Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Lucid Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In response to Rawlinson saying "We won't have level 4 or level 5 anytime soon. That's pure fantasy. Nobody will.", Elon said:

Rawlinson was never chief engineer. He arrived after Model S prototype was made, left before things got tough & was only ever responsible for body engineering, not powertrain, battery, software, production or design.

There's some semantics to parse here. Rawlinson was chief vehicle engineer for the Model S, not chief engineer of the whole company. JB Straubel led the powertrain/battery engineering, Franz the design. I think Elon's trying to make a point that Rawlinson isn't qualified to make claims about autonomous driving, but typical for Elon it doesn't come out right.

Lucid ran a commercial during SNL. It was completely generic and unmemorable.
On further thought, I realize my reaction is the reaction of a longtime EV fan sitting in the middle of Silicon Valley. I've been following Lucid for years, so to me this commercial is lame. But 90% of regular people have never heard of Lucid, and a "lame", "boring" commercial that merely announces the existence of Lucid is still useful.

I dumped my CCIV today, don't see any near term upside and Rawlinson seemed evasive in this interview. Didn't give me a good feeling and I was never all that enthusiastic about the company, mostly hoping for some EV hype momentum which seems to have burned out across the board.

577 this year and wouldn't commit to 20k next year. :oops:

I dumped my CCIV today, don't see any near term upside and Rawlinson seemed evasive in this interview. Didn't give me a good feeling and I was never all that enthusiastic about the company, mostly hoping for some EV hype momentum which seems to have burned out across the board.

Lucid expanding showroom presence with first showroom in Canada. It will be located in downtown Vancouver.

"Vancouver is said to be the top market for electric vehicle ownership in North America, making Lucid’s move into the Vancouver market an intelligent one. Last year, 9.2% of all vehicle sales in British Columbia were electric — up from just 4% in 2018. Trailing British Columbia is Quebec where almost 7% of cars sold are electric, followed by 2% of Ontario vehicles. The Montreal market could very well be Lucid’s next target for a showroom as 7.8% of cars sold in the city last year were electric."

Merger pushed back from Q2 to early Q3

Reservations top 9k

Guidance goes from "over 577" to "less than 1000."

Lucid testing BES

74 release candidates produced

Lucid has 6 stores open another 4 stores immenent. Lucid has over 2k employees.

• Informative
Reactions: Tes La Ferrari
It seems like the new Model S may have bested the Lucid Air Cd:

1623339382083.png

Pulled from this video.

Even if only by a little bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckminster
Tesla Model S and Lucid Air are probably pretty close in Cd, but Lucid's smaller frontal area gives the Air a smaller CdA.

Side note: Automakers, especially German ones, have a history of lying about drag coefficients. Mercedes infamously claimed the CLA had the best Cd in the industry when it was actually average. Porsche claims .22 for the Taycan, but with those wheels I think the real number is probably around .24 to .26.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
Tesla Model S and Lucid Air are probably pretty close in Cd, but Lucid's smaller frontal area gives the Air a smaller CdA.

Side note: Automakers, especially German ones, have a history of lying about drag coefficients. Mercedes infamously claimed the CLA had the best Cd in the industry when it was actually average. Porsche claims .22 for the Taycan, but with those wheels I think the real number is probably around .24 to .26.

I didn't know about the CLA, so I looked it up.

The announcements seemed to broadly claim that the CLA would have a Cd of 0.23, and a specific edition would have a Cd of only 0.22.

The reality was that when a U.S.-spec CLA was tested by Car and Driver, it had a Cd of 0.30. The other cars tested were spot-on the claimed value, which suggests that the test was fair and accurate.

Mercedes then claimed only a specific European-only limited edition had a low Cd. That edition had extensive fairings and ducting, wheel arch spoilers, a different exhaust system, and many other differences from the standard model. One key one may have been shutters over the front air inlets, which open as needed. (So the car was slippery when tested in a wind tunnel, but not when running.at highway speeds.)

Oddly, I couldn't find any follow-up tests. The special edition wasn't available in the U.S., so Car and Driver couldn't easily get one for a re-test. Normally you would expect Mercedes to provide one for a competing magazine to write a "they did it wrong" headline. I think that we can read between the lines.