Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Nikola Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NKLA beats earnings expectations!!!!!

Um, well, since they don't have any revenue, it just means they spent less than expected. Maybe they saved money on cranes?

https://twitter.com/nikolatrevor/status/1290740028348362752

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 2.00.18 PM.png

• Funny
Reactions: Tslynk67
Uhhh. I don't know if anyone noticed. But there are many photoshop manipulations on the ulm facility photos.

Damn, I hate how the manipulations are so blatant that it makes me get out of my hole and post.

Someone please visit the ulm facility and kill this dumpster fire.

The before photo and "after rendering" are in the earnings report: Nikola Corp | Nikola Corporation Reports Second Quarter Results

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 2.33.10 PM.png

But, not disclosed as such in that report.

i have some hope hydrogen will work for shipping, having refuel stations or loadable tanks at ports isn't hard to organise.

I fuel cells need a controlled environment they will need to dedicate a good spot on the ship...

But on ships the economics of battery/hydrogen just needs to beat diesel...

For land based transport, take one look at the Supercharger network,, imagine what sort of hydrogen refuelling network would be required and what that would cost...

Cost is partially dependent on the number of vehicles refuelling each hour... regardless, stations are expensive to build.. that is before we even start talking about the cost of making hydrogen..

The other reason hydrogen for land based transport is a dumb idea is that I have no doubt Megacharging will work and fast charging in general will get faster. I''m also very confident a Megacharger can be built cheaper than a hydrogen refuelling station.

Nikola would have more credibility if they abandoned hydrogen for land based transport, they are reluctant to do that because then they are only another BEV player.
Nikola's business plan with respect to refueling is not "Build it and they will come", but, rather, "when they come, we will build it". Their first big customer (Anheuser-Busch) are looking at dedicated routes from which their trucks are not intended to deviate, thus, locking in demand for the feuling infrastructure. Things get a lot more dicey when they have to handle the random-walks of smaller customers, whose arfrivals and demands cannot be easily predicted and locked in apriori.

Nikola's business plan with respect to refueling is not "Build it and they will come", but, rather, "when they come, we will build it". Their first big customer (Anheuser-Busch) are looking at dedicated routes from which their trucks are not intended to deviate, thus, locking in demand for the feuling infrastructure. Things get a lot more dicey when they have to handle the random-walks of smaller customers, whose arfrivals and demands cannot be easily predicted and locked in apriori.
I think it gets dicey just from the requirement of buying electricity at 3.5 cents. On the call they said using clean energy was a goal and that getting it completely that way was aspirational. Reading between the lines it appears likely that they intend to use natural gas (for pricing) and supplement with whatever cheap-to-free renewable they can get contracts for.

The CEO spent a lot of time answering the question about the Badger. He says that he was impressed by having 89,000 clicks for interest, but I don’t think so. He was clear that they were never interested in making a pickup and — given what he didn’t say — they just want to dump Trevor’s CAD files on someone else and let them worry about making it.

I must say that, after listening to the call, I have dialed back my expectations of fraud. Sure, there are red flags all over and Trevor gives every indication of being a con, but the reality seems to be that they have ignored first principals and just want to believe. For example, to them getting the 3.5 cents per kWh is just a matter of wheeling and dealing. There is no concern for what the bottom line price of generation is. They don’t know and don’t care: that’s the problem of whoever they partner with.

But what got my attention the most was the line at the beginning of the call about Nikola Motors being vertically integrated. I mean, they constantly talk about having partners do, well, everything. All I can figure is that by “vertically integrated” the mean that they are a middleman, an aggregator that sells a complete package to the customer. But that isn’t what being vertically integrated means.

In fact, they play so loose with the facts of their joint ventures that it still isn’t clear if the factory they just broke ground on will really be theirs, or if it is another company that they have partnered with. They certainly give the impression that it will really be their own, but on reflection it just isn’t clear.

Bottomline, I don’t see Nikola Motors going away anytime soon. Their roadmap looks achievable, at least at the high level they presented. Production levels for the next year or so are at hand built rates. They don’t even plan on production of the fuel cell Tre until 2023. They will have very modest needs for batteries simply because they will only be making a few prototypes.

The biggest near term concern I had was their ability to pay for much of anything past 2020, but I don’t have a head for numbers like I used to and just hearing some tossed around on the call I’m not certain I was keeping things straight. But if my impression was correct they are going to need a cash infusion in 2021. I’m familiar with arguments about capital raises not devaluing the stock, but when the warrants came into play $NKLA dropped like a rock. While I wouldn’t want to short $NKLA, I sure wouldn’t want to be holding the stock either.

I've rather intentionally not followed Nikola, but found an article today talking about their unique bundled lease deal for the trucks. The idea is you can buy (lease actually) your truck, fuel, and maintenance as a single bundled transaction with a lower and fixed cost per mile than buying a new diesel truck.

My first thought reading that is "sounds like an ideal setup for a bear raid". That business model is going to require a pile of investment cash as they build trucks that won't be paid off for years (7 year lease?), while also accumulating fuel and maintenance costs along the way. Even if the payments are ahead of the fuel and maintenance costs each year, that's still slow payment for an expensive vehicle.

Sort of sounds like the business model that did in Solar City, due to being attackable on the financing side. Make the financing expensive enough, or unavailable, and this leasing business model is untenable. And that sounds like something the shorts / company destroyers specialize in.

Funny story (well, I think it's funny). I've been reading "the Wheel" thread too much. Yesterday I decided to buy some Puts on NKLA. But somehow I managed to sell them instead. It wasn't until after hours that I realized my mistake, so I put in a limit order for this morning so I couldn't forget. Anyway, I bought... oops, did it again, I opened the position at 58c for 10x weekly $28 puts, and this morning closed the trade for 43c, making a massive $146! If I'd held to end of day it would have been more, but I'd have been hammered tomorrow.

Uhhh. I don't know if anyone noticed. But there are many photoshop manipulations on the ulm facility photos.

Damn, I hate how the manipulations are so blatant that it makes me get out of my hole and post.

Someone please visit the ulm facility and kill this dumpster fire.

I could not see any manipulations although some of the logo work on the walls looks photoshopped. If you are able to point out the manipulations I think it can make for a very interesting, I mean extremely interesting twitter thread.

Reactions: replicant
Funny story (well, I think it's funny). I've been reading "the Wheel" thread too much. Yesterday I decided to buy some Puts on NKLA. But somehow I managed to sell them instead. It wasn't until after hours that I realized my mistake, so I put in a limit order for this morning so I couldn't forget. Anyway, I bought... oops, did it again, I opened the position at 58c for 10x weekly $28 puts, and this morning closed the trade for 43c, making a massive $146! If I'd held to end of day it would have been more, but I'd have been hammered tomorrow.

Correct phrases to use:
  • Buy to Open
  • Sell to Open
  • Buy to Close
  • Sell to Close
Both in the TSLA Investing Round table and on Motley Fool, too many people leave off that they're really doing. When they say things like: "And my LEAPS are worth..." I have no idea what kind of options trade they're actually in, just that expiration is a ways away.

Glad it worked out for you in the end. I've made this mistake myself, doing a buy to open instead of a sell to open. Thankfully I realized it right away and only lost about $100 on the slippage getting into the wrong position, getting out, and getting into the correct position.

It's always nice to look at a $100 lesson (especially the ones where you make $$), and be able to see them as funny :). Being paid for the lesson is a serious bonus!

Reactions: ggr
I could not see any manipulations although some of the logo work on the walls looks photoshopped. If you are able to point out the manipulations I think it can make for a very interesting, I mean extremely interesting twitter thread.
Come on! The whole right picture is a 3D rendering. It is hard to tell what is real on it at all. Look at the trucks (esp the further away ones), walls, reflections, etc. It is clearly a 3D rendering that they didn't eleven try to make look super real, something like a design rendering for internal use or architectural permit or whatever. They just decided not to disclose that.

Reactions: friit
Correct phrases to use:
  • Buy to Open
  • Sell to Open
  • Buy to Close
  • Sell to Close
Both in the TSLA Investing Round table and on Motley Fool, too many people leave off that they're really doing. When they say things like: "And my LEAPS are worth..." I have no idea what kind of options trade they're actually in, just that expiration is a ways away.
I completely agree, it avoids exactly the kind of confusion I had. I'm also a stickler for getting units correct. I do believe there's enough information in my post to understand exactly what I did... that was the point.