Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AliExpress Screen Swivel Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks, so I'm going to pick up a screen swivel kit for my Model 3. I've gone through all the 3rd party sellers (Tesmanian, RPM, Abstract Ocean etc. etc.) and they all sell the identical kit for between $200 and $300. However, on AliExpress the EXACT same item (pictures are even identical) is for sale for less than $100. Has anyone purchased with a good experience from AliExpress? Here's an example: 98.37US $ 40% OFF|2017 2021 Tesla Model 3 Y Screen Swiveling Bracket GPS Touchscreen Rotating Bracket Newest Tesla 2021 Refit Accessories|GPS Stand| - AliExpress

Thanks!

Hey there. I’ve purchased quite a few items from various retailers on AliExpress. Never had any issues other than the long wait due to shipping from China. Only suggestion I have is to choose a seller that has been in business for at least a few years and with a decent rating (you can view each seller’s profile/rating).

Also, I’m always a little suspicious of sellers who are offering a seemingly identical product at a super low price (like at 1/3 the price of other sellers on AliExpress). I usually avoid those super low prices/sellers, but it also depends on the type of product that I’m buying. Good luck!!

Reactions: BarokPogi
My AliExpress order took exactly 2 weeks. Product is identical to above mentioned sellers. As much as it is good to support local sellers it's hard to do when it's up to 3x more for the exact identical product.

You will find that many of the sellers here in the U.S. buy from these exact same retailers in China that you do (but in bulk). They then mark up the price by 3 to 4 times the amount. If you want a guarantee that the product you are getting works and has a warranty with a shipping time under a week, then you pay for that piece of mind. (I have bought stuff from AliExpress and it can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months!!!! to get... if you get it at all!)

What is the price of piece of mind? In many cases, I'd say 3 to 4 times the cost of what it is on AliExpress. My .02 cents.

Very true about AliExpress reliability - very hit and miss. Depending on the item and seller, it may be worth it to buy from a US based seller and pay more. However, for this swivel kit, the seller I found on AliExpress sold the identical item (exactly what you see on DÆrik's youtube video). I received it in perfect condition, same packaging, it took two weeks and paid $93 USD shipped so I found it to be worth it. To spend 3x more for a week faster wouldn't have been worth it to me but that's very much my own opinion. Admittedly, I had zero idea whether it would turn out to be a good transaction but I was willing to take a risk based on savings and 100% positive feedback of the vendor I found. Also, it's been easy for me to get full refunds on things shipped that weren't satisfatory so that increased my comfort level. Often people buying from AliExpress just choose the cheapest price without reading some vendor feedback and that's what increases the chance of a bad transaction.

Reactions: LBM4
... Never had any issues other than the long wait due to shipping from China. ...
I've had plenty of issues. The descriptions often don't match the product shipped. They typically ship something cheaper. I've had defective products shipped and denied a refund. I'll still shop mostly from aliexpress because of the good prices, but buyer beware.

Is there a youtube video for the tilt screen? Wondering how much work it is to install.

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I just installed mine today. It is perfect. The swivel has a fair amount of tension so it will never move from road vibration or bumps. It also has a soft click at dead center so very easy to make it perfectly center.

The kit I bought from Ali is identical to locally sold ones (same factory) and even has the same black cardboard box with a magnetic clasp.

I just installed mine today. It is perfect. The swivel has a fair amount of tension so it will never move from road vibration or bumps. It also has a soft click at dead center so very easy to make it perfectly center.

The kit I bought from Ali is identical to locally sold ones (same factory) and even has the same black cardboard box with a magnetic clasp.

Can you please provide a link?

Bought this kit from Abstract Ocean on Black Friday deal for $135. Quite a bit more than Aliexpress but worth the quick shipping and hassle of returns. In fact when I got the kit it had a huge scratch on a piece of the silver plastic molding that would of been visible. I let AO know and they sent me a kit out that day. I don’t always go local but I thought in this case I should. I’m glad I did.

A word of caution about swivel kits:
The reviewer broke that push tab for the connector and rather than releasing the connector with a pick he decided to force it out while wiggling it. I don't think his problem was an issue with the kit itself but rather carelessness. I would not be surprised if this is the only person this happened to. The real caution is to not mod your car whatsoever if you're not a careful person.

Reactions: kessel_run
That white clip is not supposed to come off that way and I can see how much you're bending the connector by trying to yank it off sideways. You just need to press the button and it pulls straight off with zero effort. That, plus whatever fight you had with the purple connector latch is what caused the problem, not the swivel kit or the different gray housing.

But your video is great and your warning is quite valid! Every YouTube video I've seen shows someone wrestling the clip off sideways and then gives no advice for how to unlock the purple connector, so this has surely happened to many other people.

The little web on the gray plastic housing is pretty flimsy and doesn't really engage the connector in a thoughtful structural manner so it's clearly not intended to be a critical support. It's probably just an assembly aid to prevent issues with partially inserted connectors. But now that your connector is broken, that little bit of plastic is all you've got.

You can likely fix it well enough with some epoxy. Apply a thin coat to the board (only), unplug the purple connector properly then press the socket portion in place and let it cure overnight before reconnecting/reassembling.

Buyer beware buying anything from aliexpress, every product I had delivered from them was either not what I ordered or damaged in transit because they didn't pack it properly, 9 out of 10 the shipping back cost more than the product or at least 80 % of the original price.

Master card would not do a chargeback because of the aliexpress returns policy, your basically screwed.

Do not buy from them or do it at your own risk.

Buyer beware buying anything from aliexpress, every product I had delivered from them was either not what I ordered or damaged in transit because they didn't pack it properly, 9 out of 10 the shipping back cost more than the product or at least 80 % of the original price.

Master card would not do a chargeback because of the aliexpress returns policy, your basically screwed.

Do not buy from them or do it at your own risk.
AliExpress is definitely higher risk than North American based vendors. That being said, all purchases I received have been exactly what I expected. You seem to have experienced the opposite unfortunately. My worse experience on Ali was actually a recent purchase of a wireless charging pad. The seller wanted me to cancel my order and reorder after shipping prices were adjusted higher. I refused, it went back and forth (annoying AF), and I had to file a dispute which AliExpress intervened and I got a full refund. It was a PITA but in the end there was no monetary loss. Honestly, I've had worse experiences locally but I agree the percentage chance of a bad experience is probably higher on AliExpress. To date, knock on wood, I have never lost money or received anything that wasn't what I ordered.

Unfortunately close analysis of the Hannshow and many other kits reveals they are identical, so I will be robbed by Alibaba,
IMHO the nontilt side to side swivel one would be better, Murphy's laws apply. I will also make sure to add an extra split lock washer to make it more durable.
$80 but watch out even pic shows uneven drill holes, WTF?

Last edited: