Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alignment no longer part of Annual Service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess this is another benefit for getting the prepaid service package :) At $450 per service and including alignment makes it a reasonable cost.

Actually no. Paying for annual service gives you the same service. When tesla tries to change that, they will open themselves up to a major consumer complaint and will be lambasted in media once again.

Last edited:
Not any more, clearly.

Not too clear. No distinction between prepaid and annual payment.

Annual and recall service

Tesla recommends that you bring your Model S to a service center for an inspection every year or 12,500 miles, whichever comes first.

Unlike gasoline cars, Model S requires no oil changes, fuel filter or spark plug replacements, or smog checks. As an electric car, even brake pad replacements are rare because most braking energy is regeneratively captured by the motor and returned to the battery. Our inspection instead focuses on tire condition and alignment, replacement parts like windshield wiper blades, and upgrades to Model S software.

To schedule an annual inspection, contact your nearest service center for an appointment. Where possible, we will make a loaner Model S available to you while your car is being serviced.

Each annual inspection is $600. For the best economy, prepay for annual inspections by purchasing a service plan online through your My Tesla account. Read Elon’s blog post about Tesla’s service and warranty program for more information.

Annual maintenance is recommended to ensure that your Model S is always in the best condition but even if you never bring it in, your warranty is still valid.

Click here to check if your car is affected by a recall.

Not too clear. No distinction between prepaid and annual payment.

Annual and recall service

Tesla recommends that you bring your Model S to a service center for an inspection every year or 12,500 miles, whichever comes first.

Unlike gasoline cars, Model S requires no oil changes, fuel filter or spark plug replacements, or smog checks. As an electric car, even brake pad replacements are rare because most braking energy is regeneratively captured by the motor and returned to the battery. Our inspection instead focuses on tire condition and alignment, replacement parts like windshield wiper blades, and upgrades to Model S software.

To schedule an annual inspection, contact your nearest service center for an appointment. Where possible, we will make a loaner Model S available to you while your car is being serviced.

Each annual inspection is $600. For the best economy, prepay for annual inspections by purchasing a service plan online through your My Tesla account. Read Elon’s blog post about Tesla’s service and warranty program for more information.

Annual maintenance is recommended to ensure that your Model S is always in the best condition but even if you never bring it in, your warranty is still valid.

Click here to check if your car is affected by a recall.

The distinction Tesla is making is with the alignment. It was previously included with the $600 pay-at-the-door service, but is no longer included. That is the difference. With pre-paid service, alignment is included at $475 per visit. If you don't pre-pay, then the same service (with alignment) costs $750 now, $600 without alignment. The web site has not yet been updated in the needed areas to reflect the latest policy change.

- - - Updated - - -

...you mean until the fix the wording to remove it.

I was told by my service manager that pre-paid service includes alignment. I cannot speak to what Tesla may or may not do in the future. I was told the purpose of this change in policy is to get more people to buy the annual service.

No longer the case. Pre-paid includes alignment, pay-at-the-door does not unless you pay an additional $150.

I would give them such crap if they tell me that. Plus I think if enough people complain they'll revert. Elon himself said $600 was too expensive for their yearly service and they were looking to reduce it. I bet he would be pretty pissed if he hears that they want to charge us more for stuff.

So we now pay $600/yr for a set of wiper blades, and new batteries for the keyfobs? Sorry, I thought that $600 was an extreme rip off before, it's just gotten worse.

Tesla is becoming EXTREMELY customer hostile, refusing to sell parts to anyone, refusing to give repair info to anyone, charging way more than anyone else would for simple tasks, threatening people with legal action for sharing what little repair information they can glean... It's too bad nobody else makes a decent car, because if Tesla had actual competition there's no way anyone would willingly deal with this company.

Funny thing about the wiper blades. When I showed up for the 2nd annual service on Tuesday at the service center, I mentioned that I'd had windshield-smear problems with the replacement blades from the 1st annual service and could they please be sure to replace 'em etc and was told, oh wiper blades are no longer part of the annual service and I'm like, what? Wiper blades == the annual service, just ask any owner :) That issue got settled quickly, needless to say.

One of the reasons I got the prepaid service was the uncertainty of a price increase. Tesla effectively increased the price of pay-as-you-go annual service by $150 if the alignment is no longer included.
This same uncertainty applied to the extended warranty..those that bought it when they bought the car locked in the price. For others, that price could go up if they waited until they hit the 50k mile mark.

Someone just posted over at TM Forums that they were informed of a new policy by their local service center. Per that person's service center, annual service is still $600 but alignments are an additional $149. Alignments are no longer included. I am posting here to see if anyone else can corroborate this. This sounds crazy??

Doesnt sound right. Glad I bought the 8 year service contract so I can hold them to it. A la carte doesn't have much leverage over this.

So we now pay $600/yr for a set of wiper blades, and new batteries for the keyfobs? Sorry, I thought that $600 was an extreme rip off before, it's just gotten worse.

Tesla is becoming EXTREMELY customer hostile, refusing to sell parts to anyone, refusing to give repair info to anyone, charging way more than anyone else would for simple tasks, threatening people with legal action for sharing what little repair information they can glean... It's too bad nobody else makes a decent car, because if Tesla had actual competition there's no way anyone would willingly deal with this company.

So I presume you think the service centers time is worth nothing then? Ever owned a Mercedes or BMW and needed service? Before they started "throwing it in" (built into the price of the car now...) $600 was chump change...

Jeff

So I presume you think the service centers time is worth nothing then? Ever owned a Mercedes or BMW and needed service? Before they started "throwing it in" (built into the price of the car now...) $600 was chump change...

Jeff
Sure I owned a Benz, it cost much less than $600 for an annual service. And that was with a high maintenance ICE under the hood, how much time do you think it should take a service centre to replace the key fob batteries and the wiper blades, and maybe a cabin air filter?

Sure I owned a Benz, it cost much less than $600 for an annual service. And that was with a high maintenance ICE under the hood, how much time do you think it should take a service centre to replace the key fob batteries and the wiper blades, and maybe a cabin air filter?

Don't forget they also re-torque the suspension!

Jeff

Um. I disagree. Our Mercedes needs service annually or every 12K miles. Some of the annual services are minor and cost us less than $200 at the Mercedes dealer. This is to maintain a vastly complicated V8 engine and all the associated moving parts. About every 6 years we have a major service that costs about $800 but that requires quite a bit of work.

The $600 service charge for minor services where they change no fluids IMHO is absurd. An EV is supposed to cost less to maintain, not more.