Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aliens tried to steal my mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dbitter1

Journeyman Member
Dec 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
Ok, looking for some reassurance I am not crazy here.

Out doing some errands, everything seems fine... get on the highway to come home, decide I need to be in the right lane, so look to see if the lane is clear, and... my passenger outside mirror is hanging from its perch. No earthly idea how, I'm positive I didn't hit anything.

When I stopped I looked at it very carefully... it intricately locks into the base, and oddly enough I was able to re-insert it by turning it all the way towards the car (as if they auto-folded), and carefully rotating it back. It now works fine- fold in and out, and adjusts in all four directions.

The really strange part is that the car has a good deal of road salt dust on it (thanks, Chicago winters) and there were NO indications anything touched it, and positively nothing that would hit it with enough force to knock it out of its perch (that would have left a mark!). My finger prints from re-inserting it were the only thing on it.

Has anyone else ever had their mirror just... fall out ?

LOL, funny thread! On a semi-related note, I had a Lexus that had a similar problem. The mirrors would just all of a sudden be flapping loose even when the car had been in the garage and I hadn't hit anything. Took it to the dealer, they insisted I MUST have hit something. Even paid $400 to buy a new one and reinstall it myself.

Turns out they were installed on the spring that provides the snap-back feature with a very wimpy compression nut that would back off over time letting the mirror go. I disassembled a broken one and replaced the nut (and then improved the design with a cotter key to prevent it from happening again).

Moral of the story is its possible something vibrated loose causing the mirror to come off and you might not be crazy. Or aliens, that's possible too. :smile:

LOL, funny thread! On a semi-related note, I had a Lexus that had a similar problem. The mirrors would just all of a sudden be flapping loose even when the car had been in the garage and I hadn't hit anything. Took it to the dealer, they insisted I MUST have hit something. Even paid $400 to buy a new one and reinstall it myself.

Turns out they were installed on the spring that provides the snap-back feature with a very wimpy compression nut that would back off over time letting the mirror go. I disassembled a broken one and replaced the nut (and then improved the design with a cotter key to prevent it from happening again).

Moral of the story is its possible something vibrated loose causing the mirror to come off and you might not be crazy. Or aliens, that's possible too. :smile:

My mother's IS has done that to both mirrors. I'm have tempted to drill through a small screw to give the spring something serious to hold onto.