Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alignment??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had the tsb where they fix the “death rattle” by replacing the half shafts and Clevis mounts?

wouldn’t doing something like this potentially out the front out of alignment? I read through the tsb and no where does it say an alignment should be performed.

here’s my issue. I mounted my winter tyres on OEM Tesla wheels and when the car was in reverse they rubbed. Tesla said it was because I wasn’t using oem tyres. Ok.

so today I put my summers back on Michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ which my car CAME WITH (tho these are brand new) and they’re rubbing. I also mouthed them back onto the wheels that came on my car which are OEM cyclones.

I don’t mind paying for an alignment. But if this is something that should have been done then I’m a little upset.

Reactions: DCEV
If the wheels are far enough out of alignment that they rub, then I suspect something much bigger is the problem.

When you place it in reverse, what are they rubbing against???

they rub against the front liner. And only in reverse when the wheel is cranked.

it was 100% fine until I put my winters on and that’s when it started. It just so happens I had the death rattle fixed the following day after the winters were put on and noticed it after. The tech said it wasn’t a major issue and was likely just the tires being a little bigger since they were oem tires and it was only happening at slow speeds and only in reverse.

I assumed when I put the tires it came with on that it would stop. I did reset the wheels back to cyclone in the car and it is better (don’t know why...I thought it was just an avatar thing) but it’s still a little there. There are a few threads on here with this issue. Some were alignment issues. And some never came back and reported what Tesla did to fix it.

I don’t want to toss $ into the wind and it’s a “noise” so Tesla will charge me to look at it.

I'd take a look and see if they actually are touching the liner when cranked all the way (is it both directions?). It may be as simple as a liner has become unsnapped and just needs to be reattached. Since it is only in reverse, it's probably the back of the wheel well, as that's the part that is being rubbed in the wrong direction in reverse.

Random, sort of related, question: how much does Tesla charge for an alignment job? Is this consistent across all service centers?
Also, is it advisable to go to Tesla with this or any better shop should be able to do it?

Nothing major, just that I sometimes feel that my S has a very slight pull to the right. I'd like to have them do a proper alignment but I'm also a bit worried they may break/mess up something while doing that.

Last edited:
they rub against the front liner. And only in reverse when the wheel is cranked.

it was 100% fine until I put my winters on and that’s when it started. It just so happens I had the death rattle fixed the following day after the winters were put on and noticed it after. The tech said it wasn’t a major issue and was likely just the tires being a little bigger since they were oem tires and it was only happening at slow speeds and only in reverse.

I assumed when I put the tires it came with on that it would stop. I did reset the wheels back to cyclone in the car and it is better (don’t know why...I thought it was just an avatar thing) but it’s still a little there. There are a few threads on here with this issue. Some were alignment issues. And some never came back and reported what Tesla did to fix it.

I don’t want to toss $ into the wind and it’s a “noise” so Tesla will charge me to look at it.
If you did not have the issue prior to the tsb fix then the tsb work caused it. Tesla is responsible to correct their poor workmanship that caused the suspension to be out of tolerance. The non oem tires are not the cause as you discovered when the stock tires went back on.

I'd take a look and see if they actually are touching the liner when cranked all the way (is it both directions?). It may be as simple as a liner has become unsnapped and just needs to be reattached. Since it is only in reverse, it's probably the back of the wheel well, as that's the part that is being rubbed in the wrong direction in reverse.

Hopefully this is it. Would they have removed the liner to do the work they did?

I don't think the car should need an alignment after the work. There is nothing called out by the TSB that indicates an alignment is needed. Here is the TSB:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162295-9999.pdf

Just because someone disconnected suspension pieces doesn't mean the car automatically needs an alignment. An alignment would be needed if any of the eccentric bolts were moved, a tie rod was adjusted, or in some cases, if the ride height is adjusted. I suspect it's just an issue with the liner coming loose.

You don't have to use the word "noise" in your appointment. You can simply say a wheel is rubbing on the liner. You may be able to point it out with a picture if there is sufficient wear.

I think some of the issue surrounding "noise" troubleshooting and Tesla starting to charge for it is chasing rattles. Rattles are just part and parcel of wear and tear; they don't always indicate that something has failed. Some people have abused their warranty for rattles and now Tesla is on the defensive, to the detriment of people experiencing rattles from failed components.

I had the same rubbing noise on full lock in reverse. I had alignment checked. All ok.
Tesla did something that lifted the front fender and that solved it for summer tires.

But when I put winter tires back on in November the rub is there again on full lock again in reverse.

So no resolution I know of for this oddity as the alignment is all within specifications.

Has anyone had the tsb where they fix the “death rattle” by replacing the half shafts and Clevis mounts?

wouldn’t doing something like this potentially out the front out of alignment? I read through the tsb and no where does it say an alignment should be performed.

here’s my issue. I mounted my winter tyres on OEM Tesla wheels and when the car was in reverse they rubbed. Tesla said it was because I wasn’t using oem tyres. Ok.

so today I put my summers back on Michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ which my car CAME WITH (tho these are brand new) and they’re rubbing. I also mouthed them back onto the wheels that came on my car which are OEM cyclones.

I don’t mind paying for an alignment. But if this is something that should have been done then I’m a little upset.

This is a really good question. I have the exact same thing done but the alignment wasn't mentioned and I really hope that was done.