Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dragging the F-150 uphill put a lot more strain on the CT than pulling a similar weight trailer as the coefficient of friction would be at least an order of magnitude greater due to the F150 wheels turning in the opposite direction

Minor correction: it has no impact on coefficient of friction. That’s entirely determined by the materials/surface characteristics of the wheels and the road. The backwards force of friction is determined by that coefficient and the weight of the cybertruck.

It does, however, offer an increased backwards force beyond just towing a passively rolling object.

Reactions: jerry33
Standing in line at the grocery store this morning, I hear one bag guy at the next checkout line talk to the cashier and bag guy in my checkout line:

BAG1: Hey dude did you hear Tesla finally came out with its pickup truck
BAG2: Oh really? No hadn't heard that
BAG1: Yeah dude. Not much to look at.

When it was finally my turn to pay the cashier, I got to talking to BAG1 and BAG2 and CASHIER.

Me: Hey did I hear you talking about the Tesla truck?
BAG1: Yeah that was me dude
Me: I just ordered one
[every single person, including little old ladies, stops to hear this conversation, everybody smiling]
BAG1: No way dude
Me: Way.
BAG1: But they're so ugly
Me: But the specs are awesome
BAG1: I will grant you that dude but whoa
Me: 2.9 seconds zero to sixty
BAG1: That's insane dude
[little old lady grinning like "Imma gonna get one too"]

Cybertruck. Don't leave home without it.®
I've been teasing people by asking them if they need their manly truck to be pretty. ;)

Minor correction: it has no impact on coefficient of friction. That’s entirely determined by the materials/surface characteristics of the wheels and the road. The backwards force of friction is determined by that coefficient and the weight of the cybertruck.

It does, however, offer an increased backwards force beyond just towing a passively rolling object.
I don't see what you said is any different from what I said. I was comparing the coefficient of friction of the F150 tire spinning in the opposite direction against a trailer, usually equipped with wheels. Notice the "than" clause in my sentence.

and every day the line grows with 6months.

You should just put in the reservation.

You never know if you need the cybertrck in 4-5 years. would suck not to have a reservation then. ;-)

True. My wife just reserved a Tri-motor for pulling her horse trailer. She said the "wimpy" range of 300+ miles of my dual motor isn't going to cut it when she has her horse in tow. I told her we don't need two Cybertrucks and she said then get the tri-motor. I told her I didn't want to wait that long and she said that proves we need two!

Sometimes she makes more sense than I do! ;)

Last edited:
Frankly, being able to park an electric car directly in the kitchen and load the shopping direct from the trunk into the cupboards would be kinda awesome.

Nobody thinks you need to keep an electric hairdryer in a special part of the house away from where we live, why is a vehicle any different? Make use of all that extra room in the kitchen/garage while the car is out 'at work'
I'm so looking forward to getting all the road dirt on our hardwood flooring. Esp in the rain.

People with carpets will love it even more !

I don't see what you said is any different from what I said. I was comparing the coefficient of friction of the F150 tire spinning in the opposite direction against a trailer, usually equipped with wheels. Notice the "than" clause in my sentence.

The coefficient of friction on the F150 is the same whether it’s actively spinning its wheels or not, and given the same tires, it’s the same as that of a trailer. If it loses traction spinning said wheels in the opposite direction, it’s actually lower than a passively rolling trailer.

I think you just mean that the rearward force is greater, which is true so long as it doesn’t lose traction.

• Disagree
Reactions: hacer
I know this is posted as funny, but was talking to friends recently about electric bikes and... it occurred to me that the era of electric cars and bikes really does mean a psychological change from where vehicles are kept. We keep vehicles in a garage, and not say...an open-plan kitchen/garage because they are smelly, full of oil and fuel, and emit dangerous fumes., But not any more.

Frankly, being able to park an electric car directly in the kitchen and load the shopping direct from the trunk into the cupboards would be kinda awesome.

Nobody thinks you need to keep an electric hairdryer in a special part of the house away from where we live, why is a vehicle any different? Make use of all that extra room in the kitchen/garage while the car is out 'at work' :D
Your hair dryer doesn't drive over roadkill and dog crap.

With 250K reservations now, surely they have to think about bringing production forward

I doubt that will be possible, as the low pricing indicates the need for a huge reduction in the pricing of the batteries. This would probably require both a big breakthrough in battery tech and huge increase in economies of scale, IMHO.

Last edited:
Here's one with some good visualizations https://i.imgur.com/MnY9lDO.jpg but I would take its deduced drag numbers with a grain of salt as it's for a 3D model built from press pictures and I think the real deal is probably better.

Plus... Tesla typically tweaks aerodynamics between reveal of prototype and delivering finished vehicles. They've got 2 years to work on this :)

Reactions: davepsilon
The coefficient of friction on the F150 is the same whether it’s actively spinning its wheels or not, and given the same tires, it’s the same as that of a trailer. If it loses traction spinning said wheels in the opposite direction, it’s actually lower than a passively rolling trailer.

I think you just mean that the rearward force is greater, which is true so long as it doesn’t lose traction.
I don't believe that is the case. The moving friction coefficient of the tire against the road, while maybe 30% to 50% smaller than the static friction coefficient of the same tire against the road, is much much greater than the rolling resistance of a set of free rolling wheels, which have bearings for a reason.

Just try to apply the brake on the trailer and toll it. Once the trailer moves the wheels lost traction, but it still excert much greater resistance comparing to when no brake is applied.