TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Alignment cost & rear axle question

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Alysashley79, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

How much is everyone paying for an alignment? I just had one done because the car was pulling to the left and took it to tesla and just paid $200 doesn't this seem high? I did a search but could only find some info from a year ago when it was half this...

secondly has has anyone had to have both rear axle and hub assembly's replaced? I'm at about 46,000 miles P85

2. sorka

sorka Active Member

Are you saying you had the rear axle and hubs replaced????

The Fremont SC quoted me $150 to do an alignment but that's about the price that the wheel and alignment places charge for lifetime alignments, so I declined.

3. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

This was my thought as well. All our other cars have lifetime alignments that cost around $150 to purchase one time and go in every 6 months or whenever we have a problem for a recheck. Any reason I would not do this with a Model S?

4. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

Yes. Rear axle and hub assembly along with both bearings.

5. CanuckS#69

CanuckS#69 Member

Why would they be charging you for an alignment for a repair while still under warrantee?

6. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

I had requested them to do an alignment and about 2 weeks ago the rear was making a clicking noise sounded like bicycle gears changing. I dropped by last week so they could hear the noise and the tech tried to lubricate everything which fixed the issue for about 2 days and when I showed up for my already scheduled alignment they decided to replace the axles.

Miso follow up question would changing out the axles require an alignment? I still somehow feel like $205 (with tax) was a lot for an alignment.

7. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

FWIW the annual maintenance includes an alignment.

8. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

My local shop didn't have the Tesla required tools to do an alignment for me. I really only wanted to confirm that it was correct, as the car is driving just fine. But I have 21's and wanted to reduce the built in scrub if possible. Has anybody had a shop say this?

I agree with finding a place with a lifetime warranty on alignment.

9. linkster

linkster Member

#9 linkster, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
    Intersesting. Don't know of any special tools required. Have heard of shops that are scared of the S and/or they don't have the S alignment specs in their database. One ultra, ultra high-mileager on the other forum drove 3hrs to my shop after his shop "gave-up" after two failed alignment attempts. I am out of factory spec on tire pressure, tire rotation schedule (perform myself), tire rotation methodology (perform myself), and I have my shop align the car to my desired alignment settings. I have to control (must be my OCD) all of these factors in order to achieve an acceptable service life of my expensive (to me) tires.

10. BlkCld

BlkCld Member

Not any more. Wanted $180 payment for an alignment and ahead of appointment 4 weeks out.
    Really disliking Tesla lately. :cursing:

11. mmccord

mmccord Member

I think I hold the record for paying the most for a Tesla SC to do an alignment on my car. They charged me $525 for mounting 4 tires and performing an alignment. $450 was for the alignment.

I will not be going back to Paramus. Will try out the Mt Kisco SC next time.

12. BertL

BertL Active Member

Likely a large part of that expense is because of Air Suspension. My former BMW alignment was double because of similar suspension -- over $450 back in 2010-11 or so, and fortunately I never had to do it with my MBZ, but IIRC it would have also been well over $400 because of not having standard coils. Both told me the (very) high cost was because of the additional time it takes for alignment with air suspension (or whatever each mfgr calls their variation.). When I had my MS alignment fixed this past December (under warranty fortunately) the invoice specifically calls out air suspension in the description... That makes me believe Tesla is doing like my BMW and MBZ experience, charging more when you have it than not.

13. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you got taken. Other than putting the car in standard ride height and maybe using different alignment specs, there is no difference.

14. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

You must have paid for something else because an alignment by Tesla costs $180, not $450.

15. smsprague

smsprague Member

I am in Tucson and taking my Tesla in for 25,000 service was quoted $150 if it needs alignment

16. mmccord

mmccord Member

Well then they charged me $350 to mount tires, so one way or another I got ripped off. I was verbally told $450 was for the alignment. Alignment.jpg

17. smsprague

smsprague Member

I do not have air suspension not sure that explains my $150 cost

18. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

The only thing I can think of, is that they saw a bulge in your pants(wallet), and also got one in theirs? :redface:

19. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I read that Tesla charges a pretty penny to mount tires, so the additional cost is probably where that came from. Ouch!

20. 2krazykats

2krazykats Member

Why? Is it because they don't want to do this type of service and are discouraging customers from asking for it? I wouldn't come back if they charged this much compared to other places.