Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All but one supercharger spots used for hotel parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what would it take to make a 25' Supercharger extension cord just in case? :smile:

Tesla could provide such an extension cord at each SuperCharger site, inside a "locked box" of some kind, you would have to call them to request the combination or have them remotely open it. There are several issues with this:

1. Such a cable is going to be extremely heavy, and difficult to muscle around. I estimate it would weigh more than 75 pounds, given the gauge of the copper required.
2. Assumes you will temporarily "park" in an adjacent availble space, or worse, block several ICE cars parking lengthwise in front of them. If you block any other car, you will need to stay onsite, or I can see several confrontations happening, not good.
3. Stowing this cable back in it's lock box will also be a pain, and not all owners might bother. This cable is going to be quite costly, and leaving it outside it's lock box, it's certainly going to be stolen for it's copper content by thieves and scrapped.
4. Hotels are a different issue than the busy Walgreens I posted. Hotel guests are unlikely to be moving their car once they are parked, on the other hand, busy retail locations such as the Walgreens photo I posted above, if you wait 15-20 minutes, it's very likely one of the ICE drivers will leave, and you'll be able to charge.

I don't think the extension cable idea is going to happen, just too many issues, cost, liability (if the cable gets damaged and someone uses it and gets electrocuted/shocked)

Tesla could provide such an extension cord at each SuperCharger site, inside a "locked box" of some kind, you would have to call them to request the combination or have them remotely open it. There are several issues with this:

1. Such a cable is going to be extremely heavy, and difficult to muscle around. I estimate it would weigh more than 75 pounds, given the gauge of the copper required.
2. Assumes you will temporarily "park" in an adjacent availble space, or worse, block several ICE cars parking lengthwise in front of them. If you block any other car, you will need to stay onsite, or I can see several confrontations happening, not good.
3. Stowing this cable back in it's lock box will also be a pain, and not all owners might bother. This cable is going to be quite costly, and leaving it outside it's lock box, it's certainly going to be stolen for it's copper content by thieves and scrapped.
4. Hotels are a different issue than the busy Walgreens I posted. Hotel guests are unlikely to be moving their car once they are parked, on the other hand, busy retail locations such as the Walgreens photo I posted above, if you wait 15-20 minutes, it's very likely one of the ICE drivers will leave, and you'll be able to charge.

I don't think the extension cable idea is going to happen, just too many issues, cost, liability (if the cable gets damaged and someone uses it and gets electrocuted/shocked)
Your response to ChadS's suggestion of a 25' Supercharging extension cable was indeed thoughtful, but I think ChadS was joking. Please note the smiley at the end of his post. Please note mine too. No offense!
:biggrin:

Your response to ChadS's suggestion of a 25' Supercharging extension cable was indeed thoughtful, but I think ChadS was joking. Please note the smiley at the end of his post. Please note mine too. No offense!
:biggrin:

I know :) just trying to show how impractical it is, to even consider it.
Signage, painting parking spots green, and as a last resort red/orange/green cones are about all we can hope for...

actually painting the pavement green has turned out to be one of the most effective ways of deterring ICE'ing

Let's organize a supercharger graffiti day. We'll form groups localized around the closest superchargers, making sure we cover them all. We'll go out, buy a bunch of green paint and ski masks. At 3:00am on National Plug-In Day we'll all meet at the superchargers in our electric cars and ski masks, and proceed to "graffiti" all the supercharger spots green on the pavement and go home. Then we'll meet later that day and pretend like nothing happened and be like 'OMG Tesla painted all the spots green for National Plug In Day! How cool is that!!!"

Another option is to start a TV show like Cheaters. We'll wait with a camera crew at their car that's parked in the supercharger spot, and when we see them proceeding towards the car we'll go running up with the camera crew and start getting in their faces and yelling at them "HOW DARE YOUUUUU!! YOU LIAR YOU CHEATER YOUUUUU [BLEEP] [BLEEP] [EXPLETIVE] [BLEEP]" and then slap the guy. or gal. in either case it'll make for some good reality TV.

From musings on the strait and narrow. The spaces in Lusk, WY seem to be some of the prime spots at The Covered Wagon Motel parking lot, but somehow, I don't think being ICE'd here is going to be much of a problem...

Lusk.jpg

From musings on the strait and narrow. The spaces in Lusk, WY seem to be some of the prime spots at The Covered Wagon Motel parking lot, but somehow, I don't think being ICE'd here is going to be much of a problem...

View attachment 40664

Wow. Just Wow. A motel? Really? Well I don't know what it's like out there in WY, but AFAIK many states including mine use good ol tax payer money to house sex offenders in motels. I'd be careful with your kids around that station. Don't let them wander :/ http://westdeptford.patch.com/groups/sex-offenders/p/sex-offenders-residing-at-hotels-and-motels quoted right from the first line in this article:
The public should be made aware that in almost every city Hotels/Motels are housing sex offenders.
honestly that's the last place I'd be putting a supercharger station. I don't know what they were thinking.

I've suggested elsewhere that a device be installed at Superchargers that will provide some alert (sound / flashing light) if an ICE parks in a Tesla space. I think this could be easily achieved because Teslas are internet-connected and have GPS.

And ICE cars are made of iron and steel. Not much of that in a Tesla. Easily magnetically detected, wouldn't you think? Don't need internet or GPS.

Have you ever been to Lusk, WY, Yobigd20? It's a small town, 40 miles from the next small town in Wyoming, the state with the lowest population density of any in the lower 48. There are no Hiltons, Marriotts, or any other modern business hotels. The motel where the Superchargers are located is well rated. Why would you smear a place you don't know?

I'm not suggesting that Wyoming has no sex offenders; but I would be very surprised indeed if any of them were being put up at state expense at a motel in Lusk.

Last edited:
Wow. Just Wow. A motel? Really? Well I don't know what it's like out there in WY, but AFAIK many states including mine use good ol tax payer money to house sex offenders in motels. I'd be careful with your kids around that station. Don't let them wander :/ http://westdeptford.patch.com/groups/sex-offenders/p/sex-offenders-residing-at-hotels-and-motels quoted right from the first line in this article: honestly that's the last place I'd be putting a supercharger station. I don't know what they were thinking.

Have you ever been to Lusk, WY, Yobigd20? It's a small town, 40 miles from anywhere in Wyoming, the state with the lowest population density of any in the lower 48. The motel is well rated. Why would you smear a place you don't know?

I'm not suggesting that Wyoming has no sex offenders; but I would be very surprised indeed if any of them were being put up at state expense at a motel in Lusk.

Agree completely with stevezzzz. It's irresponsible to make a blanket statement like that about a motel, ANY motel, unless you have facts about that PARTICULAR motel.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh geez. You quoted someone's BLOG! C'mon, that's ridiculous. And they said hotels, too. So should Tesla keep superchargers away from all hotels, too?

What people who talk about towing and painting the spots seem to be forgetting is that Tesla in most cases does not own the parking spaces the local property owner does. They have to work with them and do what they want, that is why you are starting to see spots that are also labeled as general parking for 30 minutes. Outside of talking to the manager of the property where these issues take place there really isn't much that can be done.

Have you ever been to Lusk, WY, Yobigd20? It's a small town, 40 miles from the next small town in Wyoming, the state with the lowest population density of any in the lower 48. There are no Hiltons, Marriotts, or any other modern business hotels. The motel where the Superchargers are located is well rated. Why would you smear a place you don't know?

Completely agree with SteveZzzz! Its great for Tesla to find this outpost in Wyoming. Here is a street view from Google Maps of the motel. They have picnic tables and a kids' play structure. This looks like a pretty nice piece of Americana to me.

Lusk.jpg

Wow. Just Wow. A motel? Really? Well I don't know what it's like out there in WY, but AFAIK many states including mine use good ol tax payer money to house sex offenders in motels. I'd be careful with your kids around that station. Don't let them wander :/ http://westdeptford.patch.com/groups/sex-offenders/p/sex-offenders-residing-at-hotels-and-motels quoted right from the first line in this article: honestly that's the last place I'd be putting a supercharger station. I don't know what they were thinking.

You have obviously never been to Wyoming. Pretty low tolerance for social parasites and idiots in a place like Wyoming. Cracked up to hear someone from the Northeast comment on something in Wyoming. I can pretty much guarantee you don't need to lock your doors in Lusk unless someone from the Northeast is passing thru.

What people who talk about towing and painting the spots seem to be forgetting is that Tesla in most cases does not own the parking spaces the local property owner does. They have to work with them and do what they want, that is why you are starting to see spots that are also labeled as general parking for 30 minutes. Outside of talking to the manager of the property where these issues take place there really isn't much that can be done.

I might be wrong but I thought the spaces were leased by Tesla.

Agree completely with stevezzzz. It's irresponsible to make a blanket statement like that about a motel, ANY motel, unless you have facts about that PARTICULAR motel.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh geez. You quoted someone's BLOG! C'mon, that's ridiculous. And they said hotels, too. So should Tesla keep superchargers away from all hotels, too?

Completely agree with SteveZzzz! Its great for Tesla to find this outpost in Wyoming. Here is a street view from Google Maps of the motel. They have picnic tables and a kids' play structure. This looks like a pretty nice piece of Americana to me.

You have obviously never been to Wyoming. Pretty low tolerance for social parasites and idiots in a place like Wyoming. Cracked up to hear someone from the Northeast comment on something in Wyoming. I can pretty much guarantee you don't need to lock your doors in Lusk unless someone from the Northeast is passing thru.

You're all right. I don't know a thing about Wyoming. And I wasn't looking to smear anyone or any place. I was just making a general statement, which is somewhat biased considering my home town (hate it, I'm moving soon) specifically has two or three motels (one of which is 3 blocks away from me) that the state of NJ decided to put up the most severe repeat offenders. And another motel that is 2 blocks from me in the other direction AFAIK used to be notorious for running some sort of, oh let's say 'lady-service'. God I hate NJ. Can't wait to get out. It can't happen soon enough. Perhaps I should move to WY if it's so peaceful and quiet :)

I might be wrong but I thought the spaces were leased by Tesla.

Right but leasing and owning are two different things, they still need to comply with the property owners wishes. I don't have a solution to the issue just adding data that should be considered in the discussion. Right now the only thing that can be done is talking to the property managers in the locations that this kind of this is happening. I just don't see what Tesla can/will do.