Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Lucid Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Warren’s too extreme IMO and an embarrassment for Tesla “fans”. Stopped watching him long ago. Seriously, a LCIDQ shirt? Any investor who suffered the pains/lies of the TSLAQ group while Tesla was fledging ought to be ashamed to embrace a similar role for another EV company, even if he does view it as a direct competitor to Tesla.

oh the irony. I refuse to believe a company can succeed with a rascal for CEO
0AD2A50C-F26E-4D4E-8E02-0A9414680763.png
FB2D0541-78C8-4704-B395-06D611ECCDA3.png

I'm wondering if there's any potential buyer of Lucid that might make sense. Maybe not, as I don't know what they have that a buyer would want.
A few years ago Lucid was running out of cash, which eventually cost them a couple years of time-to-market. I said at the time Mercedes should scoop them up. Still think it could have worked, the EQS is pretty underwhelming.

But they are actually losing money on every car they make right now.
No, losing on every car you make means higher sales will cause higher losses. If your sale price equals your variable cost then higher sales volume will not change your loss. If sale price exceeds variable cost then higher sales mean lower losses even if gross margin is negative.

If I recall correctly Tesla only lost money, on a gross basis, for their vehicles in a single quarter since they started Model S production.
Correct. It was a much different time, though. Rivian in particular is trying to ramp much faster than Tesla did. Lucid is..... well, I'm not sure what Lucid is trying to do. Achieve some zen state of automotive perfection, perhaps?

No, losing on every car you make means higher sales will cause higher losses. If your sale price equals your variable cost then higher sales volume will not change your loss. If sale price exceeds variable cost then higher sales mean lower losses even if gross margin is negative.
No, losing money on every car sold, means losing money on every car sold. We don't know exactly how costs would go up as they increase production, it could result in less loss per vehicle, or more loss per vehicle.

Even if they tripled deliveries in Q2, to 2,037, and tripled revenue at the same time without the cost of goods going up even a penny, they still would have lost money on every car they delivered. Essentially they can't ramp their way out of this, at least not at the volume they are targeting for this year, they have to find a way to cut costs. I suspect Rivian is in exactly the same situation. (We'll know better about that in just over a week.)

Warren’s too extreme IMO and an embarrassment for Tesla “fans”. Stopped watching him long ago. Seriously, a LCIDQ shirt? Any investor who suffered the pains/lies of the TSLAQ group while Tesla was fledging ought to be ashamed to embrace a similar role for another EV company, even if he does view it as a direct competitor to Tesla.
+1

Even though I'm a superbull, I view Warren as a Tesla fanboi / chearleader / clown stuck in the Tesla-bull-echo chamber. In other words, he appears to be out of touch with reality.

Don't get me wrong, I love being enthusiastic about an investment/stock, but some level-headed self-criticism is always necessary. The Warren Redlich +$100k TSLA price targets by 2030 are a good example of that. He assumes flawless execution at an ever increasing pace with dropping costs as if TSLA never were to encounter any speedbump (regulatory, competition, etc) in any of its markets (cars, energy, AI).

In the same way Warren is oblivious to risks and realities, he is IMO oblivious to the viewpoint /emotions of other people than himself and his close peers. The #LCIDQ-shirt is a perfect example of that. As @Todd Burch put into words perfectly, Warren is oblivious to the damaging effects the TSLAQ group had it seems, since he outright approves that behaviour by partaking in it. He should now better.

oh the irony. I refuse to believe a company can succeed with a rascal for CEOView attachment 836461View attachment 836462

To me it's always seemed like Rawlinson boasts a lot when he should be more humble. He makes big claims before they should be made, almost as if he's selling his company at every opportunity like a window salesman sells door to door. It's always felt somewhat desperate to me and a bit disingenuous.

Reactions: Acroyear
oh the irony. I refuse to believe a company can succeed with a rascal for CEOView attachment 836461View attachment 836462
That final sentence is hilarious: Back in September of 2020 Lucid's CEO explained to Forbes that he knows of no other company than Tesla that has production hell, and that he doesn't plan to experience that with Lucid.

Translation:
September 2022: CEO "We can't produce our cars succesfully, but like all other companies besides Tesla, we'd rather keep quiet about it as to not worry our investors".
March 2022: CEO sells 26% of his ownership.

How do you come up with them burning $2.2B of cash? They had $5.4B at the end of Q1 and have $4.6B now. That looks more like burning $0.8B.

Their wording is slightly different in that Q1 didn't mention investments, but from looking at the Q1 details I think it did include them.)

It looks like they pulled investments out of the Q1 number and then split it between short term and long term assets for the Q2 reporting.
I was wondering about the same thing. I tried to google it and also went through the ER but found nothing on that 1.136 billion short-term investment that suddenly appeared and drained cash reserves. The Q4 ER did have a "short-term investments" line that showed zero (dash), but the Q1 ER did not have that line.

Does anybody know what they sent that money on?

I was wondering about the same thing. I tried to google it and also went through the ER but found nothing on that 1.136 billion short-term investment that suddenly appeared and drained cash reserves. The Q4 ER did have a "short-term investments" line that showed zero (dash), but the Q1 ER did not have that line.

Does anybody know what they sent that money on?
On the call they just said they invested it to get better returns than they were on their cash. But that it was fully liquid and they could sell it at any time to get the cash back.

Agreed. Bulls like him give the 'cult' status to the rest of us. I would also put Gali in that bucket to some extent.

As much as some of you here criticize Omar, I find him to be very knowledgeable and a super fan and nothing more. His FSD videos are excellent.

Lucid is asking their reservation order from "reservation" to "order" to keep the $7500. They are also forcing people to upgrade to their premium sound for $2900

Lucid:
This window is now open, and will remain so until 12 a.m. the morning the bill is passed, which could be as soon as this Friday.
Hummm, is that so?
Bill:
(k) EFFECTIVE DATES.— (1) IN GENERAL.—Except as provided in paragraphs (2), (3), (4), and (5), the amendments made by this section shall apply to vehicles placed in service after December 31, 2022.
So is enacted EoY as pertains to transition?
TRANSITION RULE.—Solely for purposes of the application of section 30D of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, in the case of a taxpayer that— (1) after December 31, 2021, and before the date of enactment of this Act, purchased, or entered into a written binding contract to purchase, a new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle (as defined in section 30D(d)(1) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as in effect on the day before the date of enactment of this Act), and (2) placed such vehicle in service on or after the date of enactment of this Act, such taxpayer may elect (at such time, and in such form and manner, as the Secretary of the Treasury, or the Secretary’s delegate, may prescribe) to treat such vehicle as having been placed in service on the day before the date of enactment of this Act.

Yah, that is the typical meaning, but the timing clause indicates parts do not take effect until later. So transition might allow a car purchased in December to get 2022 credit even if it is delivered in 2023. Otherwise, it's not much of a transition.
They may have worded it that way to try to prevent gaming the credit. But still allowing someone that has actually ordered something before the change that won't be delivered until next year to get what they thought they would. (I know someone that has placed a hard order for a Hyundai EV a month ago that they don't expect to get until the end of the year or next year. So it would be important for them, as they took the $7,500 into account when figuring out if they could afford it.)

But, it does seem to leave a lot of things up to the Secretary of the Treasury to flesh out.

Reactions: mongo
From what I have seen the "binding" contract Lucid offered to try to lock the tax credit in won't qualify as being binding according to the IRS guidlines: Plug-In Electric Vehicle Credit IRC 30 and IRC 30D | Internal Revenue Service

What Is a Written Binding Contract?
In general, a written contract is binding if it is enforceable under State law and does not limit damages to a specified amount (for example, by use of a liquidated damages provision or the forfeiture of a deposit). While the enforceability of a contract under State law is a facts-and-circumstances determination to be made under relevant State law, if a customer has made a significant non-refundable deposit or down payment, it is an indication of a binding contract. For tax purposes in general, a contract provision that limits damages to an amount equal to at least 5 percent of the total contract price is not treated as limiting damages to a specified amount. For example, if a customer has made a non-refundable deposit or down payment of 5 percent of the total contract price, it is an indication of a binding contract. A contract is binding even if subject to a condition, as long as the condition is not within the control of either party. A contract will continue to be binding if the parties make insubstantial changes in its terms and conditions.

I haven't seen an actual Lucid contract, but the article I saw just said that your reservation fee, $300-$1,000, would become non-refundable, which isn't enough to qualify as "binding".

That would mean that Lucid only qualifies for the $7,500 tax credit for vehicles sold for the rest of this year. And they are only planning on making up to 7k cars this year, and they have already delivered ~1k. So up to ~6k more cars get the credit and then they are cut off.

I wonder how many of their 37,000 deposits will cancel once they find out they won't get the $7,500 tax credit.

From what I have seen the "binding" contract Lucid offered to try to lock the tax credit in won't qualify as being binding according to the IRS guidlines: Plug-In Electric Vehicle Credit IRC 30 and IRC 30D | Internal Revenue Service

I haven't seen an actual Lucid contract, but the article I saw just said that your reservation fee, $300-$1,000, would become non-refundable, which isn't enough to qualify as "binding".

That would mean that Lucid only qualifies for the $7,500 tax credit for vehicles sold for the rest of this year. And they are only planning on making up to 7k cars this year, and they have already delivered ~1k. So up to ~6k more cars get the credit and then they are cut off.

I wonder how many of their 37,000 deposits will cancel once they find out they won't get the $7,500 tax credit.

lucid orders.PNG

I have Air Pure reservation and they didn't send a PDF of the contract but just an email confirmation saying that my deposit is now not refundable and that I will likely get the car in Q3. I still don't know if I am gong to get it.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike