Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alert for leaving phone (key) in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you leave your key and try to lock ur car in ICE cars you get an audible beep or you cannot close car by touching handle etc.

But if you use ur phone as key for Y, and leave the phone in the charger and walk out, there is no alert.

Because Y is set to auto lock on walking away you don’t realize until you walk away that you left the key-phone behind.

Is there a work around or setup that will help, so I don’t leave the phone in car and walk away?

Thanks.

Reactions: astrobill
I might be mistaken, but if I remember correctly, my Audi only beeped if you close the doors and they are locked, essentially locking the car with the keys inside. That’s a near impossibility in a Tesla as you would have to press lock on the touch screen since there is no physical lock switch.

My guess is there is no beep on Tesla’s on walk away is there is no way to tell you have actually walked away if the phone is still in the car. Yes it can tell you are not sitting in the car, but what if the driver gets out of the car and walks to the trunk, or walks around to the passenger side to let your girlfriend or mom in the car? Could it then be timer based? If timer, how long would it have to be without beeping unnecessarily and becoming annoying in those situations? Might someone get far enough away where they don’t hear it?

Might be a simple feature to implement to beep when you leave the car and lock with the keycard and the phone key is still inside...but honestly how often would someone have both setup and use them like that?

This has been a consistent issue for me. If I am driving with my phone on the charger I often forget to take my phone with me. It would be nice if there were an option for the forgetful drivers to enable an audible signal when the driver leaves the car and closes the drivers door with the phone still in the car. Maybe I'm forgetful but I am certain i am not the only one.

I might be mistaken, but if I remember correctly, my Audi only beeped if you close the doors and they are locked, essentially locking the car with the keys inside. That’s a near impossibility in a Tesla as you would have to press lock on the touch screen since there is no physical lock switch.

My guess is there is no beep on Tesla’s on walk away is there is no way to tell you have actually walked away if the phone is still in the car. Yes it can tell you are not sitting in the car, but what if the driver gets out of the car and walks to the trunk, or walks around to the passenger side to let your girlfriend or mom in the car? Could it then be timer based? If timer, how long would it have to be without beeping unnecessarily and becoming annoying in those situations? Might someone get far enough away where they don’t hear it?

Might be a simple feature to implement to beep when you leave the car and lock with the keycard and the phone key is still inside...but honestly how often would someone have both setup and use them like that?

@Enadler @jmaddr

Yes, my problem is the same as Enadler. In most ICE cars they have physical buttons on the car door to lock the door. If you leave the key in the car and try to lock the car it beeps and will not let you lock it.

With Tesla there is no door handle lock button. If you use the key card to lock then yes it is obvious that you can not lock without key card. The problem arises when you use the phone to lock the car.

I (I guess a lot of others) who use the phone to lock the car, leave the phone in the charging dock. Yes the car is set to beep for auto lock on walk away. But in a loud environment or on habit one may walk away assuming that the car is locked but in fact we have left the actual car key (Phone) in the car with the car unlocked and not realize it until later (who knows may be even much later- we do not walk around with the phone 24/7 and are not conditioned to check for the phone always).

Perhaps I may have to stop using the phone as the key, unless Tesla comes out with a solution.

When you leave your key and try to lock ur car in ICE cars you get an audible beep or you cannot close car by touching handle etc.

But if you use ur phone as key for Y, and leave the phone in the charger and walk out, there is no alert.

Because Y is set to auto lock on walking away you don’t realize until you walk away that you left the key-phone behind.

Is there a work around or setup that will help, so I don’t leave the phone in car and walk away?

Thanks.
My Prius V would beep a few times, externally, any time the front door was closed with the engine still on.
It wouldn't seem too hard to add a similar thing that would beep any time the driver side door was closed with the phone or a key inside.

+1 left my phone on the charging pad and was a mile away before I realized.... (now added pin to drive to avert a real disaster)

Dont carry a wallet as my phone case holds cc's so keeping a key card in there wouldn't help.
Wondering what I'd do if I left/lost my phone someplace. 1st world problems!

+1 left my phone on the charging pad and was a mile away before I realized.... (now added pin to drive to avert a real disaster)

Dont carry a wallet as my phone case holds cc's so keeping a key card in there wouldn't help.
Wondering what I'd do if I left/lost my phone someplace. 1st world problems!
That's exactly what I am talking about. I am sure it is an easy fix for the software to do this.

Reactions: sfRonH

Thanks.
According to the manual the car uses Bluetooth to detect the phone for locking and unlocking. If the phone is left in the car it should allow the car to unlock when the handle is opened. My assumption is the car locks when the bluetooth signal is far enough away from the car.

Thanks.
I confess I have done this in my Model 3. My backup is that I always carry the key card in my wallet. Like you, I was surprised to find the car would auto-lock with the phone still in the car.

According to the manual the car uses Bluetooth to detect the phone for locking and unlocking. If the phone is left in the car it should allow the car to unlock when the handle is opened. My assumption is the car locks when the bluetooth signal is far enough away from the car.
Yes it does. The problem is we forget to take the phone with us, when you leave the car.

Haven’t physically tested this myself, and I will (that’s the USAF in me) but I’m 68 as is my wife and this Key Phone/Card is new to us and I suspect most others, also our Tesla is the first car we have owned with a phone charging pad and that nifty cubby can easily hide your phone from sight. The perfect storm.

If Tesla starts selling more cars to (dare I say it) aging Baby Boomers they will need to ensure they don’t get stranded on the way to visit the grand kids. Murphy’s Law and *sugar* Happens.