Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alignment issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wratran

Model S and X
Feb 17, 2019
Dallas
I had my car aligned at Firestone. They said the front is maxed out and still in the red.

Any professional alignment tech out there that could advice on what need to fix this issue.

would a rear adjustable camber kit help the trust alignment?

Attachments

• F288C246-CDF9-46DB-A3CB-55A7BCE0B505.jpeg
    F288C246-CDF9-46DB-A3CB-55A7BCE0B505.jpeg
    309.6 KB · Views: 149
looks like too much camber on the front right wheel (i.e. top of the wheel is tilted too much inward). it's not too too bad so you could just live with it, keeping an eye on your inner edge tire wear.

and no, ordering a rear anything is not going to help. I wouldn't worry about getting an adjustable front camber set for 0.5° of camber.

yeah rear stuff isn't gonna fix your front problem. I'd look into what is wrong with your front suspension to make it that far out of wack. If one side is that far out of spec then likely it hit a curb crazy hard or was in a poorly repaired accident. Something is off with it though and that is what you need to get in there and diagnose.

Your bushings in your front control arms are likely shot. Most likely upper. Replacing the arms would most likely be the solution but it's hard to say without inspecting the car. Also I would suggest setting that left rear toe over to 0.15 to improve your rolling resistance even though it's technically in spec.

• Informative
Reactions: Gtech
I just replaced the upper control arm about 20k miles ago...the alignment was in spec then...

after 20k ...it shifted that much...one of the poster above mentioned that .5 degree is not too bad

I could get front camber kit if someone sell it

• Informative
Reactions: Gtech
I called my local Firestone who I used to use for years for lifetime alignment and other services. Here is what they told me:
  1. Alignment system is not updated for 2021 models yet.
  2. Even if the alignment system were updated, they can't align Tesla's due to all the sensors for lane keep assist and others that have to be reset after the alignment.
Any truth to this? Tesla quoted me $302 for an alignment :rolleyes:

Your bushings in your front control arms are likely shot. Most likely upper. Replacing the arms would most likely be the solution but it's hard to say without inspecting the car. Also I would suggest setting that left rear toe over to 0.15 to improve your rolling resistance even though it's technically in spec.
What a visual sign I should look for on the bushing? Took the wheel off...it is not torn up or anything.
Any recommendations for better aftermarket control arm?

can I just replaced the bushings?

What a visual sign I should look for on the bushing? Took the wheel off...it is not torn up or anything.
Any recommendations for better aftermarket control arm?

can I just replaced the bushings?
Sorry for the delay. I don't check the forums that often. So you want to look for any obvious damage along with any excessive play coming from the bushing. So you'll need to provide some movement in the suspension to check for this play.

I don't have any suggestions on front aftermarket control arms. I know they're out there, I just don't have any experience with them. We only manufacture rear control arms and lowering links at the moment.

Regarding the bushings, generally you'll need to purchase the entire control arm which will come with the bushings already pressed inside it.

Any other questions, please let me know.

I hate to say it, but Firestone from my knowledge is a toe and go shop. Half the time, the techs don't even know how to adjust camber caster correctly. Not the best place to get a Model S diagnosed or inspected. I would take it to a reputable shop to get inspected to make sure the suspension is in good shape. Also, take a look at the camber acentric bolt on the right side to see if it is truly maxed out.