Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fact Checking

Aug 3, 2018
Vienna
MODERATOR EDIT: Thread's original name has been altered to reflect Tesla Inc's. revelation of pickup truck's nomenclature
Rivian and Ford are going conventional on design and compensating for the aero hit by putting in large batteries, with the hope that battery costs will come down as their federal incentive runs out and they need to price more competitively.

Tesla will [of course] take the opposite approach and make as aerodynamic a pickup as you could imagine, allowing them to squeeze maximum range out of currently affordable battery sizes. An aerodynamic pickup truck will undoubtedly be on the odd side given what we're used to. If the range, power, price, and features clobber the competition, maybe enough people can get past the non-traditional looks. Agree that the pickup truck could basically flop and it wouldn't be end of the world (especially since pickups are mainly an American affection), but missing the mark would be a huge missed opportunity. We'll see!

That's my take as well - I don't think the final design will be too far away from the teased first designs:

ffpw5b0g2hm21.jpg

They might also go with a more traditional styling and use the aerodynamics of the Model Y or Model X:

Tesla-pickup-truck-rendition-black.jpg

2017-tesla-pickup-truck-side-610x338jpg.jpeg

I'm sure they'll come up with something clever to solve the turbulence caused by a traditional flatbed.

But my guess is that Elon's still convinced about the Blade Runner design language.

I see low chance of a 'traditional' truck design:

bpbTWkZYTTOOhQT0L5LsWA

Why block the driver's view with a traditional hood that used to host an ICE engine?

What I'd love to see is a design close to this last image, but instead of a traditional hood in the front, a rounded front with panoramic glass running down in a futuristic but well-proportioned, visually pleasing way - more like a submarine than a truck.

That's not very Blade Runner though.

Why block the driver's view with a traditional hood that used to host an ICE engine?

the same reason that the Model S has a frunk and looks like a conservative upscale sedan: it's hard to sell a weirdmobile, and probably even harder to sell a weirdmobile to the relatively conservative-leaning pickup truck demographic. personally i'm hoping for a more traditional design, but I agree that no signs have pointed that way so far.

And most of those guys will complain that they are broke etc. As if a tile layer needs a 3/4 ton pickup.

You have obviously never done a large tile job! Or even a small one. Everything in a tile job is heavy. Everything from the cement board to the thinset mortar to the tiles and the tools. Very easy to overload a 1/2 ton truck with supplies for one tile job unless you use a trailer. I did a super tiny bathroom and decided to not use the gas-guzzling F-150 but my Mazda CX-5 since the largest supplies were 3x5 sheets of cement board. But once I had the sand, and mortar and a few tools loaded, I was over the GVWR (of almost 1/2 ton). And this was the tiniest bathroom you can imagine. I delivered the tiles on a different trip.

But my guess is that Elon's still convinced about the Blade Runner design language.

bpbTWkZYTTOOhQT0L5LsWA

What I'd love to see is a design close to this last image, but instead of a traditional hood in the front, a rounded front with panoramic glass running down in a futuristic but well-proportioned, visually pleasing way - more like a submarine than a truck.

I really suck at this, but here's a 30 seconds mockup that tries to demonstrate it:

upload_2019-10-9_22-34-55.png

With the glass running down most of the way without interruption, giving unparalleled visibility to the driver and to passengers - while still having an overall 'pickup truck' form factor.

(Yeah, you can stop laughing at my image already, I told you I suck at this! :D)

That would be a very "back to Nature" message as well, resonating with many pickup owners IMHO.

Last edited:
Please don't make anything like one of those 2 lame designs, it need a big battery and more blade runner design. This is where I was this weekend and neither of those 2 would have made it as there weren't any roads.
I had to leave the S at home at home last week after some local flooding damaged the roads and left lots of debris. There was $75 in the fossil fuel pocketbooks I'd rather not give so hurry up with that truck..

IMG_4083.PNG

That's my take as well - I don't think the final design will be too far away from the teased first designs:

ffpw5b0g2hm21.jpg

They might also go with a more traditional styling and use the aerodynamics of the Model Y or Model X:

Tesla-pickup-truck-rendition-black.jpg

2017-tesla-pickup-truck-side-610x338jpg.jpeg

I'm sure they'll come up with something clever to solve the turbulence caused by a traditional flatbed.

bpbTWkZYTTOOhQT0L5LsWA

The only way Tesla can meet their goals for the pickup to have superior load capacity, safety, driving dynamics and range is to make a strong, aerodynamic structure that is not too heavy. The only way to do that is to use the natural strength of the arch (which also lends to aerodynamics). This means the arch will extend to the rear axle. It will be like this:

fe46aceea356bd387ddd0b7a0b41d2c6.jpg

Picture the rear of the arch extending back to the rear axle. This will give it excellent crash safety too. Current pick-up trucks have body on frame construction, a design that is over-weight and has a weak spot in the frame between the cab and bed. The Tesla PU will be uni-body (remember, it will handle like a sports car and have a high load capacity).

You have obviously never done a large tile job! Or even a small one. Everything in a tile job is heavy. Everything from the cement board to the thinset mortar to the tiles and the tools. Very easy to overload a 1/2 ton truck with supplies for one tile job unless you use a trailer. I did a super tiny bathroom and decided to not use the gas-guzzling F-150 but my Mazda CX-5 since the largest supplies were 3x5 sheets of cement board. But once I had the sand, and mortar and a few tools loaded, I was over the GVWR (of almost 1/2 ton). And this was the tiniest bathroom you can imagine. I delivered the tiles on a different trip.

I was gonna say. My back hurts just thinking about the last tile job I did, as does my SUV's rear axle.

The only way Tesla can meet their goals for the pickup to have superior load capacity, safety, driving dynamics and range is to make a strong, aerodynamic structure that is not too heavy. The only way to do that is to use the natural strength of the arch (which also lends to aerodynamics). This means the arch will extend to the rear axle. It will be like this:

fe46aceea356bd387ddd0b7a0b41d2c6.jpg

Picture the rear of the arch extending back to the rear axle. This will give it excellent crash safety too. Current pick-up trucks have body on frame construction, a design that is over-weight and has a weak spot in the frame between the cab and bed. The Tesla PU will be uni-body (remember, it will handle like a sports car and have a high load capacity).

Honda's first gen Ridgeline went along the lines you described. But notice their 2nd gen Ridgeline looks very conventional and Honda's engineers found a way to make it stronger.

Just take Elon at his word when trying to guess what the truck will look like. From Tesla Reddit.

5vlcn5alwl531.jpg

The EV Blogs do their credibility no favors when they continue to post renders of the Tesla's Pickup not grounded in reality.

Last edited:
Honda's first gen Ridgeline went along the lines you described. But notice their 2nd gen Ridgeline looks very conventional and Honda's engineers found a way to make it stronger.

Just take Elon at his word when trying to guess what the truck will look like. From Reddit.

5vlcn5alwl531.jpg

The EV Blogs do their credibility no favors when they continue to post renders of the Tesla's Pickup not grounded in reality.

Yep, that's pretty much what I expect it to look like. But as Elon said, the magic is in the details.

I am thinking Master Chief and Warthog from Halo. Looking forward to ordering one with Gatling gun option.

Like this?

That too has the problem of the driver not having visibility of the front of the vehicle due to the big hood with a big front engine.

I think the Pickup Truck design will use all the advantages of a grounds up EV design.

Yup. Our bathroom is using more then 1500lbs of tile and tile supplies. It’s not that big but has 1/2 tiled walls. Last kitchen filled up a 1500 series truck as well with just tiles and tile supplies.

the same reason that the Model S has a frunk and looks like a conservative upscale sedan: it's hard to sell a weirdmobile, and probably even harder to sell a weirdmobile to the relatively conservative-leaning pickup truck demographic. personally i'm hoping for a more traditional design, but I agree that no signs have pointed that way so far.

I think people are being mislead on the "Cyberpunk" aspect, if the Pickup looks unusual , there will be a good functional reason for that..
And there is a good chance the team may have walked Elon back from the more edgy aspects of the design... if those aspects serve no functional purpose.

I'm expecting a functional workhouse that makes sense for commercial operation, particularly construction, with the air compressor powering a nail gun, and the power outlets powering, or recharging tools..... there will be less need for temporary power connections, or generators, on construction sites....
Combine that will ample storage space, speed and towing capacity...
Owners can get to a job quickly, for a low cost, and have most of what they need right there in the truck...

I'll be disappointed if it isn't optimised for commercial operation... money counts, and lower overheads mean more profit, or lower prices, and lower prices mean more business. So if driving a Tesla pickup gives an owner a commercial edge over the competition, that is a demand driver. In fact for real commercial use, function is more important than aesthetics...

Internet connectivity and being able to maintain communication with customers at all times is also important, being able to charge a mobile phone while on a work-site is a big advantage.. Being able to use the browser or navigation in the truck, while talking to on the phone customers, is also an advantage...

Last edited:
With a focus on range efficiency they are going to have to do something neat with a bed cover. I'm most excited to see that. There is a big tradespace but a lot of it leads to ugly aesthetics... I am hoping they find a way to make it look cooler, operate easier, and have lower drag than a standard soft cover.

On another note a traditional nose could be used to keep the drag area small - a factor that is just as important as the drag coefficient to total drag force.

On another note a traditional nose could be used to keep the drag area small - a factor that is just as important as the drag coefficient to total drag force.

The size of the nose does not impact the cross section unless it bulges out past the main body. The taper does change the drag coefficient just like the bed as you mention.

Of course, the allocation of drag to Cd vs area is somewhat arbitrary.

With a focus on range efficiency they are going to have to do something neat with a bed cover. I'm most excited to see that. There is a big tradespace but a lot of it leads to ugly aesthetics... I am hoping they find a way to make it look cooler, operate easier, and have lower drag than a standard soft cover.

Put a tent on it to cover the bed, then I'm definitely all in...

Reactions: Xenoilphobe

Just take Elon at his word when trying to guess what the truck will look like. From Tesla Reddit.

5vlcn5alwl531.jpg

Speculation follows ... I'm probably wrong ....

This render is closest iMO, and to me Cyber-punk/Blade-Runner probably means even more of a wedge shape.
Wipers are an issue but my thoughts are these wipers would solve the problem:- Tesla's patent for a stealthy, electromagnetic wiper is perfect for the new Roadster
I also think the cabin may have a glass roof and the windscreen and roof will be made from the same glass as the Semi windscreen.
The advantage there being the ability to install the roof last as per Model 3.