Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alert/Error message: UI_a111 Re-insert USB into glovebox for higher speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to ignore the message and just noticed yesterday it's gone. Not sure how long it has been gone. I did perform a reboot for other reasons a few weeks back so that may have cleared it as T4M3 suggested above. However, in my case, I didn't remove the USB. I just rebooted. Again, I didn't specifically notice when the error message went away.

In case you encounter this error "UI_a111 Re-insert USB into glovebox for higher speed"

It does not go away no matter how many times you remove and re-insert the USB memory stick in your glovebox.

The solution is as follows:

1. Remove the USB memory stick
2. Perform a reset (hold down both wheels on the steering wheel)
3. Wait for the system to reboot
4. Re-insert USB memory stick
5. Check alerts, the message should be gone now

View attachment 788765
Had the same issue and here is how to fix it:

Use or buy another "USB cable" that is high speed. I was using a "non-high speed USB-A to USB-C" "cable" and it is too slow and the car can detect it now. Amazon sells short, 5 inches high speed USB cable and works perfectly.

Did you try the steps I did originally post?

1. Remove the USB memory stick
2. Perform a reset (hold down both wheels on the steering wheel)
3. Wait for the system to reboot
4. Re-insert USB memory stick
5. Check alerts, the message should be gone now
Old thread but came across it when I started to have this issue today. Just wanted to say the fix worked for me and thanks!

Having this issue on my ‘23 MXP. Tesla drive that came with the car works fine but the 2TB Samsung T7 shows this error.
Soft reset didn’t work and neither did reformatting the drive from the cars menu. Had service center check it out and they stated:

“Diagnosed and found customers SSD drive cannot be formatted to FAT32, the required file format for the dash cam use. Installed a Tesla branded USB drive and the system is working as designed. Customer did not want the Tesla drive and removed it from vehicle.”

SO I've experienced this ever since I started using a sammy extreme SSD. I did partition it so that I have separate music on separate partition.
I did try the disconnect/reboot trick and that did not appear to do anything.
I've also made sure that I am using a good high-speed usb A - usb C cable.

Any other ideas?

SO I've experienced this ever since I started using a sammy extreme SSD. I did partition it so that I have separate music on separate partition.
I did try the disconnect/reboot trick and that did not appear to do anything.
I've also made sure that I am using a good high-speed usb A - usb C cable.

Any other ideas?
This is maybe a shot in the dark, but did you name the partitions properly?

Maybe? What should they be?

I did have a different SSD sitting around, so I took that down, and let the car reformat it. Same error.
It seems like you have more going on here than could be solved by just partition names, but here is the post I had followed when configuring things:

I just got the UI_a111 message today for the first time.

I have a Samsung T7 Shield 1TB drive in the glovebox, partitioned pretty much exactly the same as the post quoted above (3 partitions, one for Cam stuff, one for Music and a tiny one for LightShow that I've never used). It's been in the car since day 1. I've had the MY for a little over a month now. No issues until today.

I did notice that the USB cable that came with the drive must have died the other day because the drive showed as no longer being connected. I used the same cable to connect to my PC and got nothing... another cable shows all 3 partitions so RIP that cable. Guessing the Southern CA heat (hasn't even been hot yet this summer but anyway) killed it.

I used a new USB cable that worked with the drive on my PC, that seems to have triggered the UI_a111 error.

Pretty sure the issue is with having a combination of:

a) relatively a lot of data on the drive that the car is probably trying to index through (I had something like 200GB of data accumulated in a month between the Sentry and Saved clips -- just a handful), and
b) a slower/older USB cable

So I'm off to try to find a fast USB 3.1/3.2 data cable to take care of "b" above... I'll report back.

Update (I can't edit my post anymore or I would have): I found another cable around the house but looks like it's only USB 2.0. The UI_a111 error is gone BUT now I've got a new error -- "UI_a080: Some clips not saved - USB too slow for Dashcam / Use USB drive that writes at 4MB/s or higher"

So, yeah, going to have to find a proper USB 3.0+ data cable.

I just got the UI_a111 message today for the first time.

I have a Samsung T7 Shield 1TB drive in the glovebox, partitioned pretty much exactly the same as the post quoted above (3 partitions, one for Cam stuff, one for Music and a tiny one for LightShow that I've never used). It's been in the car since day 1. I've had the MY for a little over a month now. No issues until today.

I did notice that the USB cable that came with the drive must have died the other day because the drive showed as no longer being connected. I used the same cable to connect to my PC and got nothing... another cable shows all 3 partitions so RIP that cable. Guessing the Southern CA heat (hasn't even been hot yet this summer but anyway) killed it.

I used a new USB cable that worked with the drive on my PC, that seems to have triggered the UI_a111 error.

Pretty sure the issue is with having a combination of:

a) relatively a lot of data on the drive that the car is probably trying to index through (I had something like 200GB of data accumulated in a month between the Sentry and Saved clips -- just a handful), and
b) a slower/older USB cable

So I'm off to try to find a fast USB 3.1/3.2 data cable to take care of "b" above... I'll report back.
I have this exact drive and getting same message. I bought a shorter cable so maybe that's the issue.

I assume this will work?

Last edited: