Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All but one supercharger spots used for hotel parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla owners should know better than to park overnight and take up a spot for eight hours. The appropriate thing to so is come back outside and move the car in one hour, or go down an hour early to plug it in. This is an affluent enough group to be able to figure that out.

Tesla owners maybe, but there is no protection from car reporters/bloggers...

From Electric Holiday Road Trip - 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Mt. Shasta's Supercharger is located in the parking lot of the Tree House, a really nice place to stop for the night. We arrived at 9:30 p.m. with 68 miles left over and plugged in knowing the Model S would be absolutely full by the time we left the next morning. In reality it was full before my head hit the pillow.

Ive said it before.... But here goes nothing....

there are a lot of assumptions on this board that every model s driver is like the people on this board. In reality, we are the minority. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of people who haven't talked to another model s owner and are used to plugging in every night and going to sleep. The hotel locations invite that behavior. They might not even realize the troubles they might cause. They are just used to "oh a charger, I'll plug in for the night"... The only thing we can do is politely leave a note if we notice this behavior.

Ive said it before.... But here goes nothing....

there are a lot of assumptions on this board that every model s driver is like the people on this board. In reality, we are the minority. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of people who haven't talked to another model s owner and are used to plugging in every night and going to sleep. The hotel locations invite that behavior. They might not even realize the troubles they might cause. They are just used to "oh a charger, I'll plug in for the night"... The only thing we can do is politely leave a note if we notice this behavior.

They should be used to people at gas stations filling up their car and leaving it at the pump to go inside, order a sandwich, hit the bathroom, grab some snacks, pay for their gas and all of the above while there is a line of people at the pumps waiting to fill up.

On top of knowing that, if they have ever planned a road trip in their EV they should absolutely know better.

I think there's a simple solution to icing of supercharger spots.

1. Implement Absurdly High suspension setting that's measured as N feet.
2. Put N foot curbs around each supercharger stall.
3. When approaching a supercharger stall, Model S automatically limits speed to <= 5mph and informs the driver that Absurdly High suspension setting is being engaged.

Hotels create a unique problem in that iced spaces are likely to remain iced all night. If a hotel has too few spaces for guest parking I can understand their allowing icing by guests, however, this can create a serious problem for a tesla driver arriving late at night with no other options. This can be easily mitigated by coneing at least one space for charging only. At least this space will have turnover and will likely be available late at night. Certainly not an ideal solution, but it does give a traveling tesla an option.

+1

Marriott could have desk clerks park their OWN CARS in the TESLA bays, especially Friday and Saturday evenings. Much better to have friendly ICEing than unfriendly. At Glenwood Springs, CO the problem is not insufficient parking for guests, it is that the extra parking (huge!) is off to the west and not conveniently between the two Marriott buildings. Plus the dozen or so contractor's pickups, trailers and heavy equipment taking prime spots. Management just has to take a bit of supportive effort here and elsewhere.

> Absurdly HIGH Suspension Setting [brianman]

And sell MSes to the Cowboy Market, allowing them to drive around town (under 40 mph) at this Elevation. Would sell like hotcakes!

Congrats on post #10k, Brianman ! ! !
--

Last edited:
I think there's a simple solution to icing of supercharger spots.

1. Implement Absurdly High suspension setting that's measured as N feet.
2. Put N foot curbs around each supercharger stall.
3. When approaching a supercharger stall, Model S automatically limits speed to <= 5mph and informs the driver that Absurdly High suspension setting is being engaged.

:crying: (see sig)

It's been said repeatedly, but posting your cell-phone # in the window of your MS would seem to solve this issue. If you decide to crash while charging you have the possibility of being awakened in the middle of the night to move your car. Seems like a fair exchange.

Here is an idea to aid this problem rather than relying on the etiquette of the collective

Tesla owner register credit card with Tesla (maybe require to use Supercharger even if free, could just do this for cars sold at some future date so current owners all remain happy)
Pay for remaining plugged into supercharger after full + some grace period

I know Tesla probably doesn't want to be police but it seems they have to deal with this as number of cars scale.

The reality is that intended Supercharger usage patterns are somewhat antithetical to hotel guest needs. Supercharger stalls should be high-rate in & out turnover, hotels typically have low-rate long-term guests.

While I understand the need to try and find space to accommodate supercharger stalls, the reality is that they would be ideally located in parking spaces that are:

1) Not generally needed by ICE vehicles (the LEAST desirable parking spots at the far end of the lot)

2) If occasionally needed by ICE vehicles, in areas where parking stints are relatively short (convenience stores good; movie theaters & shopping malls bad)

3) Not likely to encourage long-term usage by other Teslas (hotels, airports, etc...)

So, if a hotel lot ends up being the best logistical choice for a Supercharger, in the best of all possible scenarios, they would be as far away from general hotel parking stalls as possible to accommodate road-tripping travelers.
It may be that Tesla is concerned about vandalism and the safety of its customers such that an out-of-the-way install might be less desirable.

When I was at the Glenwood Springs Supercharger on Wednesday, I noticed a couple of small orange cones by one of the stalls. I went in to thank the folks in the Marriott Residence Inn. The assistant manager was at the desk, and he gave me a nice, "you're welcome, we are seeing a couple of Teslas a day now," reply. He can see the Supercharger Stalls

Without prompting, he mentioned the problem of non-Tesla cars parking in the Charging Stalls. He said the small cones were temporary, and they were getting some custom cones to put out there any time the lot got busy. Nice to see the hotel being proactive. I told him how all of the Tesla owners coming through would appreciate their effort!

When I was at the Glenwood Springs Supercharger on Wednesday, I noticed a couple of small orange cones by one of the stalls. I went in to thank the folks in the Marriott Residence Inn. The assistant manager was at the desk, and he gave me a nice, "you're welcome, we are seeing a couple of Teslas a day now," reply. He can see the Supercharger Stalls

Without prompting, he mentioned the problem of non-Tesla cars parking in the Charging Stalls. He said the small cones were temporary, and they were getting some custom cones to put out there any time the lot got busy. Nice to see the hotel being proactive. I told him how all of the Tesla owners coming through would appreciate their effort!

That is the same thing that was being done at Darien North when I used it.