Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AliExpress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In anticipation of imminent delivery I've just been looking on AliExpress for some essentials .e.g. jack pads, Carbon Fibre trim and I see that I can get then for about £16 and I can choose £16 and free delivery from China of £6 with £10 delivery from Poland. I am presuming that is get round vat? I am presuming (tell me otherwise) that if I buy stuff on AliExpress the tax man will intervene somewhere along the line with vat?

Buying from China or Poland should make no difference now regarding VAT. They may be banking on nobody checking from Poland by declaring a low value, but I can’t see why there’s anything stopping them doing that on the China item. I’ve bought stuff from China, usually mistakenly on eBay and if it’s low value it’s not been charged.

I’m guessing this is more to avoid seller fees if it’s like eBay as you pay them on the price and not on the shipping, or at least that’s how it used to be

If you buy from a market place like Aliexpress the VAT is already paid if it’s under £130 regardless of location outside the U.K. There is no duty under £130 either.

If it’s over £130 you need to check very carefully and there could be duty (import tariffs) depending on what it is and where it’s coming from.

Anything coming into the U.K. under £130 should have VAT pre-paid regardless of the location it’s coming from.

Reactions: Tian and Forty_Two