Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alert warning: "Vehicle may not restart. Service is required" Code BMS_a035. "Electrical ...."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I now have these Alert warnings: "Vehicle may not restart. Service is required" Code BMS_a035. "Electrical system power reduced. Vehicle may shut down unexpectedly". Currently the vehicle is parked at a parking deck and I'm at work....I live 150 miles from the nearest Service Center, so it's not a quick drive. I already have a mobile service call out for next week for a hood sensor latch malfunction. I have forwarded these error messages on the service tab of my Tesla app. Tried soft reboot but messages persist. Any other suggestions? I suspect a wiring fault with the 12v battery, although I see similar error messages in Tesla forums with rear drive motor and fuses.....will hopefully be able to limp home and call roadside assistance if needed?

Yikes, how long have you had your car? I hope you can get it safely to a service center, or a mobile appointment.
I just had it since end September - only 2800 miles on it so far (<6 months)....I just managed to drive it home. Other errors also kept popping up (USB outlet in central console not operative etc) but the car was drivable. I have put it on the charger. Will probably do a hard reset and wait for the mobile service for next week....I have a feeling it might need a trip to the service center.

I just had it since end September - only 2800 miles on it so far (<6 months)....I just managed to drive it home. Other errors also kept popping up (USB outlet in central console not operative etc) but the car was drivable. I have put it on the charger. Will probably do a hard reset and wait for the mobile service for next week....I have a feeling it might need a trip to the service center.

Sounds like a good move.

I got the same error message today after leaving my car at the airport for 3 days. Worked fine the day back and on the way to work got that message. The Tesla service number does not pick up and I can only schedule a mobile appointment for Wednesday :( Thinking I might just go drive up there in a bit and see if they can squeeze me in.

I got the same error message today after leaving my car at the airport for 3 days. Worked fine the day back and on the way to work got that message. The Tesla service number does not pick up and I can only schedule a mobile appointment for Wednesday :( Thinking I might just go drive up there in a bit and see if they can squeeze me in.
Did that work? Just got the message today.

i recently got the same message. took my car in and they said the rear drive unit needs to be replaced. however, they are on back order and i have to wait two weeks. they gave me a loaner of course but they set the car in 'chill mode' and it can't be changed, at least by me.

Over the last two weeks, I’ve been getting an intermittent BMS_a035 error notification on my almost three year old Model 3 LR Dual Motor. I haven’t been notified of any other errors. My 3 is garage kept and has only 16,244 miles. By “intermittent”, I mean that it appears, disappears and reappears. The car has never not “restarted”.

Because I’m in CT, I don’t have good access to Tesla Service Centers. They cannot be sold here, which is totally stupid. My $4,000+ of sales tax was paid to NY. When I scheduled my service appointment through the app, Mobile Service was not an option, and I could choose between an appointment toward the end of August at the CT Service Center that’s one hour away or an appointment on Thursday at a NY Service Center that’s one and a half hours away.

I’m taking a road trip on Thursday. Wish me luck!

I had the same problem on my 2021 M3 at 3k miles. Had it towed in, at least it broke down in my drive way. Service Dept. say's This:
Hello Larry,

Parts have been ordered for servicing your car and we will continue to send you status updates twice a week until your appointment is completed. Please refer to the list below to see which parts have been received or are still on order.

Parts Ordered
  1. ASY, DRIVE INV, 3DU, GLOBAL, 810A, SIC, REAR
    Part #: 1079924-05-J
    Order Date: July 12, 2021

I have no clue what these parts are or why they would fail on a brand new car.
I LOVE my car and really miss it. We were getting ready to go to Panama City Beach Florida from Virginia the following week for a month vacation and celebrate my 65th birthday and retirement.

Was told it would take 1-2 weeks to repair and they gave me a 2018 M3 as a loner to use for "up to 200 miles"

Parts Ordered
  1. ASY, DRIVE INV, 3DU, GLOBAL, 810A, SIC, REAR
    Part #: 1079924-05-J
    Order Date: July 12, 2021

I have no clue what these parts are or why they would fail on a brand new car.
This is the drive inverter assembly, which is an electrical component that converts the DC power stored in the battery to AC for use by the drive motor. There’s always the possibility of “infant mortality“ with any electronics and you just got unlucky.

FWIW, I had this failure occur on my 2018 RWD with 21,000 miles not long ago. Mine was still drivable, but I got a service appointment for the following Monday and got the car back Thursday. I’ve put another 3000 miles on the car since the repair without issue.

I have a 2018 M3P with 12,500 miles on it. About 3 weeks ago I brought it in for service to replace the 12V battery and charge port door. Service at Norwell, MA was terrific and the car has been operating fine... until today. I just got a notice on my screen that " your Tesla may not restart/ service required. I drove the car 10 miles to my home without any problems and did a dual scroll wheels reset. I scheduled a service appointment for next week but nearest service area is 50 miles away.
I'm waiting to hear from Tesla service as to whether they can determine from service logs whether it is any easy problem to fix or a big problem.
Any thoughts?
Jim

I have a 2018 M3P with 12,500 miles on it. About 3 weeks ago I brought it in for service to replace the 12V battery and charge port door. Service at Norwell, MA was terrific and the car has been operating fine... until today. I just got a notice on my screen that " your Tesla may not restart/ service required. I drove the car 10 miles to my home without any problems and did a dual scroll wheels reset. I scheduled a service appointment for next week but nearest service area is 50 miles away.
I'm waiting to hear from Tesla service as to whether they can determine from service logs whether it is any easy problem to fix or a big problem.
Any thoughts?
Jim
I have a 2018 M3P with 28000 miles. I got the BMS_035 "Car may not restart" error starting in June. I finally got into service Aug 12 and they replaced the HV wiring harness to the port and the Power Conversion System was not replaced until today, Aug 25. Unfortunately, when I got the car home, the car started throwing the same errors. Any idea what kind of error this is and what may be wrong?

I have a 2018 M3P with 28000 miles. I got the BMS_035 "Car may not restart" error starting in June. I finally got into service Aug 12 and they replaced the HV wiring harness to the port and the Power Conversion System was not replaced until today, Aug 25. Unfortunately, when I got the car home, the car started throwing the same errors. Any idea what kind of error this is and what may be wrong?
Now this problem changed to "Vehicle is Shutting Down: Pull Over Safely". I think I will ask Tesla to test drive it for a couple of days before I pick it up this time.

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-15 at 10.22.51 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-15 at 10.23.53 AM.jpeg

OK, if you read this far it's obvious that you're concern about that BMS warning message. Here's my experience from start to the end.

The BMS_w035 warning popped up on 1/7, soon BMS_u016 came on as well. I just replaced my V12 few months ago so I know it's not the V12 issue unless they failed to reconfigure my 2015 MS. I can still drive my car without any issues so I took it in to the SC in Plano, TX. The advisor told me "Found vehicles battery coolant heater to have internal fault". Luckily it's still under the warranty but in case you're wondering how much will it cost to replace, here's the break down for the labor only: Vehicle Electrical Isolation Procedure $102.50 + General Diagnosis $102.50 + Thermal System Test $20.50 = $225.50.

Dropped it off on 1/11, took them about 8 days to repair probably because I also have some other issues with the car - upper rear suspension link need to be replaced + recent recall. Anyway, I hope this helps.

PXL_20220107_182454474.jpg

Reactions: Rqcg