Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Nikola Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Nikola's going to pretend to make garbage trucks too now?

They already have 0 revenue (OK, $36,000 in revenue) and 0 products to sell. Now they're going to divert resources to developing garbage trucks? LOL.

I see it as a genius business move. All trucks they were gonna build would have been garbage anyway, now they have a buyer for the garbage trucks ;)

"We make almost a quarter of a million dollars on every truck we sell." by Trevor from Nikola

There's the difference between this chump and Elon. While Musk lowers prices to make EV's more affordable, this chump goes and brags on how much they make on every truck they sell. Profit is currently at $0 as the truck does not exists anyways.

• Disagree
Reactions: Brn2Run
You cannot make this stuff up
Why Nikola Stock Moved Higher Today | The Motley Fool
"In the interview, Milton said he believes that Hyundai has excellent fuel-cell technology, and that Nikola could become a $100 billion company with Hyundai as a partner. Milton said that Nikola has so far made two proposals to Hyundai, but both were rejected."

In other words Nikola has nothing to bring to the table and Hyundai doesn't want any of their stink on them. :eek:

In other words Nikola has nothing to bring to the table and Hyundai doesn't want any of their stink on them. :eek:
It's quite preposterous. If fuel cell was as game changing as he claimed, then he just went to Hyundai and asked them to share their trade secret with a shell of a company. What's gonna happen to those technologies when Nikola goes bankrupt? Hyundai is worth about $18B. He just said Nikola would be worth $100B with Hyundai's technology. You can't be floating around the notion that you can execute better than the people you're trying to mooch off. It's insulting.

It's quite preposterous. If fuel cell was as game changing as he claimed, then he just went to Hyundai and asked them to share their trade secret with a shell of a company. What's gonna happen to those technologies when Nikola goes bankrupt? Hyundai is worth about $18B. He just said Nikola would be worth $100B with Hyundai's technology. You can't be floating around the notion that you can execute better than the people you're trying to mooch off. It's insulting.

Yes, but to play devil's advocate:

1) Nikola does have at least one patent on fast refueling of hydrogen for vehicles. If valid, that might be appealing to a hydrogen automaker.

2) Nikola claims to be installing a hydrogen refueling infrastructure. Talk to any Mirai owner and they'll tell you that there aren't nearly enough hydrogen refueling stations, and that the wait in line to get their turn at the pump can be long, especially since individual pumps break down fairly often. Again, if Nikola is really creating and installing hydrogen refueling stations, that might be appealing to a hydrogen automaker.

That said, if I were Hyundai I'd probably not spend any time talking with Nikola unless I needed the laughs.

Reactions: dl003
2) Nikola claims to be installing a hydrogen refueling infrastructure. Talk to any Mirai owner and they'll tell you that there aren't nearly enough hydrogen refueling stations, and that the wait in line to get their turn at the pump can be long, especially since individual pumps break down fairly often. Again, if Nikola is really creating and installing hydrogen refueling stations, that might be appealing to a hydrogen automaker.

Except that so far, I've only heard them say they will install hydrogen refueling stations along trucking routes that their trucking customers have pre-paid to have stations on. Not sure why that would be of interest to a consumer automaker (or a Badger shopper, for that matter).

Did you guys see the Nikola Badger images Trevor released. No frame just a few parts. So cool lol. And his response for not showing the frame? I thought he was partnering with another OEM.

BA51FD73-C37D-4629-9FE0-78B9AAB9CD99.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: JohnSnowNW
Nikola video of the "Influencer" meeting. Seems to be deleting comments and the link says "unlisted" so I copied the comment I left just in case.

1. Hydrogen will not replace natural gas in homes for a number of reasons, including cost and safety. 2. Energy density increase in batteries IS a weight savings. More energy stored in less mass. 3. Batteries don't lose 20% of their capacity in 2 years. Tesla has packs over 300K miles, of older chemistry, which still had around 90%, and degradation flattens out after that. Newer chemistry does even better. 4. His off handed efficiency calculations comparing fuel cell and batteries is misleading at best. He's close on the vehicle efficiencies but then skews the numbers when talking about the grid to make batteries seem closer to fuel cells than they are. Grid production is irrelevant to the efficiency of the vehicles, be it hydrogen or EV. EV's will always be around 90% efficient and fuel cells around 60%, minus the extra efficiency loss in compressing hydrogen. 5. Different charging protocols are not a barrier, Tesla has adapters in the US and dual ports in China. 6. Tesla can avoid demand charges with Powerpacks and Megapacks at charging stations. Charge off peak at cheap rates, or from solar, and dump charge into vehicles when needed. The batteries can also earn money by doing frequency regulation and demand response if they have extra capacity. 7. The numbers I've seen suggest most semis drive between 300-600 miles a day, which is a single charge over night and a partial charge during a trip for the longer hauls. It's too bad the guests weren't more technically astute and able to challenge the wall of words from Trevor. He's a good salesman for people who don't know better.

Video URL which may or may not work, remove the spaces I put in to avoid hot linking.

youtube.com /watch? v=BRRgh0WLhUM

Nikola video of the "Influencer" meeting. Seems to be deleting comments and the link says "unlisted" so I copied the comment I left just in case.

Video URL which may or may not work, remove the spaces I put in to avoid hot linking.

youtube.com /watch? v=BRRgh0WLhUM

This was clearly another marketing ploy from Trevor, well played.

NKLA has got to be the lulziest company I've ever seen.
It's like bitcoin in 2018. Everyone knows it's going to crash, but everyone also thinks they'll make out before the crash.
NKLA is nothing like Bitcoin. Bitcoin had real potential, was growing exponentially and found many new use cases. Too bad it was hijacked by core and the 1MB limit was never raised, imo that and the following civil war killed Bitcoin’s potential to be something more than it already was. Ethereum is still holding the torch, hopefully they will solve scaling, but they struggle with getting the network effects that Bitcoin, being the first, had.

Imo the reason that NKLA and some other companies can keep these high valuations is that enough investors think that what Tesla did was nothing more than raise money, get some government subsidies and have cult followers. Which totally neglects the hard work they did, how good they are at technology, how fast they have been growing and that they are making rapidly increasing profits.

NKLA then sounds a lot like Tesla. Except that they have bet on the wrong technology, have zero products, don’t have the same vertical integration, don’t have the same rapid improvement, don’t attract the same talent and have real competition in form of Tesla Semi...

NKLA then sounds a lot like Tesla. Except that they have bet on the wrong technology, have zero products, don’t have the same vertical integration, don’t have the same rapid improvement, don’t attract the same talent and have real competition in form of Tesla Semi...

Naw, naw, dude, Nikola is all about Vertical Integration. Trevor keeps saying so.