Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Bay Area Superchargers full this weekend....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Need to get some expansion quickly.
20170729_160833.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
20170729_160833.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
20170729_160833.jpg

I'm surprised Gilroy is not more full, considering the Garlic Festival is this weekend. Your map doesn't show Seaside but it's full as well.

And does anyone know what's up with Gustine (next to Los Banos on I-5)? The in-car status says "temporary closure." Not good.

Definitely concerned the super chargers are going to be severely overburdened as the Model 3s ramp up. They are building stations, but the rate isn't nearly at the rate of adoption. I don't think the chargers not being free will be a huge factor in reducing use.

Why do so many people in the bay area supercharge? It's not like you're driving over 200 miles per day. Is it because you are all cheap or something? lol

Lots of apartment and condo dwellers. When it costs a $million to buy a small shack, people can afford a Tesla when they can't buy a house, so they don't really have any place to charge at home.

Tesla never should have allowed unlimited supercharging rather they should have allowed a yearly stipend that doesn't roll over to allow folks to take reasonable long trips with free fueling but not to fill up weekly.

Something like 400 kwh per year to use whenever you want for that rare case when you need to charge locally and an additional stipend of unlimited weeks, like say 4 weeks that once you activate one, you can charge as much as you want for that week. Once you've used all that up, you're paying for it.

That would have discourage the sales of Tesla's where folks couldn't charge at home or work on a weekly basis.

They didn't want to discourage sales. They did unlimited supercharging to subsidize early adoption. They probably should have cut it off earlier though. FWIW, the current deal is exactly what you're saying, you get 400 kwH per year and then you pay for it. But with getting a referral code being trivial, and them giving unlimited (tied to the owner, not the car) it's continuing it.

I'm not sure charging would actually dissuade many people though. Unless they make the cost for power approximately the same price as gassing up an ICE, it wouldn't make a huge difference. No one bought a Tesla to save them money. The depreciation alone outweighs the gas savings.

That's good, it means they'll be a huge factor in funding more sites.

Yep, full superchargers is awesome - they've proven the business case for superchargers. If you can have them at high utilization, you can amortize their construction cost. When you prove the business case for something, capital flows :) They just need to do their best at forecasting demand so that construction never lags behind need.

There are many people who use the superchargers instead of charging at home. Several times i've seen people dropped off in other cars to pick up their cars at the fremont and san mateo superchargers. I guess it's worth saving the ~$8-10 for a full charge at home.

The bay area superchargers are usually all full or nearly all full on the weekends anyways right? I didn't think this weekend was anything out of the ordinary.

Lots of apartment and condo dwellers. When it costs a $million to buy a small shack, people can afford a Tesla when they can't buy a house, so they don't really have any place to charge at home.

Tesla never should have allowed unlimited supercharging rather they should have allowed a yearly stipend that doesn't roll over to allow folks to take reasonable long trips with free fueling but not to fill up weekly.

Something like 400 kwh per year to use whenever you want for that rare case when you need to charge locally and an additional stipend of unlimited weeks, like say 4 weeks that once you activate one, you can charge as much as you want for that week. Once you've used all that up, you're paying for it.

That would have discourage the sales of Tesla's where folks couldn't charge at home or work on a weekly basis.

They didn't want to discourage sales. They did unlimited supercharging to subsidize early adoption. They probably should have cut it off earlier though. FWIW, the current deal is exactly what you're saying, you get 400 kwH per year and then you pay for it. But with getting a referral code being trivial, and them giving unlimited (tied to the owner, not the car) it's continuing it.\

This is not what I said. I said they needed to have a fixed stipend you could use at any time(like the 400 kwh) AND a fixed but limited number of weeks that you could activate for long long trips. You'd only activate these when truly driving long distance like thousands of miles in a week through a multi state trip. For those kinds of trips, most of your charging is done at the superchargers between the large cities way out in the middle of nowhere.

This allows folks to travel high mileage trips 3 or 4 times a year and charge some locally when really need(coming out of your 400 kwh balance) but discourages daily/weekly local charging.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Dublin is terrible, it's almost like a social or something. Folks who supercharge there all know each other, like they're neighbors or something. It's one big party. Doubt any of them are charging for long-distance travel. It's more like a club.
We charged there on the way to Napa Sunday. It was the worst of the SCs we used on the trip. Hard to find, took forever to find, I turned onto the on ramp for the 680 instead of into the Tesla parking lot, and then there were no stalls available, and no drivers in most of the parked cars. No place to pee except the bushes in the far corner of the lot.

Does the Dublin Service Center use the SC stalls to park their customer's cars overnight?

Tejon Ranch was the best. We used Gustine twice, Bakersfield once and Napa once.

Last edited:
I'm not sure charging would actually dissuade many people though. Unless they make the cost for power approximately the same price as gassing up an ICE, it wouldn't make a huge difference. No one bought a Tesla to save them money. The depreciation alone outweighs the gas savings.
I bought 2 Model S90Ds to save money. I have solar panels on my roof and I know I will never pay a cent for fuel ever.
My buddy is going to lease a S100D based on the cost. He figures he can afford it, by comparing the gas savings, to the gas car he has now, with his frequent trips from Southern California to Salt Lake City.
His friend also is thinking of buying, and saving money on fuel is high on that prospective buyer's list of why he's interested.
And saving on maintenance. Not just money but the hassle of getting your car to and from the service center several times each year. And having smog checks.

• Funny
Reactions: HumanGenome