Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alert # 1022?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sethr

CPO Roadster #1089
Mar 24, 2013
Fairfax, VA
Hi, does anyone know what alert 1022 (DMC Fault 1A Ov... is all the VDS shows) signifies? I had returned from a short drive in the rain, and after toweling off my Roadster, plugged in to charge. Charging stopped soon after, for a short time; I wasn't in the garage, but it couldn't have been more than a minute when I heard the clunk of the HPWC resuming charging. Looking at the VDS under recent alerts showed fault #1022. Not listed on the list of fault codes....

Any info would be appreciated - Thanks in advance!

Hi, does anyone know what alert 1022 (DMC Fault 1A Ov... is all the VDS shows) signifies? I had returned from a short drive in the rain, and after toweling off my Roadster, plugged in to charge. Charging stopped soon after, for a short time; I wasn't in the garage, but it couldn't have been more than a minute when I heard the clunk of the HPWC resuming charging. Looking at the VDS under recent alerts showed fault #1022. Not listed on the list of fault codes....

Any info would be appreciated - Thanks in advance!

The fault text is DMC IA OverCurrent Peak in Charge. I didn't bother adding it to the VDS messages list because the errors in this section seemed unfinished and likely unused (DMC Fault ... vs DMC FW: ...). I'll add the rest then.

Anyway I digress, the error says that the phase A current peaked over the firmware limit while charging. Does the error keep showing up or was this a one time occurrence? Are there any other over current errors coming from phase A?

Thanks, this is the first and (knock on wood) only time. I do not think I've ever had a related fault, unless it occurred before I learned how to access the fault codes. It was still raining, could this have been due to a surge over the power lines? We have frequent brief outages in my area, and they are always switching lines around causing flickers (lights, radio etc.), maybe this is the first time it happened while charging?

could this have been due to a surge over the power lines?
Possibly, but I would also expect to see a surge in the voltage too. You can take a look at your log file and see if anything looks amiss around the time of the #1022 error.

maybe this is the first time it happened while charging?
With this particular error, #1022, it can only occur during a charge. Check your log file for other phase A over current events which can also occur during driving.

Hopefully, it was a simple fluke.

Does the error keep showing up or was this a one time occurrence?
I've been using my TS-70 HPC without issue for three years using scheduled overnight charging in Standard mode but have recently started encountering this error (since October) and it's become more frequent since the car's been sitting more during COVID. Here are the conditions I've observed:
  • SOC < 80% - charge session seems to work as expected
  • SOC > 80% - charge session starts but stops and throws Error 1022 and red LED in charge port; charging then restarts and works occasionally
Are there any other over current errors coming from phase A?
Yes, I've seen 1148 which indicates "IA OverCurrent" as well as a number of others which may or may not be coming from Phase A. 1022 is however the most prevalent. Here's the full list:
  • 104 TCM: Lost DMC comms
  • 974 Red DMC FW: Pole Current Error fault
  • 1022 [DMC IA OverCurrent Peak in Charge] [DMC FAULT 122]
  • 1048 DMC HW: Line Over Current warning
  • 1090 DMC FW: Line Current Error warning
  • 1148 [DMC WARNING IA OverCurrent in Charge] [DMC WARNING 120]
  • 3001 SHFT: APS Voltage
As noted, this issue seems to only appear when the car is in a SOC greater than 80% and the scheduled overnight charge session to top it off begins. I've also tried my SMC and have received the same error. However, If I drive the car down to, say, 60% and then initiate a charge, everything works as expected with the EVSE and the car communicating swimmingly to bring the car back up to its 80% SOC. FWIW, L3 DCFC via JdeMO works fine at any SOC so this is specific to L1/L2 charging.

New year's update. I drove the car yesterday and took it down inside the last 10% (power limiting) and immediately initiated an L2 charge at home @40A. The charging worked exactly as expected and I manually stopped it at 70% to see if the overnight scheduled session would top off the remaining 10-12%. Waking up this morning, OVMS showed that the session started as planned at 3AM but another 1022 error was thrown. The charging session restarted and the charge completed without issue afterward.

@petergrub @CM_007 @ExecMotorwerkz @warden_clyffe would love your thoughts on this one?

I can't find anything on alerts #1022 or #1048. I've been looking for the past few days. However, the other alerts that occurred along with the #1022/#1048 alerts could be telling of what's going on or at least give clues of where to look.

• 104 TCM: Lost DMC comms --> Ignore this alert. It gets thrown constantly in almost all the log files I have parsed.
  • 974 Red DMC FW: Pole Current Error fault --> This can occur when there is current present on the phase(s) yet the PEM is idle. The log file can give which phase(s), the measured current, and delta if one of the phases is acting up.
  • 1022 [DMC IA OverCurrent Peak in Charge] [DMC FAULT 122]
  • 1048 DMC HW: Line Over Current warning --> I don't have much information on this alert, but seems to indicate a problem detected in the PEM's input line hardware.
  • 1090 DMC FW: Line Current Error warning --> Appears to point to the PEM's input line current sensor differs sufficiently from the Phase A pole current sensor's measured current. Again, the log file should have the data for each of the measured currents.
  • 1148 [DMC WARNING IA OverCurrent in Charge] [DMC WARNING 120]
  • 3001 SHFT: APS Voltage --> I believe this is the gear shifter complaining that its fused 12V power is below a certain threshold. You can easily measure that supply voltage from the ODBII connector pins 16 (12V) and 4/5 (GND) on 2.X Roadsters.
One option would be to see if you can find a local Roadster owner that would be willing to swap PEMs with you to rule out or single out the PEM as the problem. I would venture to say that since the lion's share of the above alerts are all reported by the DMC in the PEM that the issue resides there. I do however agree with @warden_clyffe that the DC fast charging takes its toll on the Roadster's battery pack, but DC fast charging bypasses the PEM (namely the PEM's line circuitry and pole current sensors).

• Informative
Reactions: Roadster
3001 SHFT: APS Voltage --> I believe this is the gear shifter complaining that its fused 12V power is below a certain threshold. You can easily measure that supply voltage from the ODBII connector pins 16 (12V) and 4/5 (GND) on 2.X Roadsters.
I get this one from time to time, nearly as often as the 104. No ill effects observed. I think it's just the APS power ramp not being quite what the car expected. I have those days, too :).

• Helpful
Reactions: Roadster
Thx for the detailed reply @petergrub. And thx @warden_clyffe for the PM responses. Very helpful! Though, sadly, it appears we still don't have any idea what alert #1022 itself is o_O

I'm planning to take the car to @ExecMotorwerkz soon and hopefully we can run some tests to help narrow things down. For now, fortunately, I'm still able to drive and charge with only the annoyance of #1022 being thrown on L1 and L2 as mentioned. The other errors listed thankfully haven't reappeared.