Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alert for leaving phone (key) in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2005 Prius beeped at me if I tried to lock the car with keys inside. You'd think a Tesla would warn you if you shut the door with a phone/fob inside.
Again. How would it do it? There isn't a button on the outside of the car, like your Prius, for it to know you're not with your key when you're trying to lock it. The Tesla sees your phone and assumes you're with it. There's no metric for it to realize you've left your phone behind.

Again. How would it do it? There isn't a button on the outside of the car, like your Prius, for it to know you're not with your key when you're trying to lock it. The Tesla sees your phone and assumes you're with it. There's no metric for it to realize you've left your phone behind.
Not exactly true...

The car knows when I've arrived at my destination, as I put the car into park. It then thoughtfully sets my parking brake for me.

It also knows when I plan to get OUT of the car, as I take my seatbelt off, and my Model Y then thoughtfully moves my seat back and the steering wheel out of my way.

It ALSO knows when I've opened my car door, and then closed the car door. If it senses your cell phone still in the car, it could certainly play a tone from the outside speaker, to let the driver know that, hey... somethings amiss!

(You know, that outside speaker can be used for more then simply playing fart sounds!)

Really would be a nice added feature, which could be easily programmed in to our Teslas.

Reactions: nurusz and TBrownTX
This has been a consistent issue for me. If I am driving with my phone on the charger I often forget to take my phone with me. It would be nice if there were an option for the forgetful drivers to enable an audible signal when the driver leaves the car and closes the drivers door with the phone still in the car. Maybe I'm forgetful but I am certain i am not the only one.
You're not.
I thought I was the only one. Glad I;m not

Reactions: CaseyL
How do you get Apple watch to remind you
Here's how to enable the feature.
  1. Open the Find My app. For Apple Watch, open either the Find Devices or Find Items app, depending on what product you want to turn this feature on for.
    1. For iPhone, AirPods (Pro and Max), Watch, iPad, etc., choose Find Devices.
    2. For AirTags and Works with Find My devices, tap Find Items.
  2. For the Find My app, navigate to the bottom row of tabs. Then, tap Devices (for iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad) or Items (for AirTags and FindMy network products).
  3. Choose your device from the list of what’s available and associated with your Apple ID.
    1. At this time, you cannot turn this feature on for devices in your family associated with another family member’s Apple ID.
  4. Scroll down to the Notifications section, and tap Notify When Left Behind.
Note: Your device must run at least iPadOS and iOS 15, watchOS 8, or macOS Monterey.

Tim

When you leave your key and try to lock ur car in ICE cars you get an audible beep or you cannot close car by touching handle etc.

But if you use ur phone as key for Y, and leave the phone in the charger and walk out, there is no alert.

Because Y is set to auto lock on walking away you don’t realize until you walk away that you left the key-phone behind.

Is there a work around or setup that will help, so I don’t leave the phone in car and walk away?

Thanks.
Do not leave the phone in car

So just to clarify, is the requirement here to get notified that you forgot the phone in the car OR to prevent the car from locking?
If first, it's not Tesla's problem to track the phone - brings a lot of unnecessary complications.
If latter, then it's already doing it:

1649944125936.png

• Informative
Reactions: jleeusn
So just to clarify, is the requirement here to get notified that you forgot the phone in the car OR to prevent the car from locking?
If first, it's not Tesla's problem to track the phone - brings a lot of unnecessary complications.
If latter, then it's already doing it:

View attachment 793618
They want an alert from the car to remind them they left the phone in the charger. I just listen for the 'beep' of the alarm setting and if I don't hear it, I obviously left my phone behind.

Workaround: keep phone in pocket.
Both of the above are typical Tesla Fan Boi, glib, non-funny, irritating responses from the "Tesla can do no wrong" children's camp.

As noted in this thread, there have, indeed, been cases where people leave their phones in the car and for whatever reason get locked out (e.g., phone turns off Bluetooth, connection glitches, phone dies, etc.) and they don't have their credit card key.

I understand the need for an alert; one of the things I miss from my Q5. If my phone was plugged in and I put the car in park and opened the driver door, an alert would sound reminding me my phone was still in the car.

I have set the Tesla to lock audibly; so if you leave the phone in the car and walk away, it should NOT honk and lock. I watch for that sound and if I don't hear, I know I have left my phone behind. Workaround that might work for some?

Both of the above are typical Tesla Fan Boi, glib, non-funny, irritating responses from the "Tesla can do no wrong" children's camp.

As noted in this thread, there have, indeed, been cases where people leave their phones in the car and for whatever reason get locked out (e.g., phone turns off Bluetooth, connection glitches, phone dies, etc.) and they don't have their credit card key.
If you think I’m a Tesla fanboi, you haven’t been around very long.

If you insist on using your phone as the key, and can’t remember to take it with you, I don’t know what to tell you. How did you make it all these years when you had to use a traditional key? Sounds like you must have been calling AAA quite a bit.

• Disagree
Reactions: leaftoy
If you think I’m a Tesla fanboi, you haven’t been around very long.

If you insist on using your phone as the key, and can’t remember to take it with you, I don’t know what to tell you. How did you make it all these years when you had to use a traditional key? Sounds like you must have been calling AAA quite a bit.
Keys and a phone are not an equal comparison.

In the old days, if you left your keys in the ignition you got a warning chime (or buzzer if you‘re old enough.) Many cars would not let you lock the doors with your keys in the ignition.

With the newer fobs you never take them out of your pocket/purse, so leaving them in the car was not an issue.

Tesla actually has a phone charger under the screen in my MY. It‘s tucked underneath so it’s very easy to miss a black phone sitting on the black charger if you take a quick glance. No add the fact that you‘ve got a kid or shopping bags or your lunch or purse or who knows what else that you’re gathering up before getting out of the car and it’s very easy to forget the phone. Except now it’s not just an inconvenience. Now someone can steal the car. I’ve gotten better and generally make a point to grab my phone but I still do it on occasion.

New newest versions of Apple‘s OS’s have a feature to tell you if you’ve left a device behind so my watch will tell me if I left my phone behind, but it’s not perfect and isn’t very quick, so it will help but isn’t a great solution.

I agree with the request - Tesla gives a warning chime when you leave the lights on (even though they’ll turn themselves off anyway,) why can’t they do the same when you exit the car and your phone is in the car?

Ummm....ok, glide....one point of this thread is that there have been instances where a Tesla locks itself with the phone key left inside (e.g., phone disconnects, bluetooth interference, battery dies, Tesla software bugs, etc.).

With respect to the AAA dig, not really sure what you're getting at there, dude. Projecting your own experience, or...?

Last edited:
Reactions: sleepydoc
The entire point of this thread, glide, is that there have been instances where a Tesla locks itself with the phone key left inside. What about this is proving so hard for to you grasp? Do you need hand puppets? An animated cartoon? What will it take to convey to your infantile intellect the issue here?
Wow.

I thought the point of this thread was the concern about leaving your car unlocked and ready to steal. That’s my concern, as I always keep a backup card in my wallet. I’ve walked away with it unlocked a few times now, and always feel fortunate to see my car is still there when I return. Plus, I don’t want to lose my phone.