Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alert for leaving phone (key) in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow.

I thought the point of this thread was the concern about leaving your car unlocked and ready to steal. That’s my concern, as I always keep a backup card in my wallet. I’ve walked away with it unlocked a few times now, and always feel fortunate to see my car is still there when I return. Plus, I don’t want to lose my phone.
Enable PIN to drive would to reduce chances of car theft even if the phone is left inside.

Last edited:
So simple to fix. Beep horn twice and display message “phone left on charger” if a phone is on the charger and the drivers door is opened and the drivers seat doesn’t detect a body in the seat.
The car will beep when you’ve left your lights on, even though it still turns them off for you. Seems like it could do the same when the phone key is in the car and the driver gets out of the seat.

The car also recognizes humans in its environment. It renders them from 40 feet away in the beta.

It could be smart enough to think: someone just left the seat, is walking away from the car, left their phone inside, nobody else is in the car. Give them a triple honk when they get 15 feet away or disappear from the camera view.

That way it wouldn’t be alerting for small issues like popping out to open the trunk, but would if you walk away from the car leaving your phone inside.

Haven’t physically tested this myself, and I will (that’s the USAF in me) but I’m 68 as is my wife and this Key Phone/Card is new to us and I suspect most others, also our Tesla is the first car we have owned with a phone charging pad and that nifty cubby can easily hide your phone from sight. The perfect storm.

If Tesla starts selling more cars to (dare I say it) aging Baby Boomers they will need to ensure they don’t get stranded on the way to visit the grand kids. Murphy’s Law and *sugar* Happens.
I’m only a year behind you, and in the three weeks I’ve had the MYP, I’ve walked away a few times, at least several steps, before turning around to grab my phone. In my last car, the phone was in an air vent holder and in my direct view. With the MYP, I switched from Apple Music to Tidal, which means the phone often stays on the charge pad, not in my primary scan. I haven’t had to use the backup key card in my wallet, but I think that’s only a matter of time. Now, what happens when my phone is on the charge pad, and I get tired of sitting on my wallet and put it in the center console? Call AAA? No, wait, the phone’s in the car!

I’ve left my iPhone in the wireless charger spot of my 2021 Model Y several times. Last week I parked in the Home Depot parking lot, walked half way to the store and realized that my phone was not in my pocket. So back to the car to retrieve my phone. I would welcome some kind of a warning that a phone being used as a key fob has been left in the car.

Reactions: TBrownTX
When you leave your key and try to lock ur car in ICE cars you get an audible beep or you cannot close car by touching handle etc.

But if you use ur phone as key for Y, and leave the phone in the charger and walk out, there is no alert.

Because Y is set to auto lock on walking away you don’t realize until you walk away that you left the key-phone behind.

Is there a work around or setup that will help, so I don’t leave the phone in car and walk away?

Thanks.
car doesn't lock on walk-away if the phone is still inside.

Until Tesla decides to build in a phone alert notification, you can use Bolt for Tesla along with Tasker (android phones) to create a phone alert whenever you leave the car. In my case, the phone plays a notification, says "remember to take the phone," and turns on the phone screen whenever I open the driver side door while in the car. It will also flash the headlight 3 times for a visual cue as I leave the car.

My reasoning on this topic is you will need to think that the Tesla phone key is another key just like a physical key for other cars. Once the key (including Tesla phone key) is detected in the car, the car will stay unlocked since the car doesn't know/keeping track of you. If you have the phone with you, the Tesla will know you're walking away from the car and lock the car since it keeping track of the phone (happened to be with you) and not you. This is same premise as other car manufactures with physical car keys. My Toyota wouldn't let me lock the car at all using the sensor on the car handle if it detects the physical key inside the car. Even when I leave the car key inside the Toyota and force the lock by using the unlock/lock button inside, the car would beep at me and unlock that car after I close the door. I'm new with Tesla and haven't tried out the scenario where I have both the key card and phone key then leave the phone key behind. My thinking is depending which that I key I used to unlock the car, therefore active profile for that key, before I leave the phone key behind. The active key/profile is the one Tesla would track for locking the car is my presumption.