Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alignment no longer part of Annual Service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have to say, as a seriously-considering-it potential new owner, I'm disspirited by these kinds of changes. Kind of wavering on my excitement for the Tesla based on a bunch of little things I've been reading like this and the center console debacle...

Depends what kind of mindset you are coming to the car with. If you want a 100% functional car 100% of the time, then Tesla of 2015 is not for you. If you're willing to have a few minor potential issues, which the SC will go out of their way to solve, and you want an awesome car, then this car is for you. I've had mine for a month, and yes, I've had a few annoyances, but I would 100% do it again.

What's even stranger is that the $600 annual service DOES include an "alignment check", according to my local service manager. They still go through all of the trouble to put the car on an alignment bench to "check" it. Makes no sense to me, but I'm just a Realtor... lol

What's even stranger is that the $600 annual service DOES include an "alignment check", according to my local service manager. They still go through all of the trouble to put the car on an alignment bench to "check" it. Makes no sense to me, but I'm just a Realtor... lol

Almost all of the labor is getting it on the rack and getting the alignment system installed. After that, it's trivial to adjust toe especially if toe (front and rear ) are all that can be adjusted which is usually the case sedans.

Have to say, as a seriously-considering-it potential new owner, I'm disspirited by these kinds of changes. Kind of wavering on my excitement for the Tesla based on a bunch of little things I've been reading like this and the center console debacle...

Center console debacle? If you're wavering because of something to do with the center console, then perhaps this car is not for you. People buy this car because it's a long range battery EV. Instant torque, fun to drive. No engine, no oil, no gasoline, no transmission, no muffler, no catalytic converter, etc. And no dealers. Besides, people bought the car for two years without a center console, and most don't get that option now that one is available. The open space is part of the minimalist design and you can put what you want there.

This whole thing might be almost moot until the fix the DU failure issue. In tesla forum, there's a thread discussing DU replacement. Some are already on their third DU replacment. Since a free alignment is done each time the DU is replaced, that may be enough for most.

So we now pay $600/yr for a set of wiper blades, and new batteries for the keyfobs? Sorry, I thought that $600 was an extreme rip off before, it's just gotten worse.

Tesla is becoming EXTREMELY customer hostile, refusing to sell parts to anyone, refusing to give repair info to anyone, charging way more than anyone else would for simple tasks, threatening people with legal action for sharing what little repair information they can glean... It's too bad nobody else makes a decent car, because if Tesla had actual competition there's no way anyone would willingly deal with this company.

What do you mean refusing to give repair information? The entire factory service manual is online and you can pay to use it by subscription for personal use:

Welcome | Tesla Service

I've heard reports of Tesla refusing to sell certain parts, but I'm skeptical that this is most parts. In most states, various right to repair laws prohibit manufactures from making parts unavailable to individuals wishing to repair their own vehicle. In some states, manufacturers must make available specialized diagnostic tools if they are required for such repairs if they are not available through third party sources. If Tesla is really doing this, they are treading on very thin legal ice. I have a hard time believing it.

When MSs start getting out of warranty, if this is really an issue it will become far more public at that point. I hope it's not true.

What do you mean refusing to give repair information? The entire factory service manual is online and you can pay to use it by subscription for personal use:

Welcome | Tesla Service

I've heard reports of Tesla refusing to sell certain parts, but I'm skeptical that this is most parts. In most states, various right to repair laws prohibit manufactures from making parts unavailable to individuals wishing to repair their own vehicle. In some states, manufacturers must make available specialized diagnostic tools if they are required for such repairs if they are not available through third party sources. If Tesla is really doing this, they are treading on very thin legal ice. I have a hard time believing it.

When MSs start getting out of warranty, if this is really an issue it will become far more public at that point. I hope it's not true.

Have you actually tried to order a subscription to the service manual? You have to live in MA, otherwise no soup for you.

So I presume you think the service centers time is worth nothing then? Ever owned a Mercedes or BMW and needed service? Before they started "throwing it in" (built into the price of the car now...) $600 was chump change...

Jeff

I've got a BMW now, the annual maintenance was $600 less than a Tesla's (yeah its totally free) for the first 4 years. After that I get the it done for like $100 at an indy shop.

And the service manual is only available if you live in MA, and thats because the law forces Tesla to make it available there.

The marketing dept and Elon's "less maintenance than a ICE" is just marketing nonsense, right now its far more expensive to maintain a Tesla than a BMW/MB/Audi.

Reactions: M0DEL³ and GJ79
Not to mention that most of the repair manual is said to refer to diagnostic tools they won't release.

That site exists for only one reason, to try to avoid a lawsuit under MA right to repair laws. If there was any other reason it would be available world wide, and contain links to the necessary software to do the work.

Reactions: M0DEL³
This whole thing might be almost moot until the fix the DU failure issue. In tesla forum, there's a thread discussing DU replacement. Some are already on their third DU replacment. Since a free alignment is done each time the DU is replaced, that may be enough for most.
I just checked my service records from when my DU was replaced, NO mention of alignment work done & this is the first time I have heard of this.

I just checked my service records from when my DU was replaced, NO mention of alignment work done & this is the first time I have heard of this.

An alignment is REQUIRED when a drive unit is replaced and therefore part of the drive unit replacement. It MUST be done because the entire suspension units are pulled out and reinstalled. It would be a a safety hazard NOT to do an alignment when a drive unit is replaced. That's how it was explained to be when I had my drive unit replaced.

An alignment is REQUIRED when a drive unit is replaced and therefore part of the drive unit replacement. It MUST be done because the entire suspension units are pulled out and reinstalled. It would be a a safety hazard NOT to do an alignment when a drive unit is replaced. That's how it was explained to be when I had my drive unit replaced.
Would the alignment be listed on the Service order\Invoice when the DU was replaced? Its not on mine!

Would the alignment be listed on the Service order\Invoice when the DU was replaced? Its not on mine!

I had my drive unit replaced. The work order did NOT mention an alignment was done. They stated it was done, but my energy usage shot up from 290wh/hr to over 380hw/hr. I complained to them that was NOT done as the car did not track straight. They put it on the rack and it was ALL WHACKED! Either a retard did it incorrectly, or he lied and said they did it. After the alignment, my energy usage dropped very close to normal and the car tracked straight. Don't ever trust a service advisor. They're almost like salesman. Just my opinion.

Just so happens my car was in for service AGAIN today so when I picked it up I asked why alignment wasn't listed on the work order...I was told "it should have been", then they checked "their" computer & still no alignment listed, turns out they keep a detailed record hard copy of services performed off site & will search my records "& get back to me".

Noticed another discrepancy, several times when in for service my car has not received the latest firmware but my service order states "- Checked firmware version: Updated to latest version x.x " I went in with .239 & knew form the firmware tracker that .249 & .250 were available, so before even checking my car I asked what version does this SC have & what should my car have either installed or preloaded waiting to be installed & was told .250, we walk out to my car & sure enough I am still on .239. Not a huge deal but do I really need to check & verify EVERYTHING?

Maybe one day they will notice my car is Red & change the color from Grey & actually put in my license plate info in the contact header box on the service order...its only been 2 years.

Really bummed to see the direction the Tesla service saga is taking. I'm from the camp that does not believe in being locked into 4 (or 8) prepaid service visits in a fixed 4/8 year timeframe (yeah, there's now leeway in timing the visits but, it's still timeboxed overall).

I'm planning on taking the car in roughly only once every other year given the fluid replacements at that time; an alignment then is a no-brainer.

So much for service not being a profit center. Warranty repairs are what they are: Tesla excels at providing great, free-of-course, service on that front (atleast while the car is under warranty). But, the rest - tires, wheel alignment, etc. - is quickly leaving a bad taste in the mouth.

Would someone attending TMC Connect please be kind enough to pose a question about service costs to Ricardo Reyes fwiw?!

I'm planning on taking the car in roughly only once every other year
That's exactly what I did. I was 1 month short of 2 years when I brought it it this week. I saw no need to bring it in earlier. Heck, I didn't even run out of washer fluid in that time!

Would someone attending TMC Connect please be kind enough to pose a question about service costs to Ricardo Reyes fwiw?!
^^^^^ Yes, please. Good idea.

Center console debacle? If you're wavering because of something to do with the center console, then perhaps this car is not for you. People buy this car because it's a long range battery EV. Instant torque, fun to drive. No engine, no oil, no gasoline, no transmission, no muffler, no catalytic converter, etc. And no dealers. Besides, people bought the car for two years without a center console, and most don't get that option now that one is available. The open space is part of the minimalist design and you can put what you want there.

Don't pick a specific point in my post and attack it with reductio ad absurdum.

I'm speaking about a pattern of behavior by Tesla that, if it's indicative of a trend, is troubling to a potential owner (and should be troubling to existing owners as well).

The old "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" belittlement is beneath all of us here (or should be).