TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

All discussion of Nikola Motors

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Buckminster, Jun 11, 2020.

1. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

What's the best way to profit on a drop in NKLA?

RT

2. vikings123

vikings123 Supporting Member

Right now puts are very expensive. The borrowing fee for the common stock is very high too if you are thinking about shorting shares. Honestly you are better off waiting for more shares liquidity before you either short or buy puts.

The answer just might be investing more in TSLA. When the market realizes NKLA's master plan is a whole lot of prototypes, CGI renderings and a lot of marketing BS I expect the money to move to TSLA.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  3. ammulder

ammulder '98 GS400 -> P3D+

lol, they be the ones buyin' Hertz...

• Like x 1
  4. renim

renim Active Member

1/2 of NKLA vehicles will probably be BEV, another 1/4 HFC and final quarter H2-PHEV.

As long as nkla avoids the mindset of toyota, honda and hyundai (which was do anything except BEV) then NKLA has a chance.

While i doubt there is much cross ownership between NKLA and TSLA, i suspect that nkla shorts and tsla shorts have a lot of common ownership.

5. willow_hiller

willow_hiller Active Member

Sorry for the cross-thread reply, but this was getting OT in the main thread.

I don't think FCEV is even practical for long distance trucking. Nikola is targeting a range of 500 to 750 miles for their hydrogen semi: Nikola releases semi-trucks Two and Tre, maps out hydrogen network

And it's not instant to fuel either. 15-20 minutes to pump the pressurized tanks.

6. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

Except that they're building BEV trucks only because they couldn't make their core product work...and literally everyone has access to the same BEV components...but most legacy manufacturers are better situated to exploit them.

I do not understand this idea of giving Nikola a chance because they're now doing what everyone else (Daimler, BYD, Volvo, Tesla) is doing.

7. renim

renim Active Member

Volume on BEV, profit on H2.

A truck is limited by either cargo volume, cargo weight or neither (just timing)

BEV will always win on volume, but loads which are both
    1) weight limited
    2) long distance
    Are difficult if not impossible for BEVs (absent driverless trucks)

There will be a cross over distance, beyond which each additional kg of battery reduces payload by same kilogram. That is where a cost optimised H2 can profitably operate, if it competitive versus diesel.

So a company designing both BEV and HFC and H-Phev should in theory be able to offer an optimal solution for each user.

What i mean is this, there is a legal limit on vehicle weight due to road damage. Above a certain payweight/range combination there is a natural duty for hydrogen trucks, that payweight/range will not exist in all countries, some are too small.

8. renim

renim Active Member

A more bizarre vehicle, renault kangoo ZE as BEV or H2-EREV

https://media.renault.ch/__/132199.a0af9887.dl

Basically renault offers it BEV with an additional 5kw H2 fuel cell + h2 tank to double (350 bar) or triple (700bar) its range.

Meanwhile the rest of the world would just double or triple the battery pack.....but its an example of the principle.

9. vikings123

vikings123 Supporting Member

I mean you cannot be serious with this stuff. He is running out of ideas to pump. lol

0985B84D-D919-4D93-B9CC-57589D81443D.jpeg

• Funny x 4
  10. Doggydogworld

Doggydogworld Active Member

They should also team up with Wirecard for payments.

• Funny x 3
  11. tcoombes

tcoombes Supporting Member

Or maybe partner up with someone who can actually build something instead of just talking about it.

12. ammulder

Uhh... someone who can actually build something, like, say, Iveco? Oh, wait...

13. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

As far as I know, Iveco isn't interested in building the Badger...

Honestly, not sure how you build a vehicle from a HS design course render...but I guess we'll find out.

14. ammulder

True, I wasn't clear that you were talking about the Badger. Supposedly they're cutting a deal with an OEM to build, sell, and service the Badger. Certainly all the OEMs have the capacity.

It's not the actual manufacturing that I doubt. It's whether the design is finalized enough to actually manufacture in volume, and whether the business model with all this partnership & outsourcing is going to allow them to make a decent margin without setting sky-high prices.

Also, since the plan is to build Hydrogen stations only on the Semi routes they've pre-sold, I'm not clear why anybody would buy a fuel-cell Badger. Unless they really have a die-hard wish to vacation between the Anheuser-Busch factories and warehouses...?

• Funny x 1
  15. GSP

GSP Member

Thanks for posting your real world experience with a fuel cell vehicle. I did have a couple of questions about this part:

“Now of course, thanks to WFH, last 3 months the car is just sitting in the garage while we continue to pay the lease.”

1) what is “WFH?”
    2) why is your car just sitting in the garage?

Thanks,

GSP

16. ggr

ggr Expert in Dunning-Kruger Effect!

Working From Home. That's why.

• Informative x 2
  17. EV forever

EV forever Supporting Member

Thanks @ggr . Yes, it is WFH for the last 3.5 months - with less than 50 miles total driven during this time.

I understand that there is noting to be done about the lease - everyone is in the same boat. It is just that it is one additional annoyance in a long list of complaints about the car as well as the technology and the way Honda and the local dealer has handled things so far. It also didn't help the Clarity that we got our Tesla 2 months after. The way the two companies have handled everything is a night and day difference.

In addition to the fueling issues I listed before - other issues to mention
    • 3 major recalls to date - the third one required a complete replacement of the fuel cell stack. Neither Honda nor the dealer informed us about the third recall - one fine day the car gave a emergency error saying "low power, requires immediate maintenance" and slowed down on the freeway. Took the car immediately to the dealer, who then informs us of the recall. They didn't have the part anyways, so took 4 weeks to fix during which we had a rental paid for by Honda.
    • There are a ton of software glitches - for e.g. last weekend, we took the car out first time in a few weeks. Well, none of our phones would connect via bluetooth. We had to delete the phones and pair them again. Now the phones are connected, but the car will not display any caller history or the name of the song that is being played. Minor annoyance maybe. But this has happened before, when we contacted the dealer - we were told that the car needed a software upgrade for $185. Obviously, no OTA means we have to take the car in for the upgrade.
    • There are other errors that show up from time to time, each time the answer is 'software upgrade'. Well we are not paying for any software upgrade for a leased car, so we just ignore it.
    • The screen and rearview camera is pathetically bad (maybe because we keep comparing to Tesla). At night if it is raining you might as well be blind while backing up.
    • We keep getting random offers from Honda about promotions related to electric car - even though we don't have an electric Clarity. We also get maintenance messages on the display that are clearly meant for a gas car - it asked for some sort of a transmission check at 2 years! These are not really annoyances, they are just funny and tell you the level of commitment these companies have for the technology.

We have another 8 months left on the lease - we intent to order the Model Y in exactly 6 months from now to replace this car.

• Informative x 2
  18. Oil4AsphaultOnly

Oil4AsphaultOnly Supporting Member

Have you considered swapalease.com or shift.com to be rid of it sooner?

19. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

Early adaptors indeed, because it sounds like Honda shoved something right into your receptacle, so to speak!

• Funny x 1
  20. elasalle

elasalle driVIN(188xx) it !!

lol NKLAQ thread ... :)
    Looks like NKLA has finished running (stagnant last 5 days) ...