Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All 4 Tesla superchargers in DE taken by ICE vehicles.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO it could be much simpler than this. An old-school cordon that needs to be removed manually, would do the job just fine. No keys and no homelink necessary. For one, people are too lazy to get out of their cars before parking. And second, removing the cordon before parking in a space where you must not park, makes the violation much more obvious (to bystanders and to their own conscience).

There is one airport park and ride that does that in Atlanta. Sad thing is that EVs/Volts forget to replace the cones when they leave. Also too lazy.

Whatever it is should be inexpensive, which probably means not buried in the ground. Probably a locking gate that opens with a Tesla key or something.

Perhaps instead of protruding from the ground, a bar can protrude from the pedestal, enough that someone would scratch their car if they tried to park there.

What does the signage actually say at the Supercharger parking spaces?

2013-03-15 20.47.52.jpg

the flaw in the placement of the SC in Newark DE is that the SC parking spots are the closest to the entrance of the facility.
People are inherently lazy and think that since they only plan on being inside for a few moments that it is ok to park illegally in the SC spots.
I think that there are really only 3 options that could correct the problems;
1. police enforcement of the parking regulations, which more than likely will not happen or
2. move the SC spots to a less desirable location within the service area, which would be costly and also unlikely to happen.
3. the last option would be that since there are only 4 chargers here, and I believe the SCs are heavily used, would be to install 4 more chargers in a less desirable to the general public location at the plaza.

the flaw in the placement of the SC in Newark DE is that the SC parking spots are the closest to the entrance of the facility.
People are inherently lazy and think that since they only plan on being inside for a few moments that it is ok to park illegally in the SC spots.
I think that there are really only 3 options that could correct the problems;
1. police enforcement of the parking regulations, which more than likely will not happen or
2. move the SC spots to a less desirable location within the service area, which would be costly and also unlikely to happen.
3. the last option would be that since there are only 4 chargers here, and I believe the SCs are heavily used, would be to install 4 more chargers in a less desirable to the general public location at the plaza.

Another approach that they used in Glenwood is to put orange cones in front of the Supercharger spaces. ICE drivers seem to respect these and MS drivers seem to know that they are allowed to move them.

I had the scurrilous thought that they might get the hint if a tire was deflated when they got back... But I don't think I'd actually do that, because it wouldn't do any good. Getting them towed away would be far better and would free up the spot eventually.

I'd carry some bananas for their tail pipes, or sugar for their gas tanks. They won't know until their long gone...

V C Section 22511 Off-Street Parking: Electric Vehicles

In Los Angeles you can get cited and your car can be towed when ICEing an EV charging spot.

I saw this sign at a Charging station here. I made some prints of it in case I find someone ICEing an EV spot.

This vehicle is illegally parked in an Electric Vehicle Charging Space which is only for use of electric vehicles in the process of charging.

Under California Vehicle Code 22511, this vehicle is subject to citation and towing. Handicapped Placards are not valid in EV charging spaces either.

This is a one time courtesy notice. Any further violation by this vehicle may result in citation and or towing.