Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All cars need falcon wing doors.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BornToFly

Supporting Member
May 8, 2013
Baby Jet
It was my brother's turn to drive to Park City for mountain biking yesterday. Spaces were tight. There was probably about 1.5ft (or less) to the car on the right in the parking space. Had a child been there he would have opened the rear door of the Audi Q7 and dinged the other car for sure. My bag was in the back seat. I got out of the front passenger seat, opened the rear passenger door, and started to get ready. The door was probably only able to open about 25 degrees. It made it very tight and uncomfortable to twist my body to get my MTB shoes out of the bag, get my camel back ready, sunglasses, gloves, gels, etc. All I could think the entire time was how much better and easier it would be if we had the Model X and I was working under an open FWD. And to think that reviewers so far wish the X had Audi doors.... Morons.

I agree and I think the FWD are brilliant and come in extremely handy in a multitude of situations. This is especially the case for me who has 2 kids in car seats, in both of our 2nd row seats. If you are not sure about the falcon wings, feel that it takes too long to open, draws too much attention, or it is just a plain gimmick then you probably are not utilizing it for what it was intended for.

Kids, car seats and ease of access to the third row.

Elon has 5 kids, he complained about all of the negatives of his then Audi Q7 at the initial reveal event in Feb 2012.

With kids utilizing the the 2nd and/or third row on a daily basis (7 days a week and dozens of times per day) you quickly understand that the rear doors alone make this car the best in the world in what it was designed originally to do. Tow kids and families, eliminating the concerns that standard doors created for people who access the 3rd row daily or use car seats daily.

Somewhere between 2012 and today some of those initially perceptions became lost. Is this really an SUV? Why can't it haul more than an S? Why don't the seats fold, ect ect, but the doors stayed as they were always designed for a purpose.

Now if the doors continue to be buggy and detect false obstacles and do not perform as advertised then yes we all have to eat our doors and wish we stayed with standard doors, but if I don't trust that Elon will get it right, who am I going to trust...Hillary? Donald?

Full disclosure:
I just made an appointment (have to wait until mid July for it!) to have one of my FWDoors looked at.
About 20-30% of the time upon closing, it stops just short and says obstacle detected when there is non.
But I still don't want to go without these doors because how useful they are for me, my wife and the kiddos who utilize them.

It was my brother's turn to drive to Park City for mountain biking yesterday. Spaces were tight. There was probably about 1.5ft (or less) to the car on the right in the parking space. Had a child been there he would have opened the rear door of the Audi Q7 and dinged the other car for sure. My bag was in the back seat. I got out of the front passenger seat, opened the rear passenger door, and started to get ready. The door was probably only able to open about 25 degrees. It made it very tight and uncomfortable to twist my body to get my MTB shoes out of the bag, get my camel back ready, sunglasses, gloves, gels, etc. All I could think the entire time was how much better and easier it would be if we had the Model X and I was working under an open FWD. And to think that reviewers so far wish the X had Audi doors.... Morons.

I'm going mountain biking in Whistler in a few weeks. Family of 5. Four bikes on the hitch mount, one on the roof, and a cargo box on the roof. If the X had standard doors, I could EASILY do that exact same set-up. The FaWDs, however, mean that the roof is out of play and that I need to take another vehicle. Funny thing: by adding a hitch to my Model S, and being that I have a roof rack for my S, I could do the same thing. It's only the X, and due to the FaWDs, that can't do this trip.

Single examples don't translate into "all cars."

Reactions: umeshunni
I'm going mountain biking in Whistler in a few weeks. Family of 5. Four bikes on the hitch mount, one on the roof, and a cargo box on the roof...."

How about a dual trailer hitch receiver? Five bike rack on the top hitch. Storage on the bottom hitch.
image_22888.jpg

Or even a combo storage/rack hitch.
hitch-cargo-carrier-bike-rack.jpg

I'm going mountain biking in Whistler in a few weeks. Family of 5. Four bikes on the hitch mount, one on the roof, and a cargo box on the roof. If the X had standard doors, I could EASILY do that exact same set-up. The FaWDs, however, mean that the roof is out of play and that I need to take another vehicle. Funny thing: by adding a hitch to my Model S, and being that I have a roof rack for my S, I could do the same thing. It's only the X, and due to the FaWDs, that can't do this trip.

Single examples don't translate into "all cars."

And yet your argument is a single example of someone needing to carry 5 bikes, which is far more rare than parking in a tight spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
So I think we can all agree that Tesla needs to make the X available with both types of doors. Then there'd be no more b...ing either way. :)
Yes. But, of course, changing to model S type doors and roof would mean a rather large redesign. About half the body panels would be changed, B pillar, roll cage members, air bag locations, side reinforcement, etc. certainly new crash testing. Essentially means a new model of Tesla, though with commonality to the S and X family. I bet we will see the Model Y have normal doors though.

I bet we will see the Model Y have normal doors though.
I think they'll eventually iron out the details of the FWD and they'll become a multi-product offering-X and Y. The Y might be sufficiently high-volume for two versions, though.

There's also the possibility that a future sedan will have regular gullwing doors (single hinge). Or that they'll build a hyperloop to my house. Any of these things could occur.

• Funny
Reactions: EV Family