Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty dope.

EKUheaRUYAAM4pL

I don't have enough mechanical knowledge to know if its really an issue, but someone on twitter had posited that putting the Ford into four wheel drive would've destroyed its transmission from being locked while dragged backward. Maybe it isn't an issue, but I'd be careful if it was my truck...
That may...or may not...be of concern to the Ford's automatic transmission. It is not of concern to me, however, as mine is their no-longer-available manual transmission. Which is one reason I've held on to the truck - its '08 model year was the last time one could get it with a hand shaker. Pretty good truck, overall....though I've gone from being satisfied with its powerplant to really hating it. And to think that at one time I had six diesels, all simultaneously...

Reactions: replicant
Open how? It's a different angle than the body panels below, preventing roll-down.

The side windows have a similar issue, that's why they're so deeply inset.

Changing topics, anyone see this render? It's better than the others I've seen. You could get a lot of this effect by making the upper "sail" out of black plastic, IMHO. It opens to access storage, so there's no reason it has to be steel. I'd also like to see the "roof peak" flattened. A one foot flat area would probably help aerodynamics, too.

I think it needs to be steel for structural reasons and for the same reason the roof shape needs to be retained.
But it can be a wrap, or glue on plastic or some other suitable option..
A bit of dressing up can make it look at lot better.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lasairfion
That may...or may not...be of concern to the Ford's automatic transmission. It is not of concern to me, however, as mine is their no-longer-available manual transmission. Which is one reason I've held on to the truck - its '08 model year was the last time one could get it with a hand shaker. Pretty good truck, overall....though I've gone from being satisfied with its powerplant to really hating it. And to think that at one time I had six diesels, all simultaneously...

Ouch, good bye clutch.

Presumably they could be closed.

Sure, just wondering what the R value of leaky canvas is. How much power is needed to keep things nice back there? If the pack is under the bed and you can get conductive/ radiative heating off that.

While I'm jabbering. Does the CT have a radiator, or does it dump heat through the skin?

That may...or may not...be of concern to the Ford's automatic transmission. It is not of concern to me, however, as mine is their no-longer-available manual transmission.
My concern would be the transfer case, depending on the design. You'd want to be in Lo Lock, which in many transfer cases counts on some slippage in dirt or snow to avoid gear binding and you can't use it on pavement without risking major damage. Of course if the wheels immediately start slipping and smoking it might not be a problem.

If you have a constant pulling force and are at zero speed for an extended time, you'll probably be at zero speed forever.;)
If you get any non zero speed, then you'll accelerate the load up untill losses equal force.

Then there is the use of momentum and the tow line compliance. If you can build speed before the line is fully stretched, then that impulse can break static friction. Trains sometimes reverse to put slack between all the cars before accelerating.

Edit typo and errent emoji

Your point about breaking static friction is right but if there is any (static friction) then pulling an infinite load will leave you stopped forever anyway.

Of course when I said zero I meant near zero. Most people would think they were stopped when moving 1E-4 MPH.

Reactions: mongo
With 250K reservations now, surely they have to think about bringing production forward
I don’t think that ball is in their court right now. Model Y wouldn’t take so long if they weren’t battery constraint. Also there are a ton of questions to be answered as far as how the truck will be produced. A brand new assembly line will have to be constructed, it may be easier than model 3 ramp up but it could present a ton of unexpected challenges.
The timeline for all their vehicles is currently very tight. Model Y will take up most of 2020, Roadster will likely begin taking configurations at the end of 2020, Semi will need to be rolled out in mass in the first part of 2021 and the end of 2021 will be the earliest time to get the Cybertruck out.
I think Cybertruck will make a lot of appearances over the next two years though. It’s too polarizing/popular amongst the media to not get shown off every chance they get.
I’m excited to see it rolling on the street, but we’ll have to be patient. Lots to look forward to!

With 250K reservations now, surely they have to think about bringing production forward
I hope not. When Tesla got 400,000 reservations for the 3 they spent a ton of money to try to bring production forward. This went badly and they ended up starting mass production about when they originally planned. Hopefully they learned lessons from this.

I don’t think that ball is in their court right now. Model Y wouldn’t take so long if they weren’t battery constraint. Also there are a ton of questions to be answered as far as how the truck will be produced. A brand new assembly line will have to be constructed, it may be easier than model 3 ramp up but it could present a ton of unexpected challenges.
The timeline for all their vehicles is currently very tight. Model Y will take up most of 2020, Roadster will likely begin taking configurations at the end of 2020, Semi will need to be rolled out in mass in the first part of 2021 and the end of 2021 will be the earliest time to get the Cybertruck out.
I think Cybertruck will make a lot of appearances over the next two years though. It’s too polarizing/popular amongst the media to not get shown off every chance they get.
I’m excited to see it rolling on the street, but we’ll have to be patient. Lots to look forward to!
Seems like Elon isn’t a “Serial processing” type of guy... SpaceX seems to pump out new stuff fairly quickly. Here’s to hoping “parallel processing” is the real plan. Under promise, over deliver, perhaps?

Seems like Elon isn’t a “Serial processing” type of guy... SpaceX seems to pump out new stuff fairly quickly. Here’s to hoping “parallel processing” is the real plan. Under promise, over deliver, perhaps?
Tesla has to operate for shareholders, where as SpaceX can do things how they like. I think Elon would like to shake his timeline issues by getting Tesla Semi and Roadster out near their intended dates, but more importantly have Model Y on the road in a big way in 2020. I know they have small teams working on each project, but some of the money allocation will be going to model y and semi in 2020, where FSD will receive even more support. These are the money making productions for them. But anything is possible, the more money Tesla has at their disposal the faster everything kicks into gear.

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc