TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

All American Car Day

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by meloccom, Jan 3, 2015.

1. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Now that I own a Model S, I was hoping to use it to make people think about clean transport and energy use.
    Sadly the NRMA Motorfest is now a Shannon's event so for classics only.
    I did find the All American Day hosted by the Mustang Owners Club on January 18 at Castle Hill Shopping Centre.
    I thought I would just turn up a little before 10 AM registration and see what reaction I get.
    Am I wasting my time, will I be chased away with pitchforks?

2. oystero

oystero Member

they shouldn't :) the website says "Exclusively for American Built Vehicles"

plus your entry is donated to the children's hospital. Good cause

3. Higgy

Higgy Member

I think it is worthwhile doing just to see the reaction - take plenty of photos.

4. Matta

Matta Member

My dad is involved with that, want me to ask him?

5. meloccom

PM sent

6. TesAus

TesAus Member

Hi Melocomm,

What was the verdict? Are you preparing for pitchforks or high fives?

I may be able to swing by and say hello for half an hour if you are going to be there.

7. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

I am planning to be there.

8. TesAus

TesAus Member

As an exhibit or a spectator?

9. Higgy

Higgy Member

I am thinking of a wax version of David....not sure if this would be an interesting exhibit.

10. TesAus

TesAus Member

I was thinking that the car would be the exhibit......can David claim he was made in America?

11. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Made in South Africa. Same as Elon. Will exhibit.

12. meloccom

Hi all,
    I will be there from about 9:30 AM to exhibit the car and will stay until about 2PM or when my voice stops working from hopefully answering lots of questions. Dborn will be there too but any Additional moral support most welcome. :smile:

13. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Meloccom, myself had our cars on show. Lots of interest. I left early - standing in the burning sun and talking non stop got to me and i also had to be elsewhere. TesAus and one other enthusiast were also there helping out with the talking. Interesting event, large and heaps of people. They put us with the Corvettes.

14. TesAus

TesAus Member

DBorn and Meloccom thanks for putting your cars at the hands of the masses, if I can devote more of my day next time I might join the team by exhibiting my car also.

It was interesting to hear the questions asked by a gathering of car enthusiasts that were used to looking more at classic or muscle ICEs.

I found everyone to be very friendly, some knew a lot about Tesla, some knew of the roadster but hadn't heard about the S, and others were bewildered why there were a couple of "european styled" premium modern cars at the event until they heard that they were made in California! It certainly sparked a fair amount of interest.

The most common question I heard asked was about what happens when the battery needs replacing and most were placated by the 8 year warranty. Closely followed by range and how long to charge.

A number of people thought we were from Tesla itself (I probably didn't help by wearing a Tesla cap and shirt!) and opened up a bit more once they found out we were just enthusiastic owners.

15. meloccom

#15 meloccom, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    Quite a long day, left home just before 9 and found myself behind a LHD Mustang so decided to follow him into the Car Show.
    Eventually I was the last in a line of American cars 2 Hotrods, a low rider, the Mustang then me. I was the only car in the queue with the steering wheel on the right as well. An organiser was waving the cars in front in, then he clapped eyes on my car and he started to wave frantically, crossed arms, so I rolled down my window and he was quick with " you'll have to park that somewhere else" but I explained that this car was made in Freemont California, that seemed enough and he even apologised.
    I followed the other cars to the roof were we were to be allocated our spot, that caused some concern, gathering with the host club the Mustangs was quickly ruled out, but then one said, "stick him with the Corvettes" so I was guided around to where the Corvettes where I spotted 2 spaces next to a guy selling model cars, so that be came the Tesla area.
    I hadn't got out before I was bombarded with questions and a steady steam of people kept us busy the whole day.
    Note to self, next time bring sunscreen and a hat. I managed to grab 5 minutes to rush down and buy some hats for David and I but I'm feeling a bit tender.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    In the end we were well received, the president of the Mustang Owners Club specially came round to thank us for coming and a lot of people found out about Tesla and electric cars in general.
    Thanks to Dborn and tesAus for being there along with our friend in the Tesla Band T-shirt who helped make it a successful day.
    P.S. @Matta Hi mate your parents came round to say hi and I learned of your bad luck. Gutted for you mate but I hope it's fixed soon.

16. lonewolf313

lonewolf313 Member

Thanks to Mark and David who took the time and to show your cars to the general public and Mark for allowing me to sit inside your own car and show other interested people that marvelous 17" touch screen.

Having seen all the youtube Tesla videos by Kmanauto and Bjorn Nyland in and around the car, I love talking to people about the Tesla and hope to one day own one myself.

Regards, Peter

17. meloccom

Just reviving this thread to let people know that the Mustang Club All American Car day will be held again on Sunday January 17, 2016. Its at the same location the Castle Hill Shopping Centre (Roof Car Park).
    http://nsw.mustang.org.au/coming-events
    P.S You need to scroll down to the event after clicking on the link.
    If we get enough interest we can perhaps approach the Mustang club for a better spot this year. :)