Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alert 1418: HVAC: Compressor Stalled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

slcasner

Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2011
Sunnyvale, CA
After coming home from a drive today, the battery was at 96 degrees so I wanted to cool it down using the @ML Auto mod I installed, which is a switch to manually actuate the solenoid to divert A/C to the battery instead of the cabin. Shortly after starting that I got a notification on my iPhone from OVMS with the Alert 1418: HVAC: Compressor Stalled. I tried flipping the switch back to normal to see if the A/C would cool the cabin, but although the air was cool, I don't think the compressor was running. The big fans on the condenser under the hood were not running. I shut off the car and back on to try again, but still no luck.

Is there something I can do to remedy this?

I have had Tesla perform the annual service every year except 2020 since the car was driven very little. Looking back at the 2019 service, the refill is not marked. In 2018 it was done, so 2 years, 9 months. But the A/C worked fine just a couple of weeks ago, so it did not seem low.

The SC overfilled mine a few years ago (and then charged me to redo it!), but the result was a 1463 alert (compressor overtemp), not a stall. After the system cooled... Wait. The battery was how hot? I hope that's in degrees F...

Besides checking the fuses, perhaps look in the diagnostic menu where it shows the HVAC status. Wonder what the "requested" vs "delivered" screens show.

Oh, and how does one report a problem with the VDS Messages Wiki page? It's got some sort of HTML issue, with most of it unreadable.

Checking the HVAC diagnostic screen, the compressor RPM periodically increases to about 512 RPM and then drops back to zero. If I can believe the RPM sensor, then the compressor is not frozen, but it is not spinning up to 6000 rpm like it should, either. So maybe a faulty compressor is most likely. The refrigerant pressure ranges from 4.5 to 6.0 bar or so; that seems OK, therefore probably not a problem of loss of refrigerant.
In the bottom section, the requested cooling shows as 0%, with the delivered sometimes being 100%. That seems strange.