Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alive and married bc a Model X saved my life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if the owner of the X who put it up on Turo is a TMC member?

He isn't but I have told him about these threads. He's aware just not interested.

How did the car's owner take it when you notified him?

Thanks for posting the wedding pic: you make a very nice looking couple! May you have many happy and healthy years together.

The owner was shocked, but also totally understanding. "Accidents do happen" we both have great insurance coverage, So no real large concerns.

The owner was on a lease with Tesla. In this case, insurance should be getting him a brand new one. Or getting him his money that was invested thus far with it.

Side note: These people who comment on the ELECTREK site are vicious! LOL I'm laughing at their comments because they absolutely have no idea! Some comments say the cars hit a tree of that of the like? It appalls me! Oh the interwebs.

He isn't but I have told him about these threads. He's aware just not interested.

The owner was shocked, but also totally understanding. "Accidents do happen" we both have great insurance coverage, So no real large concerns.

The owner was on a lease with Tesla. In this case, insurance should be getting him a brand new one. Or getting him his money that was invested thus far with it.

Side note: These people who comment on the ELECTREK site are vicious! LOL I'm laughing at their comments because they absolutely have no idea! Some comments say the cars hit a tree of that of the like? It appalls me! Oh the interwebs.
I can attest first hand that Through pays out full price when damage is done as I've had damage when leaving my S at SFO.

Probably the Electrek comments are not moderated, or minimally so.

TMC has multiple moderators who care to take the time to keep these forums civil. If TMC was not moderated, it would be a mess just like every other unmoderated online forum I have ever seen.

When people are isolated from the consequences of their actions, some of them act like vicious idiots.

Does anyone else doubt that the impact was at 65 MPH from the damage to both cars? There is nothing about that which looks to me like the sedan hit the X at 65 MPH. I've been in a few sub-20 MPH collisions with that much damage.

Thrilled everyone is OK!

I would have thought the impact was more like 40 mph, but the damage doesn't look like the driver of the sedan was braking hard, that would have more damage to the hood and less to the lower structure as the nose of the car would have been almost on the ground.

With the discussion of impact safety, the US has required door reinforcement for at least 30 years. I got T-boned in my Buick once and the left rear door essentially wrapped itself around the reinforcing bars inside the door. The damage to the rest of the car was minimal, and the other car was totaled. I got a door and fender off a wreck, the body shop mated it to the car, and I drove it for nearly 20 years after that. I even managed to save most of the hardware from inside the old door.

There are anti-Tesla trolls who have to comment on every Tesla related story that show up on their site of choice. I've seen them on other car sites.

Tesla seems to generate a lot of strong emotions in people, some good, some not so good. There are also some reactionaries to the entire EV world/environmental movement who take diesel pickups and deliberately try to make them dirtier.

I'm really glad you survived and made it to your wedding. Happy nuptials.

It turns out that the silver car was a stolen vehicle, driven by a young couple hiding from the police. They were in the midst of a police chase, already having been pursued for several miles,

If someone in my family dies because of a police chase, the culprit better have just committed a murder rather than having stolen a vehicle. Chasing vehicles at high speeds for several miles is idiotic unless the culprit is armed and dangerous. So many people have been severely injured or lost lives because of these types of chases. Then when the culprit is caught, they are usually out within a few years, if that, while families never get over the loss of a loved one.

A tactical response to fleeing vehicles is required -- not wild west car chases.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I'm really glad you survived and made it to your wedding. Happy nuptials.

If someone in my family dies because of a police chase, the culprit better have just committed a murder rather than having stolen a vehicle. Chasing vehicles at high speeds for several miles is idiotic unless the culprit is armed and dangerous. So many people have been severely injured or lost lives because of these types of chases. Then when the culprit is caught, they are usually out within a few years, if that, while families never get over the loss of a loved one.

A tactical response to fleeing vehicles is required -- not wild west car chases.

In most places in the US, there is a charge called felony murder. If you are committing some other crime and someone gets killed, you're charged with murder as well as everyone else involved in the crime.

It does have unintended consequences though. The kid of one of my SO's cousins is now doing life because he gave an acquaintance a ride. It was someone he had been in school with and wasn't really a friend, just an acquaintance. The guy came to him one day and asked for a ride downtown, The cousin's kid agreed and he didn't know the acquaintance planned to rob a store and was using the cousin's kid as the unwitting get away driver. Someone got killed in the store and everyone went down for felony murder.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I think what most people dont understand is how far into the turn i was and how it is that the car is faced that direction. It's probably by perception in the pics. I just got some new pics from my brother who heard the accident from across the lot. I hope it clarifies some confusion to the masses.

PS. No we didn't dine at olive garden LOL. cmon I've got more class than that! It was Dennys!
IMG_2010.jpg
IMG_2005.jpg

Glad you're ok.

They clearly hit you dead center on the wheel. You can see the imprint of the wheel in the middle of their car.

But being in such a heavy, wide, low-center-of-gravity vehicle definitely made it a safer accident for you vs. being spun faster or flipped.

I think what most people dont understand is how far into the turn i was and how it is that the car is faced that direction. It's probably by perception in the pics. I just got some new pics from my brother who heard the accident from across the lot. I hope it clarifies some confusion to the masses.

PS. No we didn't dine at olive garden LOL. cmon I've got more class than that! It was Dennys!View attachment 227058 View attachment 227059

I wouldn't be bothered by any of it. Main thing is you survived and made it to your wedding. People says lots of dumb things behind a keyboard when there is repercussion of doing so. Especially ones living with their mom. Getting married and buying Tesla's are not in their immediate future planning.

You have a duty to help the owner out and make sure he is taken care of when you have a chance. :)