Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alignment no longer part of Annual Service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to mention that most of the repair manual is said to refer to diagnostic tools they won't release.

That site exists for only one reason, to try to avoid a lawsuit under MA right to repair laws. If there was any other reason it would be available world wide, and contain links to the necessary software to do the work.

Wonder if this proposed NY legislation will push the issue any further - not specifically aimed at CARS, but MS is more "electronic device" than it is "Car" anyway:

New York: It's time to speak out for your right to repair

Depends what kind of mindset you are coming to the car with. If you want a 100% functional car 100% of the time, then Tesla of 2015 is not for you. If you're willing to have a few minor potential issues, which the SC will go out of their way to solve, and you want an awesome car, then this car is for you. I've had mine for a month, and yes, I've had a few annoyances, but I would 100% do it again.

If what you say is true, then I'd have no problem with it. What I'm concerned about is the possibility that these things I mentioned are signs that Tesla is moving away from a default position where "the SC will go out of their way to solve" to "if the customer really bitches about it, then we'll fix it (in most cases)" (or, in the case of the center console, "sorry, dude -- sucks to be you").

I had thought they were the former, and felt pretty good about ownership, but I'm starting to worry that recent trends may be signaling a trend toward the latter. Obviously, that'd be penny wise and pound foolish in an upstart like Tesla if they ever want to break out of the niche position they're in (and given that they are not yet cash-positive, they need to want that).

- - - Updated - - -

Really bummed to see the direction the Tesla service saga is taking. I'm from the camp that does not believe in being locked into 4 (or 8) prepaid service visits in a fixed 4/8 year timeframe (yeah, there's now leeway in timing the visits but, it's still timeboxed overall).

I'm also concerned (as I posted).

However, I was intrigued by your comment that the prepaid service has flexibility. I'm a relatively high mileage driver (long commute), and as such do about 25K miles per year. I liked the cost savings of the prepaid plan, but having to do one every 6 months really shot the value in the head.

The sales rep said I should just do one a year, but the prepaid seems to indicate 12.5K miles or 12 months, whichever is sooner, as a requirement);. Is there actual documented flexibility as to when you use the prepaid plan's visits? One per year seems reasonable to me, but every 6 months seems way overkill.

If what you say is true, then I'd have no problem with it. What I'm concerned about is the possibility that these things I mentioned are signs that Tesla is moving away from a default position where "the SC will go out of their way to solve" to "if the customer really bitches about it, then we'll fix it (in most cases)" (or, in the case of the center console, "sorry, dude -- sucks to be you").

I had thought they were the former, and felt pretty good about ownership, but I'm starting to worry that recent trends may be signaling a trend toward the latter. Obviously, that'd be penny wise and pound foolish in an upstart like Tesla if they ever want to break out of the niche position they're in (and given that they are not yet cash-positive, they need to want that).

- - - Updated - - -

I'm also concerned (as I posted).

However, I was intrigued by your comment that the prepaid service has flexibility. I'm a relatively high mileage driver (long commute), and as such do about 25K miles per year. I liked the cost savings of the prepaid plan, but having to do one every 6 months really shot the value in the head.

The sales rep said I should just do one a year, but the prepaid seems to indicate 12.5K miles or 12 months, whichever is sooner, as a requirement);. Is there actual documented flexibility as to when you use the prepaid plan's visits? One per year seems reasonable to me, but every 6 months seems way overkill.

I was told that I could bring in the car anytime for an "annual visit". If I prepaid for 4 of them, then I could use those visits once a year (which I did on my first one, and had 44000km in one year). Or I could bring it in at 18 months, or 22months, etc.
I 'll try to find the link for the written documentation of it.

I was told that I could bring in the car anytime for an "annual visit". If I prepaid for 4 of them, then I could use those visits once a year (which I did on my first one, and had 44000km in one year). Or I could bring it in at 18 months, or 22months, etc.

There was an FAQ somewhere online about this, I believe.

To be clear though, the kicker here is that all 4 service "coupons" ought to be used up in 4 years flat although you have flexibility within that period for each of the visits.

That would change my mind on that completely. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

To be clear though, the kicker here is that all 4 service "coupons" ought to be used up in 4 years flat although you have flexibility within that period for each of the visits.

4 in 4 years I can live with (though many on this board consider even that to be overkill). I will see if I can find that in an official FAQ on Tesla's site. (A link is always welcome as well.)

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, there's the rub. 4 years or 50K miles.

So at 25K per year, even if I only use 1 per year, it'll last me only 2 years. Which is odd to me because you're just paying for the service visits, but what it really does is tie you in the exact same way (12.5K miles per year = 4 years, but anything higher shrinks the time horizon).

Ah, there's the rub. 4 years or 50K miles.

So at 25K per year, even if I only use 1 per year, it'll last me only 2 years. Which is odd to me because you're just paying for the service visits, but what it really does is tie you in the exact same way (12.5K miles per year = 4 years, but anything higher shrinks the time horizon).

I was told once a year is fine, regardless of mileage (I'm about 20k miles per year). So 8 visits in 8 years for me, since I paid for the 8 year plan.

Just so happens my car was in for service AGAIN today so when I picked it up I asked why alignment wasn't listed on the work order...I was told "it should have been", then they checked "their" computer & still no alignment listed, turns out they keep a detailed record hard copy of services performed off site & will search my records "& get back to me".

Noticed another discrepancy, several times when in for service my car has not received the latest firmware but my service order states "- Checked firmware version: Updated to latest version x.x " I went in with .239 & knew form the firmware tracker that .249 & .250 were available, so before even checking my car I asked what version does this SC have & what should my car have either installed or preloaded waiting to be installed & was told .250, we walk out to my car & sure enough I am still on .239. Not a huge deal but do I really need to check & verify EVERYTHING?

Maybe one day they will notice my car is Red & change the color from Grey & actually put in my license plate info in the contact header box on the service order...its only been 2 years.

Sounds like someone needs to get fired.

- - - Updated - - -

I have an email from Jerome Guillen that states the owners can essentially do whatever they wish. You don't need to use the 4 services in 4 years, you can use each service every two years if you want. Here it is:

Dear Mr. [AmpedRealtor]:

Any customer who has paid for a 4-year service plan is entitled to 4 “annual service” visits. The customer can elect to bring the car whenever they desire: we recommend every year or every 12,500 miles (whichever comes first), but the customer are free to do whatever they essentially desire. They can bring the car every 18 months or every 6 months. In the end, they will receive the 4 “annual service” they have paid for. I hope this clarifies the situation.

Many thanks for your continued support. Best regards,

Jerome Guillen | VP, WW sales and service

I was told once a year is fine, regardless of mileage (I'm about 20k miles per year). So 8 visits in 8 years for me, since I paid for the 8 year plan.

That would have been enough for me given what I had read about Tesla if I hadn't started following this whole alignment issue where the "understanding" (in this case, written rather than verbal) was changed over time.

I'd hate to pre-buy 4 or 8 visits and then they start enforcing the mileage limit and I'm paying more per visit (effectively) than if I had not prepaid.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like someone needs to get fired.

- - - Updated - - -

I have an email from Jerome Guillen that states the owners can essentially do whatever they wish. You don't need to use the 4 services in 4 years, you can use each service every two years if you want. Here it is:

Dear Mr. [AmpedRealtor]:

Any customer who has paid for a 4-year service plan is entitled to 4 “annual service” visits. The customer can elect to bring the car whenever they desire: we recommend every year or every 12,500 miles (whichever comes first), but the customer are free to do whatever they essentially desire. They can bring the car every 18 months or every 6 months. In the end, they will receive the 4 “annual service” they have paid for. I hope this clarifies the situation.

Many thanks for your continued support. Best regards,

Jerome Guillen | VP, WW sales and service

Now *this*, on the other hand, does deliver some peace of mind. Thanks Amped!

You have it in writing or you were just told that ??
I never bothered Jerome by requesting written confirmation, but for two years there has been no issue. Beside the two or three emails that Jerome has sent out to TMC members, Elon has stated that in both tweets and shareholders' meetings (they are somewhere on TMC and I'd look them up if the search engine was better). My opinion is that if some one is out to take advantage of you, words on paper aren't going to help because there will always be a way to weasel out of it. Going in once a year seems about right.

Tesla is becoming EXTREMELY customer hostile, refusing to sell parts to anyone, refusing to give repair info to anyone, charging way more than anyone else would for simple tasks, threatening people with legal action for sharing what little repair information they can glean... It's too bad nobody else makes a decent car, because if Tesla had actual competition there's no way anyone would willingly deal with this company.

Yep.

I warned about Tesla's abominable record of customer mistreatment back in 2012 and people like bonnie claimed I was totally wrong. I'm kind of gloating to be proven right, although I'm actually rather disappointed that they haven't fixed this BS.

It still looks like some people at high levels, such as Jerome, and others at low levels in the Service Centers, such as some of the managers I've met, want to do the right thing. But it's just one thing after another, so some people somewhere in Tesla are clearly pushing the other way, to do the wrong thing. Perhaps it's because Tesla's in a perpetual cash crunch, but it's appalling -- the company is really developing a nasty reputation for bait-and-switching. And it's so *pointless*. Just do the right thing, it doesn't cost *that* much.

FWIW, the 4 year service agreement, even as of today, clearly says that it includes wheel alignment and wheel rotation included with your annual service.
That is a written contract and agreement that you paid for. Tesla cannot say "no" to that.

Tesla is becoming EXTREMELY customer hostile... It's too bad nobody else makes a decent car, because if Tesla had actual competition there's no way anyone would willingly deal with this company.

How can you speak for everyone else? We both deal with the Vancouver Service Centre and all of my experiences have been really good without any hostility at all. Calling them "EXTREMELY customer hostile" sure seems over the top to me.

Yep.

I warned about Tesla's abominable record of customer mistreatment back in 2012 and people like bonnie claimed I was totally wrong. I'm kind of gloating to be proven right, although I'm actually rather disappointed that they haven't fixed this BS.

It still looks like some people at high levels, such as Jerome, and others at low levels in the Service Centers, such as some of the managers I've met, want to do the right thing. But it's just one thing after another, so some people somewhere in Tesla are clearly pushing the other way, to do the wrong thing. Perhaps it's because Tesla's in a perpetual cash crunch, but it's appalling -- the company is really developing a nasty reputation for bait-and-switching. And it's so *pointless*. Just do the right thing, it doesn't cost *that* much.

You certainly have been an unhappy with everything related to your dealings with Tesla (software license issue, the car, service) from day one it seems. I've had the complete opposite service experience at now 5 different service centers dating back to 2010. Not saying the company doesn't have issues but getting the car serviced hasn't been an issue for me at least so far.

FWIW, the 4 year service agreement, even as of today, clearly says that it includes wheel alignment and wheel rotation included with your annual service.
That is a written contract and agreement that you paid for. Tesla cannot say "no" to that.

Yes, except that as stated above, TM reserves the right to change what's included in the pre-pain annual service. Not that they would (they aren't), but the same contract says they can.

the company is really developing a nasty reputation for bait-and-switching. And it's so *pointless*. Just do the right thing, it doesn't cost *that* much.

To be fair, decoupling alignment from annual service at an additional cost of $150 is, in effect, nothing more than a price increase to $750 for the same service items that were previously included for $600. This is NOT bait-and-switch. It's just a price increase to those who did not purchase the pre-paid plan.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, except that as stated above, TM reserves the right to change what's included in the pre-pain annual service. Not that they would (they aren't), but the same contract says they can.

I doubt very much they would ever do such a thing.