Note that they barely had enough capital to bring the Roadster to market. If they'd had to do the R&D on the rolling chassis as well as the drivetrain they might not have been able to pull it off.

The next Tesla Roadster will be a far better car. But I don't think they could have built a better car than the one they did at the time. I'll have to sell mine when I get my Model 3, because I don't have space for another car, and I want the safety features mine does not have. But I'm really going to miss it.

Reactions: gregd
Certainly, the Roadster Mk II will be all-Tesla. But when they built the original Roadster, it was much easier to buy the rolling chassis and just concentrate on the drivetrain.

And in my not-so-humble opinion, they did not make a mistake in choosing the Lotus Elise for the body of the Roadster. It's an absolutely gorgeous car, and my biggest complaint about mine is the aftermarket Alpine "infotainment" system, which was an option I ended up with because I bought an existing car from inventory, and it was the least-optioned one available. I honestly don't think that at the time, when they were just starting, they could have built a better rolling chassis. Note that they barely had enough capital to bring the Roadster to market. If they'd had to do the R&D on the rolling chassis as well as the drivetrain they might not have been able to pull it off.

The next Tesla Roadster will be a far better car. But I don't think they could have built a better car than the one they did at the time. I'll have to sell mine when I get my Model 3, because I don't have space for another car, and I want the safety features mine does not have. But I'm really going to miss it.

Elon Musk said they made a huge mistake using the Lotus chassis. Because they had to re-engineer ~98% of the parts for EV use. They made very little to no money on the car. The fact that it was good looking has nothing to do with it.

It would have been cheaper and faster to start from scratch.

No doubt Roadster 2.0 will be all Tesla. And my guess is a much more expensive vehicle. Capable of "maximum plaid" mode.

Maybe a Model 3 convertible for a more mass market sports car.

Tesla had two objectives with the Roadster. Failing either would have been game over. They needed to develop and refine the drive train - the batteries, electronics, motor, etc. And they needed to wake up the market as to what a BEV could be. If they had chosen anything but a recognizable, iconic sports car as the platform, I don't think they would have pulled off the second objective. Failing that, their name and the market wouldn't have developed, and the Model S likely would have failed to sell.

That we now have companies like Alcraft making a go of it is a testament that Tesla was right in the making of the Roadster. It opened the doors for them.

This is certainly an interesting car, and I hope they succeed in bringing it to market. Preferably full sized. That said, I'm keeping my Roadster.